Extra-tangy Sourdough Bread

Sun, 28 Jul 2019 17:45:23 -0700
v119.n030.7
* Exported from MasterCook *

                        Bread, Extra-tangy Sourdough

Recipe By     :King Arthur Flour Co
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Fatfree                         Posted

   241                g  sourdough starter -- ripe (fed),  (1C or 8 1/2 oz)
   340                g  lukewarm water -- (1 1/2C or 12 oz)
   602                g  Unbleached All-Purpose Flour -- divided, (5C
or 21 1/4 oz)
   2 1/2      teaspoons  salt

This bread, with its mellow tang, is perfect for those who like their
sourdough bread noticeably sour, but not mouth-puckeringly so.

PREP: 15 mins. to 20 mins.
BAKE: 30 mins.
TOTAL: 23 hrs 45 mins. to 23 hrs 50 mins.
YIELD: 2 loaves

Combine the starter, water, and 3 cups (12 3/4 ozs, 362g) of the
flour. Beat vigorously for 1 minute.

Cover, and let rest at room temperature for 4 hours. Refrigerate
overnight, for about 12 hours.

Add the remaining 2 cups (8 1/2 ozs, 241g) flour, and the salt. Knead
to form a smooth dough.

Allow the dough to rise in a covered bowl until it's light and airy,
with visible gas bubbles. Depending on the vigor of your starter,
this may take up to 5 hours (or even longer), depending on how active
your starter is. For best results, gently deflate the dough once an
hour by turning it out onto a lightly floured work surface,
stretching and folding the edges into the center, and turning it over
before returning it to the bowl. Adding these folds will give you a
better sense of how the dough is progressing, as well as strengthen it.

Gently divide the dough in half.

Gently shape the dough into two rounds or oval loaves, and place them
on a lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheet. Cover with
lightly greased plastic wrap and let rise until very puffy, about 2
to 4 hours (or longer; give them sufficient time to become noticeably
puffy). Don't worry if the loaves spread more than they rise; they'll
pick up once they hit the oven's heat. Towards the end of the rising
time, preheat the oven to 425F.

Spray the loaves with lukewarm water.

Slash the loaves. If you've made round loaves, try one slash across
the center, and a curved slash on each side of it; or slash in the
pattern of your choice. For oval loaves, two diagonal slashes are
fine. Make the slashes fairly deep; a serrated bread knife, wielded
firmly, works well here.

Bake the bread for 25 to 30 minutes, until it's a very deep golden
brown. Remove it from the oven, and cool on a rack.

Store bread, loosely wrapped in plastic, for several days at room
temperature; freeze for longer storage.

Tips: Looking for a more sour/tangier loaf? Try adding 1/2 teaspoon
to 5/8 teaspoon sour salt (citric acid) to the dough along with the
regular salt.
For a tasty loaf using commercial yeast (for faster rising), check
out our recipe for Rustic Sourdough Bread.
What makes the sour in sourdough bread? It's a combination of lactic
and acetic acids, created as the dough rises and ferments.
Refrigerating the dough encourages the production of more acetic than
lactic acid; and acetic acid is much the tangier of the two. Thus,
sourdough bread that's refrigerated before baking will have a more
assertive sour flavor.
To serve, split a loaf around the perimeter, and layer one half with
oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes (or oven-roasted cherry tomatoes) and
fresh basil leaves.

Cal 110, Carb 22g, Sod 220mg, Fiber 1g, Pro 3g

Review: This was the maiden voyage for my newly-matured sourdough
starter, which was created based on the recipe from this site. It
performed beautifully. I followed the instructions and did allow it
to rise for five hours with a stretch/fold every hour, divided the
dough in two, shaped into rounds, placed on lightly greased parchment
that was sprinkled with cornmeal, then gave them another couple hours
rising in two cold dutch ovens. One oven was an old (5-quart?) Pyrex
Visions and the other a 6-quart copper-bottomed Revere Ware pot. Once
I felt the dough was almost done rising, I followed the instructions
from PJ Hamel's blog titled "Baking in a Cold Dutch Oven" and put 'em
in the oven. When the bread was done, it wasn't quite as brown as I
wanted, so I put both loaves on a cookie sheet and stuck them back in
the oven for 5 minutes to get the deep golden crust I wanted. Hubby
and I were weak and only waited about an hour before enjoying half of
one of the loaves! We'll save the other one for dinner on Wednesday -
maybe! Thank you again, KAF staff AND reviewers for the recipe and information!

Review: I grew up in the SF Bay Area and was missing true sourdough
bread here in Bloomington, Indiana. This recipe is my favorite- Has
that tang I have missed. I've been making it several years now and
always with great results. Sometimes I'll go half and half with white
and wheat, adding the wheat with the first rising. A little more
dense, but still delicious!

Review: This is the best sourdough recipe and reminds me of the bread
I grew up eating in San Francisco. I just won Best Of Show in our
local fair! It's truly a winner.

Question: Wow, this turned out great! My first time making sourdough
bread too. Because I messed up my timing, I only refrigerated the
dough for about 10 hours. I baked one loaf in my Pampered Chef Baking
bowl and one in a cast iron skillet. Covered both for the first 15
minutes and set a smaller cast-iron skillet with water below both. I
set mynoven at 400because it's a convection oven, but I think next
time I will go for 425. Towards the end , it didn't seem like it was
browning so I upped the temp and gave it a very light spray of olive
oil. I like the way the one in the stoneware turned out a little
better than the cast iron, but they are both delicious. I weighed
everything and the proportions were spot on. Question: When you add
the second 2 cups of flour, what effect will using my KA mixer
instead of hand mixing have?

Response: We're thrilled to hear that your first loaves of sourdough
turned out well! You can certainly use your mixer at first to
incorporate the bulk of the flour and then knead the dough until it
becomes smooth.

Review: I've reviewed this delicious recipe in the past, but recently
made a few changes I would like to share. I divided my dough in half
as per the recipe and placed the two round loaves on my large cutting
board covered in parchment for its final rise. (I previously put my
dough on a baking sheet. I think the wooden board keeps the risen
dough warmer). After putting a pizza stone in the middle of my oven,
I heated it to 425 degrees for one hour. I placed a cast iron skillet
on the bottom shelf. Once the dough was ready for the preheated oven,
I sprayed the loaves and slashed the tops into a cross, picked up the
parchment paper and bread and put it in the oven on the pizza stone.
I poured a cup of boiling water into the cast iron skillet (don't
burn your hands or arms - wear long one mitts) and closed the oven. I
baked the bread for 30 minutes as per the recipe. It came out
wonderful. I have made this recipe about 20 times in the past few
years, and I am happier with these two loaves that any others I made.
They were a beautiful golden brown and the crust was amazing. Thank
you KAF for so many wonderful recipes!

Question: This recipe turned out wonderfully! The bread had a nice,
open crumb and a tight crust. My family loved it. One question: Can I
keep the dough in the refrigerator for longer than 12 hours? I
accidentally made the dough too early this morning, and don't want to
wake up at 2 AM to take it out of the fridge and fold it every hour thereafter.
Response: We're glad to hear that you enjoy this recipe! If you'll
need to leave the dough in the fridge for a while longer, we'd
recommend not going over 16 hours. You'll want to keep in mind though
that the dough might not rise as much or get as brown as it has in
previous bakes because the yeast will have more time to eat up the sugars.

Question: This recipe really gets you the tang you expect to get from
a sourdough. It truly makes great loaves and is quite forgiving if
you forget to do the folds while proofing. It would be great if you
could help me understand the hydration percent (%) of it ,since i do
not know how the starter counts (towards water or flour %? ). water
is 340g and flour 602g so that is 56% hydration, but what about the
starter and the total % it leads to ?
Response: We're glad that you enjoy this recipe! If you feed your
starter equal parts flour and water, then half of the weight of
starter called for in the recipe will count towards the hydration
percentage. That makes the hydration of this recipe 64%. We hope this
helps and happy baking!

Question: I'm back for more feedback, actually (review: great
recipe.)Once I started weighing the flour the dough got wetter.I had
been baking this bread successfully for months before I wanted to go
for bigger holes in the crumb (is that correct usage?) Bought the
scale and weighed the flour and it was improved but once I started
weighing the flour AND starter AND water, the dough got even wetter
and when it was baked and sliced, looked exactly like biscotti. The
HOLES were bigger, the taste was spectacular, but the rise? Also,
it's so wet that after rising, I can't weigh out my loaves
because.... well, I won't waste space explaining that. Suffice it to
say that I'm barely able to shape them (twice) and they don't rise on
the baking tray before oven time -- they spread.So, here's the facts
involved:Flour: I use King Arthur Bread flour Oven PreHeat: solid
half hour -- way past the 'beep, it's ready' beepStarter: 1/2 C King
Arthur AP flour to 1/4 C filtered water, fed 4 hours previous to
using (at it's peak)Baked loaves until 208FWill a proofing basket (on
order) prevent the spread? I can always just go back to making it the
way I did before, via volume, but I guess I'm disappointed it's not
working for me the 'artisan' way.
Response: We see you're in Florida so we're going to assume it's
fairly humid where you live and flour absorbs water even if it's just
in the air. Our blog article "Winter to summer yeast baking" has some
helpful tips including reducing the water by 10% to 15% in humid
weather to prevent your doughs from being unmanageably sticky.

Review: I made this recipe today but began it yesterday. It is
amazing, forgiving and delicious!! I have large, gorgeous holes in it
and great sour flavor. I haven't baked bread in over a year but this
is such a great recipe that it seemed to accommodate myclumsiness and
lack of experience. My starter came from a friend and I've fed it but
never expected my first attempt at aFree form bread to come out like
this. Thank you for a great recipe!

Question: Tried this recipe several times with good results, I'm sure
this recipe can be cut in half to produce one loaf, but What are the
adjustments needed in the amounts of ingredients and proof time? I
like the over night in fridge, do I need to shorten time in fridge to
avoid over proofing?
Response: We're glad to hear that you enjoy this recipe! To make just
one loaf you'll just divide each ingredient in half. The resting
times will be roughly the same, but to be safe the first time you
make a half recipe we'd suggest checking on your dough about an hour
earlier than listed in the recipe. You'll want to see that the dough
looks the same as it usually does at each point in the recipe, and
record the amount of time it took for the dough to get there. The
amount of time in the fridge can remain the same, as the cooler
temperature slows down the fermentation so as long as the dough
doesn't become over-proofed on the frist rise you should be all set.

S(Internet address):
   https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/extra-tangy-sourdough-bread-recipe

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 204 Calories; 1g Fat (2.4%
calories from fat); 6g Protein; 42g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
0mg Cholesterol; 446mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch).

NOTES : 2019 - 0728