Apple Honey Pecan Muffins

Mon, 30 Sep 2019 19:40:39 -0700
v119.n040.2
* Exported from MasterCook *

                         Muffins, Apple Honey Pecan

Recipe By     :Ochre Bakery, Detroit, MI
Categories    : Bread-Bakers Mailing List       Fruit
                 Muffins/Rolls                   Nuts
                 Posted                          Stand Mixer

                         Nonstick vegetable oil spray
   2             medium  apples -- Pink Lady or Jonagold
      2/3           cup  pecans -- (75 g)
   2              Tbsp.  unsalted butter
   2              Tbsp.  honey
                         Flaky sea salt
      3/4           cup  all-purpose flour -- (100 g)
      1/2           cup  spelt flour -- or all-purpose flour (60 g)
   1 1/2           tsp.  baking powder
      1/4          tsp.  baking soda
      1/2          tsp.  kosher salt
   2              large  eggs -- room temperature
      3/4           cup  granulated sugar -- (150 g)
      3/4           cup  extra-virgin olive oil -- plus
   2              Tbsp.  extra-virgin olive oil
      1/2           cup  buttermilk
                         granulated sugar -- or raw sugar for sprinkling

Everything about this tender muffin from Ochre Bakery in Detroit (No.
4 on our Hot Ten list for 2019!) maximizes the flavor of tart apples
and nutty pecans. The apple slices get glazed in honey before baking,
while the pecan meal is deeply toasted. In the background, tangy
buttermilk keeps everything from getting too sweet.

Place a rack in middle of oven; preheat to 350F. Lightly coat flat
top of a standard 12-cup muffin pan with nonstick spray (this will
prevent muffins from gluing themselves to the pan). Line cups with
double layers of muffin liners. Cut apples into quarters; remove
cores. Cut each quarter into 4 wedges; set aside.

Pulse pecans in a food processor until you have a fine meal with a
bit of texture, like coarse sand. Heat a large skillet over
medium-high, then add pecans and toast, stirring, until darkened and
very fragrant (it's okay if they're even a tiny bit burnt in spots),
about 3 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool slightly.

Wipe out skillet and return to medium-high heat. Melt butter,
swirling pan so that it's evenly coated, until foaming, then add
reserved apples. Drizzle with honey and generously sprinkle with sea
salt. Cook, tossing often, until apples are tender and deep golden
brown and glazed with honey, about 5 minutes. Scrape into a medium
bowl and let cool.

Add all-purpose flour, spelt flour, baking powder, baking soda, and
kosher salt to nuts; whisk to combine. Beat eggs and granulated sugar
in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment on high
speed until mixture is thick, pale, and tripled in volume, 8 to 10 minutes.

Combine oil and buttermilk in a measuring glass. With motor running,
gradually pour into egg mixture, stopping as soon as incorporated to
prevent eggs from deflating. Scrape into bowl with dry ingredients
and fold until just combined (be careful not to overmix). Scoop about
2 Tbsp. batter into each muffin cup and place an apple slice on top.
Divide remaining batter among muffin cups, filling until just below
the top (you may have a spoonful or two of batter left over). Place 1
apple slice on top of each, then spoon any glaze left in the bowl on
top. (You'll have a few leftover apple slices; eat them.) Sprinkle
each muffin with some raw sugar and a pinch of sea salt.

Bake muffins until golden brown all over, rotating pan halfway
through, 22 to 28 minutes. Let cool in pan 10 minutes, then transfer
to a wire rack and let cool completely.

Do Ahead: Batter can be made 2 days ahead. Cover and chill.

Review: Made these tonight and added apple to the batter. I liked
that they were not super sweet but I wish I had added cinnamon and
vanilla to the batter for more flavor.

Review: A truly amazing muffin recipe. I noticed that some users said
that they wished there were more apples on the muffins, so I added an
extra apple and I don't regret it. I also had no honey on hand and
substituted it with maple syrup. 10/10 would make again.

Review: These are phenomenal. Beautifully soft crumb, delicious
flavor, tiny bits of pecan in every bite, sweet tender apples. Wow. I
couldn't find spelt, so I used all all-purpose flour. Going in, the
olive oil weirded me out a bit, I wasn't sure going in, but I think
it really adds to the flavor, I wouldn't substitute it. My only
critique of these is that I loved the apples and wished there were
more. Next time I make these I'll probably throw in an extra apple.
Wishing I lived in Detroit so I could go to this bakery and try all
of their baked goods!

S(Internet address):
   https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/apple-honey-pecan-muffins

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 330 Calories; 23g Fat (61.0%
calories from fat); 3g Protein; 30g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber;
41mg Cholesterol; 189mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 0 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 4 1/2 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 0930