Pear Chai Spiced Scones with Spiced Pear Glaze

Fri, 13 Sep 2019 18:49:51 -0700
v119.n037.5
* Exported from MasterCook *

           Scones, Pear Chai Spiced Scones with Spiced Pear Glaze

Recipe By     :
Serving Size  : 8     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Biscuits/Scones                 Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Fruit                           Posted

                         Scones:
   2               cups  all-purpose flour -- (250 g)
      1/4           cup  granulated sugar -- (50 g)
   1         tablespoon  baking powder -- (15 g)
   2          teaspoons  kosher salt -- (6 g)
   1           teaspoon  ground cinnamon -- (2 g)
   1           teaspoon  ground ginger -- (2 g)
      1/2      teaspoon  grated fresh nutmeg -- (1 g)
      1/4      teaspoon  ground cardamom -- (0.5 g)
      1/4      teaspoon  ground black pepper -- (0.5 g)
   5        tablespoons  cold unsalted butter -- cubed, (70 g)
   2              small  pears -- cored and chopped
   1                cup  heavy whipping cream -- plus
   1           teaspoon  heavy whipping cream -- divided
   1              large  egg
                         Spiced Pear Syrup:
      1/4           cup  granulated sugar -- (50 g)
      1/4           cup  water
   1                     pear -- sliced
   1                     cinnamon stick
   1                     star anise
                         Pear Glaze:
      1/2           cup  confectioners' sugar -- (60 g)
   2        tablespoons  Spiced Pear Syrup

Baked with an aromatic Indian spice and topped with a sweet pear
drizzle, these spiced scones are bursting with flavor.

Preheat oven to 425F. Spray an 8" round cake pan with baking spray
with flour. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

For scones: In the work bowl of a food processor, place flour, sugar,
baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cardamom, and pepper;
pulse until combined. Add cold butter, and pulse until mixture is crumbly.

Transfer dough to a large bowl, and fold in pears and 1 cup cream,
stirring until combined. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured
surface, and knead briefly, just until dough comes together. Press
dough into prepared cake pan. Turn out, and using a sharp knife or
bench scraper, cut into 8 wedges. Transfer wedges to prepared baking sheet.

In a small bowl, whisk together egg and remaining 1 teaspoon cream.
Brush tops of scones with egg wash, and bake until golden brown, 12
to 16 minutes.

For spiced pear syrup: In a small saucepan, bring sugar, 1/4 cup
water, pear, cinnamon, and star anise to a boil over medium-high
heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar is dissolved, about 5
minutes. Remove from heat, and let cool completely. Strain mixture
through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl, discarding solids.

For pear glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together confectioners' sugar
and Spiced Pear Syrup until smooth. Drizzle over warm scones.

Question: What kind of pears would you recommend for this recipe? I
can't wait to try itâ?¦the recipe looks awesome!
Response: Thanks for reaching out! You could use any types of pears
that you would like, but we recommend using a Bartlett Pears.

Review: These are fantastic!! Just the right texture, with the pears
adding a little moisture. I used anjou pears (unpeeled) and they are delicious!

Review: Probably would be good if the flavor wasn't overwhelmed by
salt. I might try this again and cut the salt in half.

Review: My favorite annual fall-kickoff recipe! The recipe rides a
bit on the salty side, like another person mentioned, so I would be
light handed with the pour.

Overall, though, it's an easy-to-follow and easy-to-make recipe with
a result that could trick people into thinking you spent all day on
these scones! I cannot recommend this recipe enough, although I try
to not mention it too often so people don't know my secret for
fabulous and flavorful scones!

S(Internet address):
   https://www.bakefromscratch.com/pear-chai-spiced-scones/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 380 Calories; 20g Fat (45.8%
calories from fat); 5g Protein; 47g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber;
88mg Cholesterol; 676mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 1/2 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 4 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 0913