Granola Bread with a steel cut oats granola made for bread

Ken Vaughan <kvaughan@acsalaska.net>
Sun, 19 May 2019 19:11:20 -0400
v119.n023.7
About 10 years or so ago I had the idea of making a granola base
focused on use in bread. I had been using "breakfast granola" to make
bread and thought that starting with a different approach might make
a better bread product. After several iterations I focused on steel
cut oats and have made numerous batches of granola for bread.

I am pretty sure that the use of the water in the granola process
along with the boiling water soak avoids hard nubbins of oat and
yields a nice chew texture. Adding the dried fruit before roasting
and toasting results in the caramelizing of the sugars and works well
in the bread. I have eaten the resulting granola with a spoon, and it
is OK, but it's not breakfast granola.

My local stores (Alaska) seldom have cracked wheat, and I have had to
use either rolled spelt, or Bobs Red Mill hot cereals as a substitute
when I do not have the lead time to order from KAF.

Freezes well and makes great toast.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Steel Cut Oat Granola Seed Bread

Recipe By     :
Serving Size  : 0     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    :

  *** Roasted Steel Cut Oat Granola Mix for Bread ***
   4               cups  steel cut oats
   2               cups  cracked grain mix
   1                cup  mixed broken seeds or nuts
   1                cup  dried cranberries or raisins
      1/2           cup  neutral flavored oil of choice
      1/2           cup  honey
      1/2           cup  maple syrup or agave nectar
   1         tablespoon  vanilla extract
      1/2           cup  Hot Water
      1/2    tablespoon  kosher salt

  *** Bread for 2+ Pound Loaf Mixed in Bread Machine or Stand Mixer ***
      1/2           Cup  Steel Cut Oats Granola Mix for Bread
   1                cup  boiling water
   1                cup  sourdough starter
   3               cups  All Purpose Flour
   2 1/4       teaspoon  Instant Yeast -- 1 pkg or 1 "yeast spoon"
   1           teaspoon  kosher salt
   1         tablespoon  sugar -- up to 1/4 cup for a sweeter bread
      1/2           cup  raw sunflower seeds
      1/2           cup  raw pepitas -- (pumpkin seeds)

Ingredient notes (granola mix):
Steel cut oats: Bob's Red Mill or similar Scottish oats
Cracked grain mix: such as wheat, rye, etc. or King Arthur cracked grain mix
Mixed broken seeds or nuts: pepitas, sunflower seeds, poppy seeds,
sliced almonds
Dried cranberries or raisins: I like the carmalized flavors and
tendency of the dried fruit to break up in the bread. If you do not
like that add the dried fruit after roasting, mix it into the warm granola.

Ingredient notes (bread):
Granola mix: 1/2C to 1C to taste
Sourdough starter: either fresh or spent are ok. Use a 100% hydration
starter (fed with equal amounts of flour and water).
All purpose flour: 3 to 3 1/2 cups (15 to 21 oz [5 to 6 oz/cup]) plus
2 oz to adjust sourdough hydration. Adjust flour to make a smooth soft dough.

Directions (Granola Mix for Baking):
This can be eaten straight but has more carmalization than is
conventional with granola for breakfast.
Mix the hot water and honey. Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl.
Yes, you need the water to help the sweetners mix through out the
grains. Spread in a 1/2 sheet rimmed pan and roast in a 325F oven
mixing every 10-15 minutes until a dark golden brown color thoughout.
Take care as the brown develops to avoid scorching. Store in mason
jars until used.  Note the dried fruit will be carmelized for the most part.

Directions (Bread):
Put the granola mix into the bread machine pan and pour the boiling
water over it. Allow it to cool to luke warm. Put all the remainig
ingredients except sunflower seeds and pepitas into the bread machine
and process on a knead cycle. Seeds can be added late in the knead
cycle or added after the dough is removed form the bread machine. Add
additional flour a heaping tablespoon at a time as the bread machine
kneads as needed to make a SOFT smooth dough. After the dough cycle
(first rise) put into pan(s) to rise until double (1 to 1 1/2 hours).
Bake in a preheated 350F oven until the internal temperatue is
195-200F - about 30-40 minutes.

   "A oat bread based on making a granola like grain mix to start the process."

                - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES :
If you are not able to find cracked grains for the Steel Cut Oat
Granola, use multi grain cereal mix such as 9 grain hot cerial
(uncooked), rolled mixed grains, rolled spelt, etc. More oats are not
recommended.

My target audience like lots of sunflower seeds and pepitas. Reduce
or use different seeds such as poppy or chia seeds as desired.

I do not bake in the bread machine, but rather use the dough cycle.
Makes a 2+ pound loaf bread. This bread makes killer killer toast.

Ken Vaughan in Juneau