Chapati

Sat, 06 Apr 2019 21:48:55 -0700
v119.n016.8
* Exported from MasterCook *

                               Bread, Chapati

Recipe By     : Bee
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Ethnic                          Fatfree
                 Posted                          Side Dish

   2               cups  whole wheat flour -- stone ground
   1                cup  water -- approximately
   1           teaspoon  salt

In India, these are made with atta flour, stone ground from hard,
high-gluten wheat. Stone grinding damages the starch more than roller
milling, which makes the dough more sticky.

Chapati is a popular Indian flat bread made with wheat flour. Easy
chapati recipe that everyone can make at home that produces fluffy
chapati.

Set some extra flour aside for coating and dusting in a shallow plate.

Sieve the flour, add salt to it and mix well. Place the flour in a
large bowl and add 3/4 cup of water. Stir lightly with fingers in a
circular motion till the flour start to gather. Add 1-2 tablespoons
of more flour if the dough looks too sticky or add little more water
if it looks too dry and firm.

Knead the flour until you have soft and pliable dough that does not
stick to your fingers. You can put little oil on your hand while
kneading the dough to help with kneading. Cover with plastic wrap and
let the dough rest for minimum 1 hour at room temperature. If keeping
for longer period store the dough in refrigerator and make sure to
bring it back to room temperature before using it.

Once ready to make chapatis, heat the griddle over medium-high heat.
Divide the dough into 10-12 equal-sized balls and start working with
each ball separately. Place the bowl in dry flour and flatten it a
bit with help of finger tips. Transfer the flatten ball to any clean
flat surface and with help of rolling pin, roll it into approx. 6-7"
circle of uniform thickness. While rolling the chapati if the dough
sticks to the rolling surface, dust it and the surface lightly with
little flour.

Place the rolled chapati on the hot griddle and cook for 30 seconds
or until tiny golden dots appear on the bottom, flip over to the
other side. Once the other side is also covered with larger brown
dots, turn it over again. Soon the chapati will start to puff up.
With the help of a folded kitchen towel press gently on the puffed
part, gently pushing the air to the flatten part of chapati until the
whole chapati puffs up into a round ball (don't get disheartened if
your chapati doesn't puff up like a ball, it will still taste as
delicious as the puffed on. It may take a little practice to get
perfectly puffed chapatis). You can puff up the chapati on direct flame too.

Transfer the cooked chapatis to the plate, if you want to baste it
with little butter or ghee and serve hot.

Review: Wow! This is the first time I have made chapati and it came
out perfectly!!I was very nervous as I wasn't sure how the dough was
supposed to feel or how long to knead it, but it all came together. I
let the dough rest more than an hour because I was running around
doing other things. It rolled easily and actually puffed just like
the pictures! Best of all, it tastes delicious. I used Aashirvaad
whole wheat flour with multi-grains from the local Indian market. I
will never but flat bread from a store again.

Question: How do we store chapatis (serving for one person)? Would
you recommend making the dough and storing the dough (hence rolling
it out as needed) or storing the made chapati? I'm a student here and
would like to have chapatis on daily basis.
Response: Storing made chapati is better.

Review: Easy recipe for great chapatis. Love the photos. I always
make them now but I admit I use my stand mixer. Perfect result every time.

Question: Fabulous recipe. Is it possible to freeze these? If so is
it better to freeze cooked or uncooked?
Response: Freeze cooked.

S(Internet address):
   "https://rasamalaysia.com/chapati-recipe/";
Yield:
   "10 to 12"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 81 Calories; trace Fat (4.6%
calories from fat); 3g Protein; 17g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber;
0mg Cholesterol; 215mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Fat.

NOTES : 2019 - 0406