Scandinavian Rye Bread

Fri, 15 Nov 2019 17:54:02 -0800
v119.n046.7
* Exported from MasterCook *

                          Bread, Scandinavian Rye

Recipe By     :Lionel Vatinet
Serving Size  : 0     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Posted

      1/2           cup  rye berries -- rinsed and drained
   5 1/4           cups  warm water
      1/2           cup  millet -- rinsed and drained
   2 1/4            tsp  active dry yeast -- (1 envelope or 1/4 oz)
   4               cups  whole-grain rye flour
   1                cup  bread flour
   2        tablespoons  fine sea salt
   1 1/4           cups  rolled oats
                         Vegetable oil -- for greasing

Master baker Lionel Vatinet makes this dense, super-flavorful bread
with locally milled rye flour.

Active: 35 MIN
Total: 5:45

In a small saucepan, cover the rye berries with 2 cups of the water
and bring to a boil. Simmer gently over moderately low heat until all
of the water has been absorbed and the rye berries are al dente,
about 40 minutes. Spread the rye berries on parchment paper and let
cool completely.

Meanwhile, in another small saucepan, cover the millet with 1 cup of
the water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to moderately low and
simmer until all of the water has been absorbed and the millet is
halfway to tender, about 12 minutes. Spread the millet on parchment
paper and let cool completely.

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle, mix the yeast
with the remaining 2 1/4 cups of water and let stand until foamy, 10
minutes. Add both of the flours and the salt and mix at low speed for
5 minutes. Increase the speed to medium and mix for 2 minutes. Mix in
the cooled rye berries and millet along with 3/4 cup of the rolled
oats. Scrape the dough into a greased large bowl and cover with
plastic wrap. Let stand in a warm spot until doubled, about 2 hours.

Scatter the remaining 1/2 cup of oats on a work surface and scrape
the dough onto them. Roll the dough until coated with the oats, then
pat into a large brick shape. Transfer the dough to a greased 9-by-5"
loaf pan and cover with a damp kitchen towel. Let stand in a warm
spot until slightly risen, about 1 1/2 hours.

Preheat the oven to 450F. Bake the bread for 55 minutes to 1 hour,
until lightly browned on top and an instant-read thermometer inserted
in the center registers 200. Transfer to a rack and let cool for 30
minutes. Unmold and let cool completely.

Make Ahead: The bread can be kept wrapped in plastic at room
temperature for 5 days.

Review: In Norway, I found there were chefs who used salt very
liberally-- sometimes to the point where I could taste nothing but
salt. I'm wondering if this recipe for *one* loaf of bread needs 2
*tablespoons* of fine sea salt. I ate a lot of bread in Norway and
never had anything that salty, even though some breads were quite
salty, to my taste. I wonder if the person typing this in meant 2
*teaspoons* of salt, which would be plenty salty for almost anyone.

S(Internet address):
   https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/scandinavian-rye-bread

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 3127 Calories; 23g Fat (6.5%
calories from fat); 101g Protein; 646g Carbohydrate; 53g Dietary
Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 11346mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 37 Grain(Starch);
1/2 Lean Meat; 3 Fat.

NOTES : 2019 - 0104