Classic Italian Bread

Sat, 18 May 2019 22:27:45 -0700
v119.n020.9
* Exported from MasterCook *

                           Bread, Classic Italian

Recipe By     :GIRL VERSUS DOUGH
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Italian                         Low Fat
                 Posted                          Stand Mixer

   2 1/4      teaspoons  active dry yeast -- (1 packet)
   1           teaspoon  granulated sugar
   1                cup  warm water -- (about 110F)
   2 1/2           cups  bread flour -- or all-purpose flour
   2        tablespoons  olive oil
   1           teaspoon  salt

This classic Italian bread recipe is soft and tender on the inside,
with a chewy crust on the outside. Homemade bread doesn't get much
better - or simpler - than this!

PREP: 1:15
  COOK: 20 MINS
TOTAL: 1:35
YIELD: 1 LARGE LOAF

In a large bowl or bowl of a stand mixer, combine yeast, sugar and
warm water. Let stand 5 minutes until yeast is foamy.

Add 2 cups flour, olive oil and salt. Stir with a wooden spoon or
with a dough hook on low speed until a shaggy dough forms. Turn dough
out onto a lightly floured surface and knead by hand 10 minutes,
adding just enough of the remaining flour until a soft, smooth and
elastic dough forms; OR, increase dough hook speed to medium and
knead dough in stand mixer 5 minutes, adding just enough of the
remaining flour until a soft, smooth and elastic dough forms.

Shape dough into a ball; place in an oiled bowl and turn to coat.
Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let dough rise 1 hour until doubled.

Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat
or lightly grease the surface with oil or cooking spray. On a lightly
floured surface, punch down dough, then carefully shape into a
batard/torpedo about 12 inches long. Transfer to prepared baking
sheet. Cover with a tea towel and let rise another 20 minutes until puffy.

Use a serrated knife to make a few 1/4-inch deep slits in the surface
of the loaf. Bake loaf 20 minutes until golden brown. Cool completely
on a cooling rack before slicing.

Cal 89, Fat 2g, Carb 15g, Sod 147mg, Fiber 0.7g, Pro 2g

Review: simple!! it turned out so good,that it was gone in one
sitting!!! it's definately my permanent bread recipe!! thank you for
sharing!!!:)

Review: I actually just made this last night for the purpose of
turning it into garlic bread! The bread turned out perfectly, and I'm
so excited to share it with my family tonight!

Review: This bread was easy to make and tastes great!! Will make this
one again!

Review: I can actually SEE the fluffiness of that bread in your
photos. GORGEOUS.

Review: I can actually SEE the fluffiness of that bread in your
photos. GORGEOUS.

S(Internet address):
   "https://www.girlversusdough.com/classic-italian-bread/";
Yield:
   "1 lg loaf"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 95 Calories; 2g Fat (19.9%
calories from fat); 3g Protein; 16g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary
Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 134mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 0501