Italian Easter Cheese Bread Crescia Al Formaggio

Mon, 08 Apr 2019 22:55:38 -0700
v119.n016.9
* Exported from MasterCook *

             Bread, Italian Easter Cheese  Crescia Al Formaggio

Recipe By     :King Arthur Flour Co
Categories    : Bread                           Bread Machine
                 Bread-Bakers Mailing List       Holidays
                 Posted                          Stand Mixer

   300                g  Unbleached All-Purpose Flour -- (2 1/2C or 10 1/2 ozs)
   1 1/4      teaspoons  instant yeast
   3              large  eggs -- at room temperature
   1              large  egg yolk -- white reserved
   57                 g  lukewarm water -- (1/4C or 2 ozs)
   57                 g  softened butter -- (1/4C or 4 Tbsp or 2 ozs)
   1           teaspoon  salt
   1           teaspoon  ground pepper
   170                g  freshly grated Parmesan cheese -- (1 1/4C or 6 ozs)
                         GLAZE
                         reserved egg white -- from above
   2          teaspoons  cold water

This delightful golden egg bread is still mostly unknown in this
country, and that's a pity. Light-textured and loaded with Parmesan
cheese, it perfumes the kitchen with its wonderful savory aroma as it
bakes. A nice change from the usual Easter sweet breads, it goes
wonderfully well with the Easter ham - both at dinner, and later,
when you're making ham sandwiches.

Be aware that this isn't a soft, moist loaf. It's very light, crusty,
and quite dry inside. We suggest serving it in thin slices; toasted
and buttered; or made into grilled sandwiches.

Use black pepper if you don't mide the specks, use white otherwise.
You can use Parmesan, Roman, or Asiago cheeses or any combination.

PREP: 15 mins. to 20 mins.
BAKE: 40 mins. to 45 mins.
TOTAL: 4:55 to 5:35
YIELD: 1 large loaf

Combine all of the dough ingredients except the cheese in the bowl of
an electric mixer, and beat on medium speed for 10 minutes, until the
dough becomes shiny and satiny. It'll be very sticky; stop the mixer
to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl a couple of times during
the mixing process.

Add the cheese, and beat until well combined.

Scrape the dough into a lightly greased bowl, cover the bowl, and set
it aside to rest/rise for 1 hour; it won't do much. Gently deflate
the dough, turn it over, return it to the bowl, and allow it to
rest/rise for an additional hour; again, it may not seem to rise much
- that's OK.

Oil or flour your hands. To make a traditional round loaf, form the
dough into a ball, and place it in a greased pandoro (star) or
panettone pan; a large souffle dish; or another round, deep pan. The
pan should be about 6" to 7" wide, and 3" to 4" deep.

To make a pretty loaf, divide the dough into three pieces; roll each
piece into a 12" log; and braid the logs. Nestle the braid into a
lightly greased 9" x 5" loaf pan.

Cover the loaf lightly, and allow it to rise for 2 hours (or longer,
depending on the warmth of your kitchen); the dough should have
become noticeably puffy, though it won't have doubled in size.

To bake the bread: Put your oven rack in a lower position, just below
the middle, and preheat the oven to 425F.

Whisk the reserved egg white with the water and brush the top of the loaf.

Place the bread in the oven and bake it for 15 minutes.

Reduce the oven temperature to 350F, tent the bread lightly with
aluminum foil, and bake for an additional 30 to 35 minutes, until
it's a deep, golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted
into the center registers 190F. The braided loaf will require less
time than the round loaf.

Remove the bread from the oven, and let it cool in the pan for 5
minutes. Use a knife to loosen the edges, if necessary, and turn the
loaf out onto a rack to cool completely before slicing.

Store airtight, at room temperature, for several days. Freeze,
tightly wrapped, for longer storage.

Tip:
Want to make the dough in a bread machine? Place all of the dough
ingredients into the pan of your machine, program the machine for
manual or dough, and press Start. Check the dough about 10 minutes
before the end of the final kneading cycle, and adjust its
consistency as necessary with additional flour or water; it should be
shiny and elastic. Allow the machine to complete its cycle, then
shape and bake as directed at right.

Review: In my family we had a recipe that we had been using that I
wasn't particularly happy with (it made a pale, dense bread), so I
decided to try something new for a change. This bread came out
magnificent, it surpassed all expectations. The flavor is
extraordinary and it is surprisingly light and airy (if you give it
enough time to rise). Will be making again!

Question & Response: Love this recipe! I've been making it for quite
a while now, and it's always a hit. It makes delicious sandwiches (my
favorite is a grilled cheese with sharp white cheddar, smoked bacon,
and caramelized onions), and the BEST croutons for Caesar salad. May
I duccessfully double the recipe?

As a general rule of thumb, most yeast bread recipes can be easily
doubled, including this recipe. You can simply multiply most
ingredients, using anywhere from 1-2x the amount of yeast called for
in the original recipe. The amount of yeast used can vary depending
on your preference, with more yeast leading to a faster rise but less
flavor development, and less yeast leading to more flavor development
but a longer rise. Choose whatever works for your schedule and flavor
preferences.

Review: This bread is delicious. I used Locatelli cheese and it
tasted just like the bread I ate as a child.

Review: This bread is fabulous! I followed the recipe exactly; no
adjustments even though we live above 5000'. I made a braided loaf.
This bread is so flavorful that we don't bother to butter it. If you
like Asiago, this is the recipe for you!

Review: This recipe's a keeper. What a lovely loaf it makes!
Absolutely worth the extra time involved. I usually make all my dough
in the bread machine but when I re-read the recipe and realized how
quick it would be to use the mixer, I just threw everything as
instructed in the Kitchenaid with the dough hook. It didn't seem
quite "satiny" or elastic enough, so I added a little over a
tablespoon of extra liquid and it came together perfectly. (Humidity
was extremely low that day.) My dough actually doubled with each rise
using the proof setting on my oven. I made the braided loaf in a
stoneware bread pan because I knew my hubby would probably want part
of it for sandwiches. It turned out beautifully. Nice texture and
great flavor. I will definitely make this recipe again.

Review: This bread was awesome for Easter dinner. I was surprised at
how the pepper integrated in the bread, giving it a bit of a zing.
This was great, and my company loved it. I baked it in the round on a
baking stone.

Review: Oh my gosh. My new favorite bread. I love Parmesan cheese to
begin with, but the crust on this bread is just perfectly crunchy and
delicious. Well worth the time it takes to rise. I made the braided
loaf in a metal bread pan. It looked as good as it tasted.

Review: This light and flavorful bread is good any season of the year
- don't miss out by limiting it to Easter! I prepared it as directed
with good quality parmesan cheese, shaped it into a braided loaf and
used a stoneware 9 by 5 loaf pan. I almost skipped the second one
hour rise in the bowl, and am glad I didn't; the dough rose a lot
more during that second rise and then even more in the third rise in
the pan. The finished loaf is a beautiful golden color and has a very
open crumb. It slices beautifully and is fabulous with ham for a
sandwich or just on its own with butter.

Review: If I could give this 10 stars, I would. Just a fabulous
cheese bread eaten with dinner or as a snack, or toasted for a
special breakfast. Definitely not just for Easter!

Review: I followed one reviewer's suggestion to make the dough the
night before, refrigerate overnight, then completed the rising the
next morning. This was a great time saver on a busy Easter morning. I
used half freshly grated parmesan and half asiago cheese. The braided
loaf baked in a 9 x 5 pan produces a bread that is attractive and
easy to slice for the table and for sandwiches. This was the first
time I used my new instant read thermometer for bread baking and it
was great to know it was done when it reached 190 degrees in the
middle. (More reliable than the "tap for hollow sound" test.) Will
definitely make this again!

Review: I made this today and it was super easy. I used my bread
machine to make the dough, then shaped it into a loaf and baked it in
a 9x5 pan. It smells soooo good and it tastes wonderful. Definitely
one to make again and again.

Review: What a wonderful loaf of bread! I made it exactly as
directed. As for the cheese, I used two ounces each of Parmesan,
Asiago, Pecerino Romano. I used flour instead of oil after the first
two hour-long rises, which seems to make it rise a bit more than
using oil. My mother-in-law calls it "Saturday bread," because it
takes a day to get through all the rising times. I've never had an
unsuccessful loaf using KA flour and recipes, but this one is a
special favorite!

S(Internet address):
   "https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/italian-easter-cheese-bread-crescia-al-formaggio-recipe";

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 214 Calories; 10g Fat (42.7%
calories from fat); 10g Protein; 20g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
92mg Cholesterol; 500mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1
Lean Meat; 1 Fat.

NOTES : 2019 - 0408