Copycat KFC Biscuit

Thu, 06 Jun 2019 21:36:58 -0700
v119.n023.3
* Exported from MasterCook *

                            Biscuit, Copycat KFC

Recipe By     :Sandra
Categories    : Biscuits/Scones                 Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Hand Made                       Posted
                 Side Dish

   2               cups  all-purpose flour
   1         tablespoon  baking powder
   2          teaspoons  sugar
      1/2      teaspoon  cream of tartar
      1/2      teaspoon  salt
      1/2           cup  chilled butter -- salted
      2/3           cup  milk

Ready minutes these COPYCAT KFC BISCUITS are light and flaky with
layers of buttery dough, you will love these with jam, gravy or more butter.

Prep: 8 mins
Cook: 12 mins
Total: 20 min

Preheat the oven to 415F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a medium mixing bowl sift together flour, baking powder, sugar,
cream of tartar and salt.

Using a pastry blender, your hands, or a knife and fork, cut in the
butter until the flour resembles coarse crumbs.

Add the milk and stir with a fork until the mixture comes together.
On a lightly floured surface pull out the dough and knead until it is smooth.

Roll out dough until it is 1/2" thick. Cut out dough using a 3"
biscuit butter, or you can cut into squares. With remaining dough,
reform and roll out to 1/2" and repeat until all the dough is used
and made into biscuits.

Arrange biscuit dough on prepared baking sheet, and bake for 10 to 12
minutes, or until risen and a golden brown.

Serve immediately, or set on counter or serving dish until ready to serve.

Cal 186, Fat 9g, Carb 21g, Sod 205g, Pro 3g

Review: my Husband made these KFC biscuits last night. it turn out
great! it tastes delicious!!! will make it again! thanks for sharing.

Review: Made these tonight and they were awesome!

Review: I made these this am. They were delicious! However, they
didn't rise very well. I think I may have over kneaded? This was my
first time, so I didn't expect perfection. Very good, easy recipe and
will make these again.

Review: I was very excited to try this as I love KFC biscuits. Mine
did not come out light and fluffy at all and took much longer to
start to brown. Is 415F the correct temperature? I've never had a
recipe that used that temperature before

Review: Just made these, good rise, and crisp. The baking powder
taste sticks to your tongue. Needs a touch more sugar and a top brush
of egg or milk to brown. Does not taste like KFC though.

Review: I made these following the recipe exactly except for cream of
tartar. I substitute 1 tsp lemon juice into the milk and let sit no
longer than 2 mintes (it makes buttermilk but curdles quickly). I
learned that trick from my grandmother since I never had buttermilk
on hand. The other difference between these and the southern biscuits
my grandma made is she used crisco instead of butter, no sugar, and a
higher oven temp (using top rack). I like how the KFC copycats turned
out with butter and sugar, however I ended up scorching the bottoms
before the tops started browning with my oven rack at the very top. I
will try 425F next time but keep the KFC copycat ingredients. I would
rate this recipe 4.5 stars as my only criticism is the oven temp,
which is a small issue and variable by altitude. Also pregrating and
freezing the butter is a good tip because cold butter is very
difficult to cut even with a pastry cutter. Another option would be
to use warmer butter, but refrigerate the sheet of biscuit dough
before cooking, like KFC does. Of course cooking time would need to
be adjusted for the cold dough. Thank you for this recipe.

Question: One quick question - what would be your addition to this
recipe if you lived at high altitude???? Say, for instance, at 9500
ft. like I do.
Response: We live at exactly 5000 ft, and don't generally need to
adjust for altitude so I am not totally sure. I have found King
Arthur flour's "High-Altitude Baking" article helpful when a recipe
hasn't turned out quite right though.

S(Internet address):
   https://www.dashofsanity.com/copycat-kfc-biscuits-collection-best-breads-scones-biscuits-recipes/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 187 Calories; 10g Fat (48.0%
calories from fat); 3g Protein; 21g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
27mg Cholesterol; 355mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 0420