Fried Chicken Biscuits With Hot Honey Butter

Sun, 02 Jun 2019 20:30:27 -0700
v119.n022.5
* Exported from MasterCook *

           Biscuits, Fried Chicken Biscuits With Hot Honey Butter

Recipe By     :Tejal Rao
Serving Size  : 6     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Biscuits/Scones                 Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Posted                          Snacks

                         FOR THE BISCUITS:
   450            grams  all-purpose flour -- (3C)
   37             grams  baking powder -- (3T)
   1         tablespoon  sugar
   1 1/2      teaspoons  kosher salt
   100            grams  cold unsalted butter -- cubed, (7T)
   360      milliliters  whole milk -- (1 1/2C)
                         FOR THE CHICKEN:
   6                     boneless skinless chicken thighs
   113            grams  all-purpose flour -- (3/4C)
   2          teaspoons  cayenne
   2          teaspoons  kosher salt -- plus more for seasoning
   3                     eggs
   270            grams  panko -- (3C)
                         Canola oil -- or other neutral oil, for frying
                         FOR THE BUTTER:
   142            grams  unsalted butter -- softened, (10T)
   3        tablespoons  honey
                         Hot sauce -- a vinegary variety such as
Crystal, to taste
                         Sliced dill pickles -- for serving

This recipe for chicken biscuits could be a weeknight dinner with a
side of greens, but it's made to travel, and perfectly suited for a
picnic. The biscuit dough, adapted from Sam Sifton's all-purpose
biscuit recipe, is lightly kneaded here, so it's not too tender to
work in a sandwich. The chicken tenders, inspired by Masaharu
Morimoto's katsu in the cookbook "Mastering the Art of Japanese Home
Cooking," are pounded and coated in panko for plenty of crunch.
Prepare both components the day you want to eat them, giving yourself
at least one extra hour for everything to cool before you assemble,
so the sandwich stays crisp. You can also cook well in advance, and
assemble the sandwiches the next day. Either way, cooling the chicken
completely, on a wire rack, is crucial. If you prefer breast meat
over thigh, feel free to swap it in.

TIME: 1 1/2 hours, plus cooling

Prepare the biscuits: In a bowl, use a fork to mix the flour, baking
powder, sugar and salt. Add butter and use the fork to mash it into
the flour until the mixture resembles large, lumpy crumbs. Stir in
milk until a dough comes together.

Flour your hands, then gently gather and knead the dough in the bowl
for 2 to 3 minutes, or until it springs back slightly to the touch.
(If the dough is sticky, sprinkle additional flour as needed.) Cover
bowl loosely with plastic wrap and rest dough in fridge for half hour.

Heat oven to 425F. On a lightly floured surface, use a floured
rolling pin to roll the dough to 1 to 1 1/2" thickness. Use a floured
knife or round cutter to cut 6 biscuits, about 3 1/2" wide. Reroll
the scraps and cut again as needed.

Place biscuits on a baking sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or
until they have puffed up and the tops are slightly golden. Let cool
completely on a wired rack at room temperature. Transfer to an
airtight container if not using until the next day.

Prepare the chicken: Trim excess fat and any membranes from the meat,
then lightly hammer the thickest parts of the thighs with a mallet or
rolling pin. Season each side with salt.

Mix flour, cayenne and salt in one wide bowl. Beat eggs in a second
wide bowl, and place panko in a third. Dip each chicken thigh in
flour, coating it all over and patting off the excess, then in egg,
allowing extra egg to drip off, then in panko, making sure each thigh
is entirely coated in bread crumbs, and using your hands to press
loose crumbs into any places where they look scarce.

In a large, heavy bottomed skillet, pour in oil to a 2" depth and
heat to 350F. Fry 2 thighs at a time, flipping them over every two
minutes or so, until golden brown and crisp all over, about 8 minutes
total. Transfer to a wire rack set over a paper towel-lined sheet pan
and season lightly with salt. Let cool entirely at room temperature,
at least 1 hour. At this point, you can assemble the sandwiches or
transfer the rack to the fridge and leave the chicken uncovered overnight.

Assemble the sandwiches: When both the chicken and biscuits have
cooled (or the next day), mix together soft butter, honey and hot
sauce until smooth. Cut open cooled biscuits, smear each cut side
with honey butter, and sandwich with a piece of chicken. If
traveling, loosely wrap each sandwich in a piece of parchment paper
and pack side by side in a hard container, in a single layer, so the
sandwiches aren't crushed. Serve with additional hot sauce and
pickles on the side.

Review: Reduced the baking powder by 1/3 and cooked the chicken while
the biscuit dough rested in the fridge. Don't be afraid of the amt of
cayenne in the flour, go for it (and maybe even a little more)! Used
Frank's in the butter honey. Delicious and so forgiving since you can
serve at room temp. Definitely a keeper!

Review: I think two teaspoons of baking powder and two teaspoons of
sugar. I would also use buttermilk rather than whole milk. Buttermilk
does something for biscuits that whole milk just can't do. By
buttermilk, I don't mean adding vinegar or lemon to whole milk and
waiting for it to curdle. I mean store bought buttermilk or if you're
real lucky making your own from raw milk.

Review: I used 3 boneless breasts (about 5 pounds - we raise meat
birds and they are BIG). Amounts worked out perfectly. Thanks to
those whose notes pushed me to self-rising. I've never used it, but
the biscuits were fine. I'd never used Panko crumbs before. They will
be my new go-to. Thanks for the introduction, NYT! LOVE the honey
butter - kept adding more & more hot sauce.

QUESTION for all: 37 grams BP (~ 3 T) seems a lot. How did it work
for any of y'all that tried it??

Review: I made this recipe with one small adjustment. I substituted
chicken breast in place of the thigh meat. Because I pounded the meat
to an even thickness, it stayed very moist and tender. I rarely fry
anything, but both my husband and I really enjoyed how crisp and
juicy these sandwiches were! I will definitely make this recipe again.

Review: My mother made delicious fried chicken by frying it a little
bit in oil then putting it on a rack over a cookie sheet in the oven
and finishing cooking it that way. Less greasy, cooked and moist all
the way through.

Review: Lightly knead biscuit dough just until it comes together.
Springing back is for yeast dough!

Review: I brined my chicken in buttermilk first....and also reduced
the baking powder. I used a combo of panko and fresh bread crumbs for
my breading as I had left over bread ends. I subbed about a 1/4 or
1/3 of the butter for Crisco for a flakier texture....but like the
full better method too.

Review: Cut the baking powder by almost a third (thank you, guys!)
and biscuits were great. Forgot to salt chicken before dredging etc
and definitely wish I had. Used up all the honey butter and might
even drizzle chicken with sriracha too next time for added oomph.
And/or brine it first. That said, chicken was perfectly crisp and
even though I think it needed more punch overall, this was a hit at
our 4th of July.

Review: Fantastic addition to our picnic yesterday. A few notes: if
you're as frugal as I am, start your chicken-breading line with just
1/2 cup of flour and 2 eggs--you can add more if you need it, but
you'll be sad if you have to pour a bunch of stuff out. Similarly,
made the honey butter with just a stick of butter and slightly less
honey and it was more than enough. And I'm with the others on cutting
down the baking powder in the biscuits. But besides that, WOW, super
delicious!!

Review: I have always used a 3 cup flour to 1 tablespoon powder
ratio, sometimes a 3:1 1/2 ratio based on use. Ditto for recipes I've
seen at Saveur and Fine Cooking. Even your recipe, A Master Recipe
for Biscuits and Scones, NY Times, uses a 3:1 ratio.

Review Too much baking powder in those biscuits. Usually 1 to 1 1/2
teaspoons per cup of flour so that means you would need 3 to 4 1/2
teaspoons, not 3 tablespoons (that's 9 teaspoons!!!) for this recipe.
Even better, skip adding salt and baking powder and do the smart
southern thing and use self-rising flour. Works like a charm. Use the
sugar if you want, but that's unnecessary.

Review: One caveat: many of the self-rising flours are made with
bleached flour, and the bleaching process removes most of the flavor
and nutrients. If you want a self-rising flour, look for one made
with unbleached flour. White Lily has begun offering one, as have
other companies.

S(Internet address):
   https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1018818-fried-chicken-biscuits-with-hot-honey-butter

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 929 Calories; 40g Fat (38.6%
calories from fat); 22g Protein; 121g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber;
204mg Cholesterol; 1960mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 7 Grain(Starch); 1/2
Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 7 1/2 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 0223