Easter Bunny Rolls

Wed, 10 Apr 2019 20:38:14 -0700
v119.n017.3
* Exported from MasterCook *

                            Rolls, Easter Bunny

Recipe By     : Bonnie Myers
Categories    : Bread-Bakers Mailing List       Holidays
                 Low Fat                         Muffins/Rolls
                 Posted

   2 1/4            tsp  active dry yeast -- (1 pkg (1/4 oz))
      1/4           cup  warm water -- (110 to 115F)
      3/4           cup  warm milk -- (110 to 115F)
   2        tablespoons  sugar
   2        tablespoons  shortening
   1              large  egg -- beaten
   2          teaspoons  celery seed
   1           teaspoon  salt
   1           teaspoon  rubbed sage
      1/2      teaspoon  ground nutmeg
   3               cups  all-purpose flour -- (to 3 1/2C)
                         Melted butter

If you're planning an Easter feast, why not hop to it and roll out a
bevy of bunnies? They'll multiply quicker than you thinkâ?¦and your
hearty eaters will "cotton" to them!

Prep: 30 min. + rising
Bake: 10 min.

In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl,
combine milk, sugar, shortening, egg, celery seed, salt, sage,
nutmeg, yeast mixture and 2 cups flour; beat on medium speed until
smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn
dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic; about 6
to 8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the
top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until
doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down; let rest 10 minutes.

Divide dough into 24 pieces. For each bunny, roll one piece of dough
into a 20" rope. Cut rope into one 10" piece, one 5" piece, two 2"
pieces and one 1" piece. Coil 10" piece for body; place on a greased
baking sheet. Coil 5" piece for head; place next to body. Form ears
from the 2" pieces and tail from the 1" piece; add to bunny. Pinch
and seal pieces together. Repeat, placing bunnies 2" apart on the
baking sheet. Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise until doubled,
about 25 minutes.

Preheat oven to 375F. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned.
Brush with melted butter. Serve warm.

Cal 80, Fat 2g, Carb 14g, Sod 105mg, Fiber 1g, Pro 2g

Review: I thought these were pretty good and easy to make. Next time
I'll decrease the celery seed- I thought it was a little strong. I do
think these would be good with other savory spices or even cinnamon
with a glaze. I think next time I'll press down on the front of the
bunny's head and tummy so they do not rise so much- some of them were
hard to discern shape wise. All in all a fun tasty recipe that the
kids enjoyed.

Review: My 20 year old daughter and I made this Easter Sunday. We had
a blast. My husband said they were not only cute but tasted awsome.
She posted the picture of them on facebook and everbody wanted to
know how to make them.

Review: Made these without herbs for a picky crowd - turned out light
and fluffy and yummy! Next time, I'll form half at a time, and leave
the other half in the fridge until I'm ready for it - it rose again
while it was waiting for me to finish the first half (and I was going
pretty fast), so the second tray I had to deflate and it was slow to
rise a third time after I made the bunnies. One tip, the thinner the
ropes the more defined the coils - and pinch the tails on really well
or they fall off. Everybody thought these were so darn cute!

Source:
   "Originally published as Easter Bunny Rolls in Country Woman
March/April 1999"
S(Internet address):
   "https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/easter-bunny-rolls/";

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 80 Calories; 2g Fat (20.0%
calories from fat); 2g Protein; 14g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
10mg Cholesterol; 96mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 0410