Raisin Bran Muffins

Fri, 13 Sep 2019 17:30:05 -0700
v119.n037.4
* Exported from MasterCook *

                            Muffins, Raisin Bran

Recipe By     :Paula Montenegro
Categories    : Bread-Bakers Mailing List       Fruit
                 Muffins/Rolls                   Posted
                 Stand Mixer

   2               cups  wheat bran -- (100g)
   1                cup  raisins -- no seeds, (120g)
   1 1/2           cups  water -- (375ml)
      1/2           cup  buttermilk -- (125ml)
   2               Tbsp  orange zest -- (to 3 Tbsp) of 1 orange
      1/2           cup  brown sugar -- (100g)
      1/2           cup  coconut oil -- (125ml) (or another oil, even olive)
   1                     egg -- room temp
   1                     egg white -- room temp
      1/2           cup  all-purpose flour -- (70g)
      1/4           cup  fine whole wheat flour -- (40g)
   1           teaspoon  baking powder
   1           teaspoon  baking soda
      1/2      teaspoon  salt

Raisin Bran Muffins that are fabulous, nutritious, fiber-loaded, easy
to make, delicious and super moist! They freeze beautifully and are
the perfect on-the-go breakfast.

Prep: 25 min
Cook: 25 min
Total: 50 min

Preheat oven at 325F / 170C

Have ready 12 muffin cups with paper liners.

In a small saucepan bring to a boil the raisins and 1 cup of the
water. Let it boil very slowly for about 15 minutes, until there is
almost no water left.

Process the raisins, as smooth or a bit chunky, whatever you like.
You can skip this step.

Toast the wheat bran for about 5 minutes in the oven, careful not to
burn. Move it around so it toasts evenly. Careful it burns quickly if
you don't watch it, much like coconut.

In a large bowl mix buttermilk with toasted bran, raisins, orange
zest and sugar. Mix well.

Add coconut oil, egg, egg white and mix everything.

Add both flours, baking powder, soda and salt (I sift them directly
over the oil mixture) and mix quickly and only until no dry streaks
remain. Do not overmix.

Divide between muffin cups and bake for about 25 minutes, until a
tester comes out dry. They don't raise much.

Let cook on a wire rack.

Notes:
Wheat bran: not to be mistaken with oat bran. Wheat bran comes in
different levels of coarseness, and I the very or medium one. It
gives the muffins the texture which I find to be essential.
Raisins: I use dark or light raisins, and sometimes add cranberries
if I have some lying around.
Flours: besides all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour is used in this
recipe. I am partial to superfine which is similar in texture to
white flour. We already have the bran to give texture.

Cal 203, Fat 10g, Carb 28g, Sod 228mg, Pro 4g

S(Internet address):
   https://vintagekitchennotes.com/nancy-silverton-toasted-bran-muffins-clone/#tasty-recipes-12144

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 198 Calories; 10g Fat (41.4%
calories from fat); 4g Protein; 28g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber;
18mg Cholesterol; 261mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 1/2 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 0913