Potato-Onion Rye Rolls

Mon, 06 May 2019 18:21:45 -0700
v119.n019.3
* Exported from MasterCook *

                          Rolls, Potato-Onion Rye

Recipe By     :King Arthur Flour Co.
Categories    : Bread Machine                   Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Hand Made                       Low Fat
                 Muffins/Rolls                   Posted
                 Stand Mixer

   298                g  Unbleached All-Purpose Flour -- (2 1/2C or 10 1/2 oz)
   159                g  pumpernickel flour -- (1 1/2C or 5 5/8 oz)
   34                 g  potato flour -- or dried potato flakes, (3T
flakes/1/2C dried or 1 1/8 oz)
   7                  g  vital wheat gluten -- or Whole-Grain Bread
Improver, (1T or 1/4 oz)
   25                 g  vegetable oil -- (2T or 7/8 oz)
   43                 g  molasses -- (2T or 1 1/2 oz)
   1 1/2      teaspoons  salt
   2          teaspoons  Deli Rye Flavor -- optional but delicious
   1 1/2      teaspoons  instant yeast
   1         tablespoon  Black Cocoa -- optional, an excellent color enhancer
   283                g  lukewarm water -- (to 340g/to 1 1/2C or 10 to 12 oz)
   35                 g  dried minced onions -- or canned
French-fried onions, (60g dried/1/3C minced or 3/4C or 1 1/4 oz/2 1/8 oz)
   2        tablespoons  butter -- melted, for brushing on the rolls

These soft, savory rolls are equally delicious for dinner or sandwiches.

PREP: 25 mins.
BAKE: 15 mins. to 20 mins.
TOTAL: 2:40 to 3:45

Mix and knead all of the ingredients (except the onions), by hand,
mixer, or bread machine, until you've made a slightly sticky, shiny dough.

Knead in the onions, place the dough into a greased bowl, cover, and
let rise in a warm spot for 1 to 2 hours, until it's grown by at
least one-third.

Transfer the dough to a lightly greased or floured work surface and
divide into 12 pieces.

Roll each piece into a ball and place in a greased 9" x 13" or 12" x 12" pan.

Cover the rolls and let rise 1 hour, until puffy looking. Preheat the
oven to 425F while they are rising.

Reduce the oven heat to 350F, place the rolls in the oven, and bake
for 15 to 20 minutes, until golden brown.

Remove the rolls from the oven, brush with melted butter, and serve warm.

Store the cooled rolls in an airtight container for 5 days or
well-wrapped in the freezer for up to a month.

TIPS: To bake these rolls in a crown bread pan, prepare the dough as
instructed, dividing it into eight equal pieces rather than 12. Roll
each piece into a ball and place into the lightly greased wells of
the base of the pan. Cover the rolls with lightly greased plastic
wrap and allow them to rise for about 1 hour. Remove the plastic wrap
and bake the rolls (with the lid on) in a preheated 425F oven for 20
minutes. Remove the lid and bake for another 5 to 10 minutes, until
the rolls are beginning to brown and a digital thermometer inserted
into the center of one roll reads 200F. Remove the pan from the oven,
allow the rolls to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn them out
of the pan and brush them with melted butter.

Review: I subbed whole wheat for the all purpose (bumped up the
gluten to compensate) and baked it in a loaf pan so we can slice it
for sandwiches. I didn't have the flavor enhancer and my cocoa powder
was regular dutched so it's a bit pale. It's SO good, I can actually
forgive it for killing my mixer. (the mixer was pushing 40, I really
can't complain)

Question: I made this this morning. I used my baking stone instead
since I don't have the crown bread pan. I baked for 18 minutes and
left them in the turned-off oven for about 5 minutes or so. I am not
sure if I did it right. The rolls have rich flavor but are quite
dense. Any tips? What do you do if you don't have the Emile Henry
Crown Bread Pan.
Response: The crown bread pan is a nice bonus, but we typically bake
these in an ordinary 9x13 inch baking pan as directed. As far as
density goes, these are fairly dense, traditional rolls, but you may
find that being located in New Mexico means you need to add an extra
tablespoon or two of water to your recipes to avoid too-dense rolls,
as ingredients tend to dry out in low-humidity environments.

Review: These are nice tasty sandwich rolls. I made the recipe that I
tore out of the KA catalog, which is slightly different. It does not
call for vital wheat gluten, and calls for Rye Bread Improver (which
is what I used) rather than Deli Rye Flavor. Not having any black
cocoa, I used Double Dutch Dark cocoa, which gave the dough a grey
hue that I didn't like. I added a half teaspoon of espresso powder
and they turned out a nice brown, almost as dark as in the picture. I
subbed 34g of potato flakes for the potato flour, and used dried
minced onions. I made 12 rolls rather than 8 as the older recipe
directs since I wanted small sandwiches for a Super Bowl party. I
flattened the dough balls to a half inch or so on the cookie sheet
before the second rise, so they were a better shape for sandwiches
rather than round like a dinner roll. The ham sammies were great!

Review: great recipe--nice texture rolls for lots of purposes but
they never will turn golden brown---especially with dark rye flour
and black cocoa! Make them monthly

Review: Nice, fairly quick rye rolls. For dinner rolls, I would make
more, smaller rolls next time.

Review: What a fantastic recipe for my first foray into the world of
rye! I used gluten & omitted the deli rye flavor because I didn't
have any on hand. Because of this, they didn't have the "traditional
rye flavor" I was expecting. No matter, the flavor was fabulous!
These were a big hit with our kids (2,3,4, & 5 yrs old), which kind
of surprised me. They were perfect for Christmas dinner & made lovely
leftover ham sandwiches. I used dried minced onion from the grocery
store, somewhere between 1/8 & 1/4 cup. They were pretty onion-y,
which is great. Also, instead of baking them in a pan, I shaped them
into tight balls & baked them "separated" on a cookie sheet. I didn't
flatten them out or anything & I loved the "puffy" shape they took
on. Reminded me of bread you would find in the bread basket at a
high-end steakhouse. I think I'm going to make a hybrid of this & the
"cocoa" pumpernickel recipe next using the rye bread improver that
just arrived. Thanks for yet another great recipe, KAF, & for all of
the wonderful inspiration!

Review: These turned out perfectly. The dough was so easy to work
with and I love the soft squishy texture. Absolutely beautiful!

Review: This recipe is very forgiving! I made three mistakes. Number
one; I forgot to knead in the onions. I took the dough out of the
oiled bowl (I was at the first rise), kneaded them in, then decided
the dough was too dry.Back in the mixer it went. Added a tablespoon
more water, kneaded all over! At this point I'm thinking, if this
works it will be nothing short of a miracle! On to forming, rising
and baking. I forgot to turn oven down until they had baked for ten
minutes. I just turned them out. Beautiful! Taste fabulous! I guess
miracles do happen!

Review: Ooops. I submitted my review, but I just saw that I was
supposed to reduce the heat to 350 when I baked them. I didn't do
that. I baked them about 15 - 18 minutes at 425. Turned out fine in
spite of me! Also, I didn't add the onions during the knead cycle on
the machine; I just kneaded them in after the 1st rise. That seemed
to work fine, so thought I should mention it in case you are away
from the machine during the knead cycle and can't add them then.

Review: Made these for a pot luck meal, and they were very good. I
doubled the recipe because it was a large crowd, and I used the dough
setting on my bread machine. I used 3 cups KA unbleached all purpose,
2 cups KA unbleached bread flour, 3 cups rye (had no pumpernickel),
potato flakes, vital wheat gluten, and the canned French-fried
onions. Since I doubled it, I ended up short on the onions, so I
added a table spoon or so of (dried) granulated onion. I did not use
caramel color or rye flavor because I didn't have any. The rolls were
tasty and especially wonderful right out of the oven with Smart
Balance on them. :) These would be great for turkey or other
sandwiches. They're a little chewy-ish; really like the texture. I
think they'd be great sprinkled with water and reheated for an extra
crisp crust.

S(Internet address):
   "https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/potato-onion-rye-rolls-recipe";

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 198 Calories; 5g Fat (20.9%
calories from fat); 5g Protein; 35g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber;
5mg Cholesterol; 291mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 0422