Preshaping Bread Dough

Sun, 24 Feb 2019 15:47:26 -0800
v119.n009.8
* Exported from MasterCook *

                          Bread Dough, Preshaping

Recipe By     : Maurizio Leo
Serving Size  : 0     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Info/How To                     Posted

Preshaping is precisely what it sounds like; it sets the stage for
successful final shaping - and there are many approaches a baker can
take. Some people like to pull the dough together tightly and let it
rest with the seam facing up. Others gently gather the dough and let
it rest seam-side-down for a uniformly smooth surface on top.

Ultimately, the approach is up to the baker. Let's walk through
several considerations that can influence how you preshape your dough.

Most bread recipes call for enough dough to make multiple loaves, but
it can be challenging to divide up a large mass into perfectly sized
pieces on the first try. Typically I'm left with lumps of different
shapes and sizes - not to mention the small scraps I slice off the
larger mounds and stick onto the smaller ones.

To facilitate the final shaping of these unruly forms, I perform a
preshape step to bring some measure of uniformity to the pieces. This
way, when we begin final shaping of our dough - whether it be a
boule, baguette, or anything else - we're starting from a consistent
and orderly structure.

Preshaping also gives us an extra chance to add strength to our
dough. If your divided dough feels a little loose or slack, you can
give it a slightly tighter preshape. This simple act can add
much-needed strength and structure to a dough that might otherwise
prove tricky to shape.

Further, if the dough is especially weak, possibly from undermixing
or overhydration, you can perform a second preshape step to bring
more structure to the dough before shaping. This ensures your dough
will rise high and make it less likely to collapse or spread.

While preshaping is not strictly mandatory, it does provide an
opportunity to check in with your dough, to assess its strength and
fermentation activity. It sets the stage for a more streamlined shaping step.

As is the case with many steps in baking, there's no one right way to
do something; it depends on your preference and what you're comfortable with.

I've refined this method through my own testing and find it
effectively organizes and strengthens the dough without being too
aggressive. However, it's important to make the call in the moment:
Is the dough a little on the weak side? If so, preshape it with more
strength and order. Conversely, if the dough is plenty strong, a
really light hand will suffice.

In addition, think about how soon after preshaping you want to do
your final shaping. If the interval between preshape and shape is
short, then preshape gently. If it's longer, preshape more assertively.

The goal for preshaping is to take each piece and form it into a
loosely round shape with just enough tension on the outside. The
round should hold its shape on the work surface but not be preshaped
so tight that the "skin" on the outside begins to tear. Stop
preshaping when you notice the top is smooth without creases and is
relatively uniform all around - if you're too aggressive with
preshaping you'll end up with a denser loaf of bread.

Turn your dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Then, dust
the top of the dough with flour and divide it into pieces scaled to
your desired dough weight.

Push the blade against the dough, and as you push, turn it slightly
down across your work surface. Both of your hands work in unison:
your empty hand tucks the dough under as you push the blade into the
dough. The motion is quick and gentle; I then remove my blade and
hand from the dough as soon as it comes to rest on the work surface.

Repeat this motion with your blade and hand over and over, gently
rotating the dough each time. You'll notice with each pass that the
dough tightens more as it snags the dry work surface and you scoot it
along. This tightening will be visible on the outside of the dough as
its skin stretches slightly and becomes taut.

Continue with these motions until the dough is in a loose, round
shape. There should be no visible seams or bulging sides. If there
are, continue to gently round the dough and smooth the surface. The
key is to find that balance between just enough tension and not enough.

After you've preshaped all of your dough pieces, let them rest on the
bench before shaping.

If you were to shape your dough immediately after preshaping, it
would be too tight and it could tear. When you give your dough time
to rest, in what's called the "bench rest," you give it time to relax
and spread. This returns extensibility to the uniform pieces,
allowing us to manipulate them into their final shape.

Generally, a bench rest can range from 10 to 45 minutes. The length
depends on how firm and how tightly you've preshaped your dough. The
tighter the preshape, the longer the bench rest before it relaxes sufficiently.

If you find your dough quickly spreads, cut the bench rest short.
Then, either perform a second preshape step or proceed with final
shaping straightaway.

Conversely, if your dough resists shaping, consider giving it more
time to rest and relax.

As with most aspects of baking, preshaping takes practice and careful
attention. If you watch carefully, we can see how each movement
imparts order to pieces that were once shaggy bits. This paves the
way for a more successful shaping and increased baking consistency.

What's the best way to work on your preshape? Find a bulletproof
bread recipe, double the ingredients, and get practicing. There's no
substitute for building up the confidence and intuition that comes
with repeated training.

Review: I'm so glad this topic was listed in an email yesterday!
Since I've always struggled with shaping yeast-dough loaves, this
preshaping procedure-which, incredibly, I've never heard of
before-should help me a lot. If uniform density throughout the dough
is what we're after, then I can see the efficacy of working it with a
bench knife and a hand. The bench knife gives you a clean pick-up for
lifting and rotating, while your hand interprets the feel of the
dough so you can make adjustments. It isn't anything I expect to
"get" the first time around. Or the second.

Right now I'm making Sharon's Whole Grain Dinner Rolls & Bread, so
later today I'll try Maurizio's method first.

Question: As a long-time bread baker, I love reading about and trying
new methods. However, after reading this post several times and
thinking about it, I simply could not understand a really good reason
for this procedure. (To facilitate the final shaping of "unruly
forms"??) As others stated, the directions are not clear and the
photos don't help much. Why not show the "final" shaping so that the
preshaping benefits (if they exist) become clear? In short, the
writer of this post obviously likes adding this step, but has
explained it poorly. I just can't see extending the time, effort and
handling used for baking bread for such vague reasons.

Response: Preshaping is standard practice in most bakeries for a lot
of reasons. If you're dividing a large batch of dough, it's a
frequent occurrence that you'll have bits of dough added to larger
chunks to get all of the loaves a consistent weight. This can make
for a lumpy, uneven texture in the finished loaf if the dough isn't
given a little extra bench rest to reabsorb the pieces and even out.
That's what Maurizio is referring to when he says "unruly forms".
Second, dividing the dough tightens the gluten at the point where
it's been cut. Preshaping with its attendant bench rest makes the
tension in the dough more uniform, and the rest allows the gluten to
relax enough to allow for better results when it comes to shaping the
final loaf. It might help of you check out Maurizio's video on
Instagram, where you can see the process in action. Next time you're
baking enough dough for more than one loaf, try preshaping one and
not the other, then compare the crumb structures after baking. You
might convince yourself!

Review: The Instagram video in place of still pictures is a night and
day difference. Thanks for the link.

Question: These instructions were very difficult to understand. I
would love a video showing the technique.

Resonse: Lindsay, this is a bit different from the technique we teach
here in our baking school and in our online classes, but you should
feel free to reach out to Maurizio with any questions you have about
his pre-shaping technique!

S(Internet address):
   "https://blog.kingarthurflour.com/2019/02/08/preshaping-bread-dough/";

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 0 Calories; 0g Fat (0.0%
calories from fat); 0g Protein; 0g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber;
0mg Cholesterol; 0mg Sodium.  Exchanges: .

NOTES : 2019 - 0224