Bakery-Style Muffins

Wed, 14 Aug 2019 19:12:43 -0700
v119.n033.8
* Exported from MasterCook *

                           Muffins, Bakery-Style

Recipe By     :Kelli Foster
Categories    : Bread-Bakers Mailing List       Muffins/Rolls
                 Posted

                         For the crumb topping:
      1/2           cup  granulated sugar
      1/2           cup  packed light brown sugar
   1           teaspoon  ground cinnamon
      1/4      teaspoon  salt
   10       tablespoons  unsalted butter -- melted and cooled, (5 oz)
   1 3/4           cups  cake flour
                         For the muffins:
   2 1/2           cups  cake flour
      3/4           cup  granulated sugar
   1           teaspoon  baking powder
      1/2      teaspoon  baking soda
      1/4      teaspoon  salt
   12       tablespoons  unsalted butter -- melted and cooled, (6 oz)
      2/3           cup  buttermilk
   2              large  eggs
   2              large  egg yolks
   2          teaspoons  vanilla extract
      1/4           cup  powdered sugar

Heat the oven and prepare the muffin tins. Arrange a rack in the
middle of the oven and heat to 350F. Line a standard 12-well muffin
tin with paper liners, or coat the wells with butter or cooking
spray; set aside.

Make the crumb topping. Whisk the granulated sugar, brown sugar,
cinnamon, and salt together in a medium bowl. Whisk in the butter
until well-combined. Stir in the flour until the mixture just
resembles a thick dough; set aside.

Mix the dry ingredients for the muffins. Whisk the flour, sugar,
baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl.

Mix the wet ingredients. Whisk the butter, buttermilk, eggs, egg
yolks, and vanilla together in a medium bowl until combined.

Fold the wet ingredients into the dry. Pour the wet ingredients into
the flour mixture and mix with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until
just combined; some lumps are fine.

Fill the pan and top with crumbs. Divide the batter among the
prepared muffin wells, filling each one 3/4 of the way full. Divide
the reserved crumbs among the muffin wells, and gently press them
into the batter.

Bake the muffins. Bake until the muffins are golden-brown and a
toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, 20 to
24 minutes. Cool the muffins in the pan for about 5 minutes, then
transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.

Dust with powdered sugar. Dust the muffins with powdered sugar before serving.

NOTES: The muffins will keep at in an airtight container at room
temperature for up to 5 days. They can also be frozen for up to 2
months, then thawed at room temperature.

Cal 310, Fat 14g, Carb 43g, Sod 135mg, Fiber .6g, Pro 4g

Review: I made these muffins this morning but I think there may be a
mistake in the amount of cake flour for the crumble.  My crumble did
not form a 'soft dough'.  I'm thinking the recipe should call for 3/4
cup cake flour vs 1 3/4 cup cake flour.  I added more butter but I
had far too much crumble left over.

S(Internet address):
   https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-bakery-style-crumb-muffins-247430

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 481 Calories; 23g Fat (43.1%
calories from fat); 5g Protein; 64g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary
Fiber; 128mg Cholesterol; 217mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch);
0 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 4 1/2 Fat; 2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 0814