Paul Hollywood's Baguettes

Sun, 02 Jun 2019 20:58:55 -0700
v119.n022.7
* Exported from MasterCook *

                     Bread, Paul Hollywood's Baguettes

Recipe By     :Paul Hollywood
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Low Fat                         Posted

                         olive oil -- for greasing
   500                g  white bread flour -- plus extra for
dusting  (1 lb 2 oz)
   10                 g  salt -- (1/4 oz)
   10                 g  instant yeast -- (1/4 oz)
   370               ml  cool water -- (13 fl oz)

This baguette recipe by Paul Hollywood is the technical challenge
recipe in the Bread episode of Season 3 of The Great British Baking
Show. It is explained in further detail by Paul in Masterclass: Part 2.

Prep: 2 Hours
Cook: 10-30 Minutes
Yield: 4 baguettes

Lightly oil a 2 1/4 liter (4 pints) square plastic container with
olive oil. (It's important to use a square tub as it helps shape the dough.)

Put the flour, salt and yeast into the bowl of a freestanding mixer
fitted with a dough hook (don't put the salt directly on top of the
yeast). Add three-quarters of the water and begin mixing on a slow
speed. As the dough starts to come together, slowly add the remaining
water, then continue to mix on a medium speed for 5 to 7 minutes,
until you have a glossy, elastic dough.

Tip the dough into the prepared tub. Cover and leave for 1 hour, or
until at least doubled in size.

Dredge a linen couche with flour and lightly dust the work surface with flour.

Carefully tip the dough onto the work surface. Rather than knocking
it back, handle it gently so you can keep as much air in the dough as
possible. (This helps to create the irregular, airy texture of a
really good baguette.) The dough will be wet to the touch but still lively.

Divide the dough into 4 pieces. Shape each piece into an oblong by
flattening the dough out slightly and folding the sides into the
middle. Then roll each up into a sausage - the top should be smooth
with the join running along the length of the base. Now, beginning in
the middle, roll each sausage with your hands. Don't force it out by
pressing heavily. Concentrate on the backwards and forwards movement
and gently use the weight of your arms to roll out the dough to 30cm
(12 ") long.

Lay a baguette along the edge of the linen couche and pleat the
couche up against the edge of the baguette. Place another baguette
next to the pleat. Repeat the process until all 4 baguettes are lined
up against each other with a pleat between each. Cover the baguettes
with a clean tea towel and leave for 1 hour, or until the dough has
at least doubled in size and springs back quickly if you prod it
lightly with your finger.

Preheat the oven to 464F and put a roasting tray in the bottom of the
oven to heat up.

When the baguettes are risen, remove them from the couche and dust
lightly with flour. Slash each one 4 times along its length on the
diagonal, using a razor blade or a very sharp knife. Transfer to a
large baking tray.

Fill the heated roasting tray with hot water, to create steam, and
put the bread into the oven. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the
baguettes are golden-brown and have a slight sheen. Cool on a wire rack.

Tips/Techniques: For this recipe you will need a freestanding mixer
with a dough hook attachment, a 2 1/4 litre/4 pint square plastic
container and a linen couche.

Note: This recipe contains U.K. measurements and may require
conversions to U.S. measurements. It has also not been professionally tested.

Question: I am mixing the Baguette dough now and with the US
MEASUREMENTS my dough is not loose and silky. I used 4 c. flour and
370 ml water. Should I have added more water?

Review: I've made this a number of times, using a scale set to grams,
and a metric liquid measure, and King Arthur Bread Flour (12.8%
protein content - UK strong flour runs around 12%, so they're
essentially equivalent). My dough is somewhat wet but isn't loose. I
give it 30 seconds or so of hand-kneading when it comes off the dough
hook, and that gives it a silky feel. You might want to invest in a
kitchen scale; I've found it really helps in bread-making.

Review: If you use the couche, roll the loaves off the couche onto
the baking pan. My dough was much too soft to pick up, so I mangled
two and had two nice ones. But they all tasted great! As Paul says, a
slow prove gives bread flavor.

Source:
   "courtesy of The Great British Baking Show"
S(Internet address):
   http://www.pbs.org/food/recipes/paul-hollywoods-baguettes/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 115 Calories; 1g Fat (4.4%
calories from fat); 4g Protein; 23g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
0mg Cholesterol; 244mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 0 Fat.

NOTES : 2019 - 0602