Soft Pretzel Rolls

Mon, 25 Nov 2019 17:17:01 -0800
v119.n048.1
* Exported from MasterCook *

                            Rolls, Soft Pretzel

Recipe By     :Jessica Merchant
Categories    : Bread-Bakers Mailing List       Low Fat
                 Muffins/Rolls                   Posted

   1 1/2            cup  Warm Water -- (110F)
   2 1/4            tsp  Active Dry Yeast -- (not Quick Rise Yeast), (1/4 Oz.)
   2          teaspoons  Sugar
   4 1/2           cups  Unbleached All-purpose Flour
   2          teaspoons  Kosher Salt
   4        Tablespoons  Unsalted Butter -- melted
      1/4          cups  Baking Soda
   1              whole  Egg -- Lightly Beaten
                         Pretzel Salt -- To Sprinkle On Top

My new addiction is soft. And fluffy. And dense. And hot. And easy.
And delicious when dipped in thick homemade smoked cheddar sauce.

Prep: 2 hrs
Cook: 15 mins

In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the water and the yeast and let
rest 5 minutes until foamy.

Add the sugar, flour, salt, and butter; mix with the dough hook until
thoroughly combined. Cover with a towel and let rise in a warm place
for 1 hour or until doubled in bulk. Punch down and turn out onto a
lightly floured surface.

Line two sheet pans with parchment paper.

Cut the dough into 18 pieces (2 oz each). To shape, take a piece of
dough and start forming a round, smooth ball by pulling the sides to
the center and pinching to seal. Place, pinched side down, on a
counter and lightly cupping your hand around the dough ball, rotate
your hand in small circles lightly rolling the ball around the palm
of your hand.

Place the ball on the baking sheet pinched seam side down, with at
least 1" between each roll. Cover with a towel and let rise in a warm
place for 30 minutes until doubled.

Preheat oven to 425F and place oven racks on the lowest and middle positions.

In a large saucepan, bring 2 quarts of water to a low boil. Add the
baking soda and lower heat to a simmer. Put the rolls into the
poaching liquid, seam side down. Poach for 30 seconds then carefully
turn the roll over in the liquid. Poach other side for 30 seconds
then remove with a slotted spoon to the same prepared sheet pans,
seam side down. Repeat with the remaining rolls.

With a pastry brush, glaze each roll with the lightly beaten egg,
making sure to coat all sides completely. Top each roll with a
sprinkle of pretzel salt. With a sharp straight edged knife, cut a
slash or "X" in the top of each roll.

Bake the rolls in the preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes.

Review: I just made these for a multicultural lunch in my daughter's
class. They really taste like soft pretzels. It is a little time
consuming(waiting), but easy for someone who has never baked bread
with yeast. I didn't have the dough hook; but mixed a bit, then used
my hands for the rest. Thanks for the recipe!

Review: Going to make these for the 3rd time in one week, they are
that good. But because I can't help myself from tweaking recipes, I
am inserting a small square of jalapeno cheddar in the center of each
roll. I hoping the cheese remains intact while baking. Maybe I'll
cross myself with a little flour and say a little prayer.

Review: I made the dough in my bread machine. LOTS less work. Just
took them out of the oven and letting them cool now. Hubby wants one
for breakfast as it is midnight now ~
Fun and easy to make. IF they taste as good as they look, I may just
make another batch to take to the MIL's to go with Easter dinner

Review: Just made these pretzel rolls, absolutely awesome Great taste
, look great with a soft center and a bit chewy. Baked them 15
minutes, some With a small slit, some larger slits and some none at
all. Baked in two batches ate three before the second batch was
finished baking. Oh yea, cover with foil the last 5 to 7 minutes to
keep from getting too dark.

Review: I will so be posting about these. I made these today for
company tomorrow. Egg salad sandwiches here we come!

Review: I threw all the ingredients into my Breadmaker on Dough cycle
and it worked like a dream! Not very Pioneer Woman, I know, but
whatever works in my busy day. Thanks for the recipe, everyone loves them!

Review: Just made these this morning, and while mine aren't quite
as pretty as the pictures, they sure do taste yummy!!
A suggestion for the instructions above for those of us who aren't
adventurous cooks and don't have a lot of experience. When I added
the baking soda to the boiling water, I learned a hard lesson -
never add the entire 1/4 cup at once! The water foamed and boiled
over the pot and all over my stove. Next time I'll add the baking
soda to the water a little bit at a time.
Thanks for the great recipe - I can't wait until my family gets
home and tries out my homemade pretzel "balls".

Review: You've given me the kick in the you-know-what to finally try
and make these. I've been wanting to try them since I had them last
fall at a pub in Gettysburg, PA. These rolls are their specialty, and
I had the ham, swiss (?), and grilled pineapple on a pretzel roll. Yummmmmmmmm

Review: Dip the boiled dough into sodium hydroxide for an authentic
German pretzels! It makes all the difference in the world!

Review: I made these last night and they were delicious.! They tasted
like a pretzel, but were far better than the kind you get at a football game!

Review: Yeast can be a beast! It could have been the age of your
yeast (before you bought the new stuff) or the temperature of your
water? Mine was pretty foamy after about 10 minutes and I didn't add
any sugar. However when I make my own pizza crust, I always add some
honey. I'm no expert on yeast at all, but I've also heard outside
temp/altitude/humidity can play a factor? Either way, if you need the
sugar to make the yeast foamy, I say go for it! Doesn't hurt the recipe

Question: I have a question. I tried to make these yesterday, and
began with seven failed attempts. My yeast + water never foamed even
a little bit after 3 attempts, so I opened a fresh brick of yeast and
got the same results. Then I broke down and went to the store and got
a strip of packets, and after two unsuccessful attempts with that
yeast, it occurred to me typically when I make breads, I 'feed'
sugar to the yeast/water combo in the beginning. So - I jumped back
in and started out with the sugar+yeast+H2O. Worked like a charm.

Did I need to have done that? How foamy should it have looked after 5
- 10 minutes of just yeast + water?

Review: Hey! That's my recipe! Pretty cool. These rolls are awesome!
I had my doubts after the boiling but the are so yummy.

Review: Beautiful little rolls. They don't seem too complicated to
make, and they would be perfect as an alternative to tea sandwiches
for a party.

Review: Beautiful little rolls. They don't seem too complicated to
make, and they would be perfect as an alternative to tea sandwiches
for a party.

S(Internet address):
   https://www.howsweeteats.com/2011/04/soft-pretzel-rolls/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 162 Calories; 4g Fat (20.1%
calories from fat); 4g Protein; 28g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
21mg Cholesterol; 1185mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 1125