Rustic Rye Bread

Thu, 30 Jan 2020 20:21:19 -0800
v120.n005.5
* Exported from MasterCook *

                             Bread, Rustic Rye

Recipe By     :Holly Wade
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Low Fat                         Posted

   2 1/4            tsp  active dry yeast -- (1/4 oz)
   1 3/4           cups  warm water -- (110 to 115F), divided
      1/4           cup  packed brown sugar
      1/4           cup  light molasses
   3        tablespoons  caraway seeds
   2        tablespoons  canola oil
   1         tablespoon  salt
   1 3/4           cups  rye flour
      3/4           cup  whole wheat flour
   2 1/2           cups  all-purpose flour -- (to 3C)

This gorgeous rye bread has just a touch of sweetness and the perfect
amount of caraway seeds. With a crusty top and firm texture, it holds
up well to sandwiches, but a pat of butter will do the job, too.

Prep: 25 min. + rising
Bake: 30 min. + cooling
Makes: 2 loaves (12 slices each)

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water. Stir in brown
sugar, molasses, caraway seeds, oil, salt and remaining water. Add
rye flour, whole wheat flour and 1 cup all-purpose flour; beat on
medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour
to form a firm dough.

Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6
to 8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the
top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 1/2 hours.

Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in
half. Shape each into a round loaf; place on a baking sheet coated
with cooking spray. Cover with kitchen towels; let rise in a warm
place until almost doubled, about 1 1/2 hours. Preheat oven to 350.

Bake until golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from pan to wire
racks to cool.

Editor's Note: For caraway topping, brush loaves with an egg white
beaten lightly with water before baking; sprinkle with caraway seeds.

Cal 118, Fat 2g, Carb 24g, Sod 298mg, Fiber 2g, Pro 3g

Review: So - nice rye flavor,nice, crisp crust and soft interior
texture. The only thing bringing to four stars was that it's a bit
too sweet for our tastes. I hesitated about putting the full amount
of sweeteners in & wish I had followed my instincts. I would make
this again, but reduce the sweeteners. Now, I did modify this to make
it more of a whole-grain bread. I increased the whole wheat flour to
2 1/4 cups, added a 1/4 cup of vital wheat gluten, and used about 3/4
cup of AP flour to bring it to the right consistency. I add these
notes in case there are others, like me, who like to minimize the use
of white flour. It came out fantastic! Rose nicely and looks very
pretty.To answer the question about it not being two full loaves - if
you are using standard loaf pans, that is correct. A standard loaf of
bread usually uses 3 cups of flour; the total flour in this is about
5. I put mine in bannetons & baked them on a stone, and it made two
nice-sized but smaller than average loaves.

Review: This bread is easy and tasty. it came out perfect and is
worth the effort.

Review: Outstanding bread, easy to make, and always gone in a flash!

Review: This bread is excellent! I've made it in a bread machine on
dough cycle. I've made it into a loaf in an extra large loaf pan.
I've also used full flavored molasses when I didn't have light
molasses. Everyone that's tasted it has loved it.

Review: Made this recipe yesterday for thr first time. I love it!! It
did take 1 1/2 hours for the first rise. I didn't have light molasses
so I used honey. The bread is moist, texture is excellent. This will
be my rye bread recipe from now on.

Review: My husband says this is the best bread recipe we have ever
made and trust me we have baked a great number of breads. We made
this exactly as recipe states.

Review: I just made this recipe and next time will leave out the
caraway seeds. I only used 2 T. this time but don't think it needs
any (and besides my husband doesn't like them). I mixed everything by
hand in the large mixing bowl and then put the dough hook on when I
added the remaining flour (which was only 1/2 cup). I did NOT knead
by hand but let the dough hook work for about two minutes then just
left the dough covered in the bowl and put into the microwave with a
pitcher of very hot water (to proof). Baked on parchment paper for 35
minutes and it turned out great! Thanks for sharing your recipe!

Source:
   "Originally published as Rye Bread in Healthy Cooking February/March 2010"
S(Internet address):
   https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/rustic-rye-bread/
Yield:
   "2 loaves"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 118 Calories; 2g Fat (12.0%
calories from fat); 3g Protein; 24g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
0mg Cholesterol; 270mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 0611