Olive Oil Crackers with Sea Salt and Herbs

Thu, 30 Jan 2020 20:19:17 -0800
v120.n005.4
* Exported from MasterCook *

                Crackers with Sea Salt and Herbs, Olive Oil

Recipe By     :Adapted by Chris Scheuer from Ottolenghi: The Cookbook
Categories    : Bread-Bakers Mailing List       Crackers/Crisps/Pretzels
                 Posted                          Stand Mixer

   2               cups  all-purpose flour -- plus extra for dusting
   1           teaspoon  baking powder
      1/2           cup  water
   2 1/2    tablespoons  extra virgin olive oil -- plus extra for brushing
      1/2      teaspoon  fine sea salt
   1           teaspoon  paprika
      1/4      teaspoon  black pepper
                         flaky salt -- I use Maldon
                         fresh herbs dried herbs -- poppy seeds, Note

Olive Crackers with Sea Salt and Herbs - a shatteringly crisp, super
delicious cracker recipe from one of London's most famous cafes.

Note: sesame seeds, dried spices, za'atar are some of the endless
possibilities for toppings

Total: 2:59

In a large bowl, or the bowl of a Kitchen Aid mix the flour baking
powder, water, olive oil, salt and pepper. With the dough hook, mix
(or mix by hand) the dough for 5 to 6 minutes until it comes together
in a ball.

Wrap in plastic wrap and leave it to rest for an hour at room temperature.

Line 2-3 trays with baking parchment. Preheat the oven to 425F.

Make walnut sized balls and roll them out as thinly as you can into
long, oval shapes. Place the rolled out crackers on a baking sheet
lined with parchment paper, brush generously with olive oil and
sprinkle with a bit of flaky sea salt (I love Maldon), fresh herbs,
dried herbs, poppy seeds, sesame seeds, za'atar, etc.

Bake for 5 to 6 minutes, or until the crackers are golden brown in
color. Allow to cool, then store in an airtight container.

Note: It's important to keep them tightly sealed but if it's very
humid and the crackers get a bit stale tasting, just pop them back in
the oven for about 10 minutes at 225F and they'll be good as new!

Review: I made these today and put everything topping on them Very
easy and tasty. I patted the dough down into a rectangle and cut
strips length wise and then sideways to have 20 rectangles then
pressed them in my tortilla press Easy peezy that way.

Question: These sound delicious and quite simple the only labor
intensive part is rolling out the dough - how many would you say,
walnut size pieces of dough? I will definitely try these and take a
look at this book on amazon if it's posted. Thanks for sharing!
Response: How many crackers this recipe makes - ALOT! I didn't count
but I would guess at least twenty fist-sized crackers. You can also
make some of the crackers and keep the dough in the fridge for a few
days and prepare the rest another day! I think you'll really love these!

Review: Super simple to make. This is so timely with the holiday
season coming soon.

S(Internet address):
   https://thecafesucrefarine.com/olive-oil-crackers-with-sea-salt-and-herbs/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 61 Calories; 2g Fat (27.2%
calories from fat); 1g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary
Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 72mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2020 - 0130