Copycat Steakhouse Honey Wheat Bread

Sat, 04 May 2019 18:44:57 -0700
v119.n018.9
* Exported from MasterCook *

                   Bread, Copycat Steakhouse Honey Wheat

Recipe By     :Lana Stuart
Serving Size  : 6     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Chocolate/Cocoa                 Posted

   1 1/4           cups  warm water -- (105-110F)
   2               tsp.  sugar
   2 1/4           tsp.  active dry yeast
   2               cups  bread flour
   1 3/4           cups  whole wheat flour
   1             tblsp.  cocoa
   2               tsp.  instant coffee granules
   1               tsp.  salt
   2             tblsp.  butter -- softened
      1/4           cup  honey
   2             tblsp.  molasses
                         Yellow cornmeal -- for dusting

This bread is so dark and moist and chewy and has just the faintest
hint of sweet. Spread it with some whipped butter and my, oh my, I
could make my whole meal from that bread and a salad.

prep: 10 MINUTES
cook: 35 MINUTES
inactive: 2:45
total: 3:30
yield: 6 MINI LOAVES

Proof the yeast: measure the warm water into a two-cup or larger
measure. Add the sugar and yeast. Stir to dissolve. Within 5 minutes
the yeast should have begun to bubble and grow.

While the yeast proofs, mix the flours, cocoa, coffee, and salt in a
large bowl. Stir together with a whisk.

Using your fingers, mix the softened butter into the flour mixture.

Make a well in the center of the dry mixture and add the honey,
molasses, and yeast-water mixture. Stir from the middle, bringing the
dry ingredients gradually into the wet. You can start out with a
wooden spoon but will need to use your hands to finally bring the
dough together.

Turn the rough dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead for 10
minutes adding small amounts of flour to the kneading surface only if needed.

Let the dough rest for a few minutes while you wash and dry the bowl
that you used to mix it in. Spray the inside of the bowl with cooking
spray. Put the dough into the bowl top side down and then turn it
over so that the top is coated with a bit of the cooking spray.

Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set it in a warm place to rise.
The interior of an oven with the light on is usually warm enough. Let
the dough rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until doubled in size.

When the dough has doubled, cut it into 6 portions. Form each portion
into either a 6-inch log shape or a round mini-boule.

Pour a small amount of cornmeal onto your work surface. Moisten each
dough portion very lightly by wetting your hands, removing most of
the water and rubbing over the dough. Roll the lightly moistened
loaves in cornmeal to coat. Gently pat to remove any excess cornmeal.

Place the loaves on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Cover with plastic
wrap and set aside to rise for another hour or until doubled in size.

Preheat the oven to 350F. Uncover the dough and bake for 35 to 40
minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 to 15 minutes.

Serve with plenty of butter.

NOTES: if you want your bread to be a darker color like the bread
served at the steakhouse, you can optionally add food coloring to
achieve that result. You'd need to add 1 1/4 teaspoons of red, 1
teaspoon of yellow, and 1 teaspoon of blue. I'm perfectly happy with
the color of the bread without the added coloring.

Question: Can I knead this with my Kitchenaide mixer? Also could I
use rapid raise yeast instead of the active yeast. (rapid raise is
what I happen to have on hand).
Response: Yes, you can knead it in the mixer and you can use rapid rise yeast.

Question: Thanks for the fast response Lana. Do you have a suggestion
for how long I should knead the bread using my mixer? I am making
this right now and kneaded for 5 minutes; I figured doing it by
machine would not need the entire 10 minutes as in the instructions.
Response: That's probably about right, Becky. I think the general
guideline for machine kneading is about 5 minutes once the dough
begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl.

Review: I just want to say that I made this recipe last night, and it
came out fantastic. I chose to make 12 rolls, baked about 20 minutes.
Did not have corn meal so I used a combination of semolina/flour.
These are definitely a keeper.

Review:  have made it in my bread machine. The color came out like
Outback's (I did the food coloring suggestion). I didn't have Instant
Coffee, so I made a strong but not too strong cup of coffee and added
it to the recipe. After it finished baking in my machine, although
good flavoring, it was a little tougher towards the edges of the
bread. The inner part of the bread was great. Now I'm the one with a
question: how can I make it softer around towards the edges???

Review: I made this to go with a pot of veggie/beef soup and it was
so delicious! The molasses, coffee, and cocoa give it such a
wonderful flavor. It was best right out of the oven, but it also made
for some pretty tasty toast the next morning!

Review: I'm so glad I found this. I made some Cabbage and Chicken
Sausage Stew for dinner tonight and it was dying for a good bread to
go with it. I didn't have some of the ingredients the recipe called
for i.e. instant coffee or bread flour. But I did have pasta flour,
wheat flour, and white flourâ?¦lol. Had just enough of all 3 to have
the flour needed to make the bread. Don't ask me why all those mixed
together worked but they did. This was some of the lightest and
flavorful bread I've ever made. I can't wait to make it again and
follow the recipe exactlyâ?¦or maybe I'll just keep the flour combo -
it was really that good!!!

S(Internet address):
   "https://www.lanascooking.com/steakhouse-honey-wheat-bread/";

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 932 Calories; 34g Fat (31.2%
calories from fat); 14g Protein; 155g Carbohydrate; 10g Dietary
Fiber; 83mg Cholesterol; 717mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 4 1/2
Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 6 1/2 Fat; 6 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 0504