100% Whole Grain Oatmeal Bread

Sat, 15 Jun 2019 16:08:33 -0700
v119.n024.4
* Exported from MasterCook *

                      Bread, 100% Whole Grain Oatmeal

Recipe By     :Jennifer McGavin
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Low Fat                         Posted
                 Stand Mixer

   45             grams  oatmeal -- (1/2C)
   70             grams  whole wheat flour -- (1/2C)
   1                cup  boiling water
   1              Tbsp.  honey
   1              Tbsp.  molasses -- Optional
   1              Tbsp.  oil
   1               tsp.  salt
      1/4           cup  warm water
      1/4          tsp.  instant yeast
   200            grams  whole wheat flour -- (1 1/2-2C) or (to 250g)

This bread is based on this other Oatmeal Bread recipe in this
collection. I tweaked the recipe while liberally stealing ideas from
master bakers and came up with a small loaf with wonderful taste and
a crunchy crust.

Makes one, 600 gram loaf (1 lb, 5 oz.). You can double this recipe,
but keep the loaves the same size because the bread is very moist.

Prep time: Starting after dinner the night before, you will bake the
loaf the next afternoon.

Prep: 60 mins
Cook: 35 mins
Total: 95 mins

Mix oats and whole wheat flour in a bowl. Add the boiling water and
stir. Stir in the honey, molasses, oil and salt and let cool to
lukewarm (about 1/2 hour or more). It's OK if it's room temperature, too.

To the bowl, add the 1/4 teaspoon of instant yeast, the extra water
and one cup of whole wheat flour. Here, I used whole wheat white
flour from King Arthur. Stir until flour is wet and dough is homogeneous.

Add more flour, two tablespoons at a time and stir until a firm but
sticky dough forms. Knead in the bowl when the dough is too stiff for
a spoon. (The dough was still sticky when I turned it onto a lightly
floured board, but I wet my hands with cold water and could handle it.)

Pat the dough into a 1" high rectangle. Knead by folding the dough
over into thirds (like a letter) and then patting or pulling it back
into a rectangle. Don't turn the dough 90F. You want the gluten
strands to line up in straight rows, which is hard enough with all
that oatmeal and wheat bran.

Fold it two more times, then dust with flour and cover with a clean
cloth on the board in a cool place in the kitchen. (I left it from 5
pm until 9 pm, and folded it 2 more times at two-hour intervals.)

After 3 to 4 hours at room temperature, gather the ungainly dough
into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and place in a bowl in the
refrigerator. (My dough stayed there for 16 hours).

Take dough out of refrigerator and fold 2 times on a floured board.
Let rise until the chill comes off the dough and you see it get bigger in size.

Form into a boule or batard shape, pulling the dough from the top to
the underside and pinching closed on the bottom. Because of the
oatmeal, this will not be smooth and the dough is still sticky at this point.

Place the dough, top side down, in a bowl (or on the baking sheet)
with a quarter cup of oatmeal in it and coat with oatmeal. Leave in
proofing basket (here, my two quart Corning-ware vegetable bowl)
until risen, about 2 hours. After the first hour, turn on the oven to
heat to 450F, preferably with a baking stone.

Turn the loaf out onto a small piece of parchment paper or a floured
baker's peel. Slash the top of the loaf with a sharp razor blade. (I
slashed in a square pattern.)

Place the loaf in the oven on the cornmeal or flour-strewn stone and
turn down to 400F. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the internal
temperature reaches 190F.

Note: Those hard crusts you love are created with steam. You may
create steam in the oven for the first 5 minutes. Heat an old
roasting pan on the rack below the stone and pour 2 cups of boiling
water in it right after you put the bread in the oven.

Spray water the sides of the oven with a squirt bottle two or three
times in the first 5 minutes. Turn oven down to 400F and bake for 30
minutes or more, until the internal temperature reaches 190F.

Bread steams itself dry, so let the bread cool for at least 2 hours
before slicing or it may seem gummy inside.

S(Internet address):
   https://www.thespruceeats.com/whole-grain-oatmeal-bread-from-scratch-1446693

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 67 Calories; 1g Fat (13.8%
calories from fat); 2g Protein; 13g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber;
0mg Cholesterol; 108mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 0 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 0104