Pull-Apart Bread with Pumpkin and Spinach

Wed, 02 Oct 2019 21:32:51 -0700
v119.n041.1
* Exported from MasterCook *

              Bread, Pull-Apart Bread with Pumpkin and Spinach

Recipe By     :Katherine Sacks
Serving Size  : 6     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Posted                          Stand Mixer

   3               cups  all-purpose flour
      3/4           cup  pumpkin puree -- fresh or canned
      2/3           cup  lukewarm whole milk
      1/4           cup  sugar
   1           teaspoon  active dry yeast
   1           teaspoon  ground nutmeg
   10       tablespoons  unsalted butter -- melted, divided
   1 1/4      teaspoons  kosher salt -- divided
                         Vegetable oil -- for greasing
      1/2           cup  grated Pecorino cheese -- packed finely
(about 1 1/4 oz)
      1/2           cup  frozen spinach -- packed thawed drained
      1/4      teaspoon  freshly ground black pepper
      1/4      teaspoon  garlic powder
   1              large  egg
                         Flaky sea salt

This stunning bread gets its branch-like form by taking a shaping cue
from the classic French baguette bread, Pain d'Epi (a.k.a. wheat
stalk bread). Use sharp scissors to cut the dough and gently move
each piece to the side to keep the rolled filling as tight as possible.

ACTIVE: 1 hour
TOTAL: 2:25

Mix flour, pumpkin, milk, sugar, yeast, nutmeg, 2 Tbsp. butter, and 1
tsp. kosher salt in a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted
with the dough hook until dough comes together. Knead with your hands
or dough hook until dough is soft and smooth, about 10 minutes. Form
into a ball.

Lightly grease a large clean bowl with oil; transfer dough to bowl.
Cover tightly with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until
doubled in size, about 1 hour.

Meanwhile, puree cheese, spinach, pepper, garlic powder, 5 Tbsp.
butter, and remaining 1/4 tsp. kosher salt in a food processor until
smooth. Add egg and pulse to combine.

Arrange racks in upper and lower thirds of oven; preheat to 375F.
Divide dough into 2 equal pieces. Roll each piece to a 14x8" oval.

Transfer 1 oval to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Spread half of
spinach mixture in a thin layer over. Starting at long side, tightly
roll dough around filling into a long tube (like a cinnamon roll).

Arrange tube diagonally on sheet. Starting 1" from end closest to
you, use sharp kitchen shears to make a deep incision at a 45-degree
angle away from you, cutting almost to the bottom without cutting
through. Carefully shift small cut piece to the left, keeping the
bottom connected. Make another 45-degree incision 1" from first.
Carefully shift piece to the right. Continue cutting and shifting to
alternate sides for a total of 12-14 pieces. Repeat rolling, filling,
and cutting with second piece of dough on another parchment-lined
rimmed baking sheet.

Brush dough with 2 Tbsp. butter; sprinkle edges with sea salt. Bake,
rotating sheets halfway through, until golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes.

Brush bread with remaining 1 Tbsp. butter and let cool slightly before serving.

Do Ahead: Dough and filling can be made 1 day ahead; cover and chill.
Bring to room temperature before rolling and filling.

Cal 388, Fat 19g, Carb 46g, Sod 301mg, Fiber 2g, Pro 8g

Review: I love this bread! It looks spectacular and tastes delicious.
As I was making it for a 50th birthday brunch, I trialled it a few
times and made just a few changes: I used strong bread flour rather
than all-purpose which resulted in a lovely smooth stretchy dough and
gave the cooked bread a nicer, chewier texture; I replaced the nutmeg
with mild chilli powder as my husband hates nutmeg and it was still
delicious; I prepared the loaves (including rolling, filling and
shaping) the day before, kept them covered in the fridge, bringing
them to room temp an hour before baking. It was a huge hit and I'll
be making it again for Thanksgiving. (I had no problem with the dough
raising to double in size in 1 1/2 hours at 30 deg C, 86 deg F.)

Review: Loved this recipe! It was very tasty. It complimented my
pumpkin chile that I make every October! Big hit! I might add a
little diced jalapeno to give it a kick next time.

Review: this is easy to make and delicious. My family wants it for
every holiday!

Review: Delicious! I have made this twice, no modifications. Rave
reviews from my culinary victims.

Review: Made this yesterday because the ingredients appealed to me
and it looked beautiful in the picture. Followed the recipe exactly.
It's not as complicated to make as one would think and the flavor is
wonderful. I found the dough to be super easy to manipulate. This one
is a keeper! Makes a wonderful holiday gift too.

Review: Super easy to put together and beyond delicious. Made it for
Thanksgiving and it has already been requested for Christmas, too. I
made the dough the night before then chilled it. Rolling it out the
next morning and spreading on the filling was a cinch and it baked perfectly.

Review: I wanted a purely savory bread so I eliminated all but 1 tbs
sugar (for the yeast) and reduced to 1/2 tsp nutmeg. I was surprised
at how easy it was to make, the dough rolled out with no problems.
Make sure you don't refrigerate the filling or it will be a nightmare
to spread. Everyone enjoyed this, it was fluffy and very more-ish. I
will definitely make it again.

Review: This was fabulous! Would definitely make it again and not
difficult to make. You can make the dough in advance and it rose a
lot the second day. Would recommend doing this. The flavors were
terrific - even the kids ate it! Will definitely make it again.

Review: Holy Sh!%, this is good!

S(Internet address):
   https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/pull-apart-bread-with-pumpkin-and-spinach
Yield:
   "6 to 8"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 476 Calories; 22g Fat (41.0%
calories from fat); 10g Protein; 61g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber;
91mg Cholesterol; 432mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 3 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 4 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 1002