Artisan Hearth Bread

Wed, 21 Aug 2019 18:42:54 -0700
v119.n035.7
* Exported from MasterCook *

                           Bread, Artisan Hearth

Recipe By     :King Arthur Flour Co.
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Fatfree                         Posted

                         STARTER
   74                 g  cool water -- about 65F, (1/3C or 2 5/8 oz)
   57                 g  Artisan Bread Flour -- (1/2C or 2 oz)
     1/16      teaspoon  instant yeast -- (a pinch)
                         DOUGH
                         all of the starter -- above
   170                g  cool water -- about 65F (3/4C or 6 oz)
   298                g  Artisan Bread Flour -- (2 1/2C or 10 1/2 oz)
   1           teaspoon  instant yeast
   1 1/4      teaspoons  salt

With its crispy crust and soft, somewhat chewy interior, this loaf of
bread is what many of us seek out when we're going to the bakery.
Using some simple tools - namely a brotform and baking stone - and a
couple of our favorite bakery tricks, you can create your own artisan
loaf in your home kitchen.

PREP: 20 mins.
BAKE: 30 mins. to 35 mins.
TOTAL: 16:45
YIELD: 1 boule

To make the starter: Weigh the flour, or measure it by gently
spooning it into a measuring cup and sweeping off the excess. Combine
the flour, water, and yeast. Cover the container and allow to rest
for 12 to 16 hours at room temperature. It should be doubled in size,
and filled with large bubbles.

Add the water to the starter. Weigh the flour, or measure it by
gently spooning it into a measuring cup and sweeping off the excess.
Add the flour, mix to combine, cover the bowl, and allow the mixture
to rest for 20 minutes to allow the flour to absorb the liquid and
the gluten to start its development.

Add the yeast and salt, and knead the dough until it's fairly smooth,
about 5 to 7 minutes by hand or 3 to 4 minutes using a stand mixer
set at medium-low speed.

Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover the bowl, and allow
the dough to rise at room temperature for 1 1/2 hours. Turn the dough
every 30 minutes during the rising time by gently folding all four
sides into the middle, and turning the dough over.

Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface and shape it
into a ball (boule).

Place the boule smooth side down in a flour-dusted or lined brotform
or bowl. Loosely cover the boule and allow it to rise at room
temperature for 1 1/2 to 2 hours; it should be puffy but not doubled.

About 30 minutes before the boule is finished rising, preheat the
oven to 425F and place a baking stone on the center rack.

Turn the boule, smooth side up, very gently onto a baker's peel
dusted with semolina or cornmeal, or onto a piece of parchment, and
transfer it to the hot stone. The dough should slip out gracefully,
without deflating. If it does happen to deflate a lot (a small
settling is OK), simply form it into a smooth ball, put it back in
the brotform or bowl, and let it rise again (only this time not quite as high).

Bake the bread for 30 to 35 minutes, until it's deep golden brown and
crusty, spraying water into the oven with a spray bottle three times
during the first 10 minutes of baking.

Remove the loaf from the oven, transfer it to a rack, and allow it to
cool completely.

Store leftover bread wrapped in plastic for 2 to 3 days at room
temperature; or in the freezer for up to 3 months.

Review: Excellent bread! This was my first time working with the
Artisan Bread Flour and it was so interesting. Very springy. My
second rise was only slightly more than an hour and my baking time
was just under 30 minutes. My crust was nice and crisp and the crumb
was so moist and chewy. Delicious bread!

Review: Used the recipe to bake a nice loaf of bread in my Zori .
Yes, I had to add a little bit of flour, since the dough was very
wet. I used red mill Artisan flour, because I had that at
home.Haven't tried the KA Artisan flour yet. My loaf even had a nice
crust and tasted great. Next time I will try to make rolls with the
dough. Just can't heat my big oven to 450 in Summer in S.California.
In Winter I might try baking it in my cast iron pot. Had good
results with that method.

Review: i made this with no problem and fortunately had already
purchased the brotform which i use a lot. this is one kaf product
that is well worth the purchase. delicious bread.

Question: I had to call the bakers hotline when making this recipe
that is included in the fall King Arthur catalog. That recipe left
out when to add the 6 oz of water to the dough. The hotline answered
my question promptly. But the dough was so slack and after rising to
not quite double in a brotform, it just slumped onto the parchment
and after baking was only 2" tall at the center. I weighed all
ingredients. Not sure why it didn't get any oven spring.
Response: We're glad to hear you gave our Baker's Hotline a ring and
they were able to point you in the right direction. This dough is a
higher hydration (68%), which means it can be delicate, soft, and a
bit hard to handle in humid months. In the summer, you may need to
add a few tablespoons of additional flour to compensate for the
moisture in the air that can make the dough even higher hydration.
It's also possible that your dough was a bit over-proofed, which can
valso easily happen when it's warm outside. Next time, try reducing
the rising time slightly and use just a bit more flour; also try
using King Arthur brand flour if you're not already doing so. It's a
high protein content flour that should help give your dough strength.

S(Internet address):
   https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/artisan-hearth-bread-recipe

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 109 Calories; trace Fat (0.1%
calories from fat); 4g Protein; 23g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
0mg Cholesterol; 223mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat.

NOTES : 2019 - 0607