Italian Easter Bread 1

Sun, 08 Mar 2020 23:23:19 -0700
v120.n011.2
* Exported from MasterCook *

                          Bread, Italian Easter 1

Recipe By     :
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Holidays                        Posted

                         Step 1 (Starter)
   3        tablespoons  cool water -- plus
   1           teaspoon  cool water
      1/4      teaspoon  sugar
   1 1/2      teaspoons  active dry yeast
   7        tablespoons  unbleached all-purpose flour
                         Step 2
      2/3           cup  unbleached all-purpose flour
   4              large  egg yolks
   3        tablespoons  cool water
   2          teaspoons  sugar
                         Step 3
   6        tablespoons  unsalted butter -- room temperature (very
soft), cut into 6 pieces, (3/4 stick)
   5        tablespoons  sugar
   2              large  egg yolks
   2        tablespoons  lukewarm whole milk
   1         tablespoon  honey
   2 1/4           cups  unbleached all-purpose flour
                         Step 4
      1/2           cup  cool water
   1 1/2      teaspoons  active dry yeast
   2               cups  unbleached all-purpose flour
   1                cup  unsalted butter -- room temperature (very
soft), cut into 12 pieces, (2 sticks)
   6        tablespoons  sugar
   4              large  egg yolks
   3        tablespoons  lukewarm whole milk
   2          teaspoons  vanilla extract
   1 1/2      teaspoons  fine sea salt
   1 1/2           cups  chopped candied orange peel* -- (about 10 oz)
                         Step 5
      1/2           cup  all-purpose flour -- (about)
   2                     dove-shaped paper baking molds -- (size C3)
                         Step 6 (Glaze and baking)
   1                cup  sugar
      1/2           cup  whole unblanched almonds
   3              large  egg whites
      1/4      teaspoon  almond extract
   1 1/3           cups  sliced almonds
                         Powdered sugar

These traditional holiday loaves are made in several easy steps over
about 18 hours. We recommend doing steps one through four on the
first day, since step four includes an eight- to ten-hour rising
that, ideally, could be done overnight. Then finish the next day. You
can use two buttered and floured nine-inch-diameter springform pans
instead of the dove-shaped paper molds.

For step 1 (Making starter):

Combine water and sugar in bowl of heavy-duty mixer. Stir in yeast.
Let stand until yeast dissolves, about 10 minutes. Using rubber
spatula, mix in flour (dough will be firm). Cover bowl with plastic
wrap. Let starter rise until puffy, about 45 minutes. (Initially, the
starter, or biga is firm and compact, but it softens and becomes
puffy and spongy after rising.)

For step 2:

Attach dough hook to mixer. Add all ingredients in step 2 to starter.
Beat until blended, scraping down sides of bowl often, about 5
minutes (dough will be soft and thick). Scrape dough off hook; remove
hook. Cover bowl with plastic. Let dough rise at room temperature
until puffy and bubbly on top, about 1 hour. The dough will look
thick, shiny, and slightly puffed.

For step 3:

Reattach clean dough hook. Add first 5 ingredients in step 3 to
dough; beat until blended. Add flour. Beat at low speed until smooth,
scraping down bowl and hook often, about 5 minutes (dough will be
firm and compact). Scrape dough off hook; remove hook. Cover bowl
with plastic; let dough rise at room temperature until lighter in
texture and slightly puffed, about 3 1/2 hours. The dough will double
in volume and become lighter in texture but less glossy.

For step 4:

Reattach clean dough hook. Mix water and yeast in small cup. Let
stand until yeast dissolves, about 10 minutes; add to dough. Add 1
1/3 cups flour, half of butter, sugar, and 2 yolks; beat until dough
is smooth, about 3 minutes. Scrape down dough hook and sides of bowl.
Add remaining 2 yolks, milk, vanilla extract, and salt. Beat at low
speed until blended, about 3 minutes. Scrape down hook. Add remaining
2/3 cup flour, remaining butter, and orange peel. Beat dough until
well blended, about 5 minutes. Scrape dough into very large (at least
4-quart) buttered bowl. Cover with plastic. Let dough rise at room
temperature until doubled and indentation remains when 2 fingers are
pressed about 1/4 inch into dough, 8 to 10 hours.

For step 5:

Sprinkle 1/2 cup flour onto work surface. Scrape dough out onto
floured work surface (dough will be soft and sticky). Gently toss
dough in flour until easy to handle. Brush away excess flour. Divide
dough into 3 equal pieces. Divide 1 piece in half; shape each half
into 10-inch-long log. Arrange 1 log crosswise in each paper baking
mold, curving ends to fit. Roll each remaining dough piece into
11-inch-long log, slightly tapered at ends. Place 1 log across dough
in each mold. (If using 2 springform pans, divide dough in half;
place half in each prepared pan). Cover molds (or pans) with plastic.
Let stand at room temperature until dough rises to top of each mold
and indentation remains when 2 fingers are pressed about 1/4 inch
into dough, about 3 1/4 hours.

For step 6 (Glaze and baking):

Position rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 375F. Finely
grind sugar and whole almonds in processor. Add egg whites and almond
extract; blend 10 seconds. Peel plastic off dough in molds. Spoon
half of almond glaze over top of each. Sprinkle each with sliced
almonds. Sift powdered sugar over. Slide rimless baking sheet under
molds; slide molds directly onto oven rack.

Bake breads until brown on top and slender wooden skewer inserted
into center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Cool breads completely
on rack. (Can be made ahead. Wrap; let stand at room temperature up
to 2 days or freeze up to 1 week.)

Candied orange peel can be found in some specialty foods stores.
Dove-shaped paper baking molds can be found at Sur La Table
(800-243-0852) and some other cookware stores, or you can order the
molds, along with fine-quality candied orange peel, from Emporio
Rulli (888-887-8554).

Cal 328, Fat 16g, Carb 42g, Sod 148mg, Fiber 3g, Pro 6g

Review: My family liked this bread a lot. Because I didn't read the
recipe all the way through before I started(!) I messed up the 8 to
10 hour and final 3 1/4 rising time. I ended up rising it about 15
hours, then about 8 hours. It turned out beautifully, didn't hurt it
a bit. The crumb is lovely, and the flavour complex. I used dried
cranberries, instead of raisins or candied peel. I took the advice of
previous reviews,and used orange ,almond and vanilla extracts, and
would use even a bit more next time. Because of how many steps are
involved, I'm not sure I will make it all the time, but will for a
special occasion.

Review: This bread is delicious. The first few doughs were stiff and
scary looking. I made two braided loaves and only needed about 1/2
the glaze. Used golden raisins soaked in grand marnier I started in
the morning and around midnight after the last rise, I formed the
loaves and put them in the refrigerator. Took them out, let them rise
for 3 hours and had them for breakfast.

Review: This is called Colomba Pasquale/Colomba di Pasqua in Italian.
We are an Italian family, and we think this tastes absoluty
authentic! It is SO good. Although, I did substitute, I used golden
raisins and zest from 1 small tangerine in place of candied orange
peel. But the dough is so amazing! I found my dove molds at Golda's
Kitchen online. Our family in Italy has not even seen the molds for
the doves they always go buy the finished product at the markets
during the holidays (Easter or Christman- the panettone).

Review: One of the very best breads I have ever made! Unbelievably
soft and silky crumb, beautiful balance of sweetness from the top and
buttery goodness from the bread itself. I wish I had read the reviews
before making it, as I would have experimented with the extracts
(orange flower water might be good, too). Like others, I used
macerated raisins instead of orange peel. Baked in a well-buttered
tube pan (I halved the recipe, and it made an angel food cake-sized
loaf). I also added coconut to the glaze ingredients and used plenty
of powdered sugar, creating a real crust on top. Baked for 35
minutes. Suitable for relatively novice bakers, IMO -- just follow
the directions and be patient with the many steps. I am already
planning my next loaf!

Review: Great recipe, yes very time consuming I start the evening
before up to step 4 and do the rest the next day. I found my paper
dove molds at goldaskitchen.com.

Review: Yummy . . . it brought me back to when I was a little girl
and my family celebrated Easter with my Italian great-grandmother.
Like one of the other reviewers, I also added the lemon and almond
extract in addition to the vanilla extract and included golden raisins.

Review: This is an exquisite delight! The bread is fabulously
excellent the first day and even better the next. My graddaughter
says it is "almondy goodness"! My Italian beloved says it is the best
he has ever eaten. I used the zest of one navel orange and 1 1/2 cups
of golden raisin macerated in Grand Marnier in place of the candied
orange peel and added 1 teaspoon each of pure lemon and almond
extract in addition to the 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract. I did not
have a spring form pan so I used a 9 inch cake pan prepared with
butter and lined with parchment paper and baked it a bit longer
keeping the temperature at 375 degrees for one half hour and then
lowering the temperature to 350 degrees till it was golden brown. I
believe it will become an Easter tradition by popular demand for
years to come. Do try it. It is so simple and the rewards are great!

Review: This recipe is wonderful. A "labor" of love, but really, very
simple to make. A new tradition for my family going forward. I sub'd
choc chips for the orange peel and added almond and orange extract as
did some other reviewers, though I am sure the original recipe is
still delicious. What you get is a buttery, not too sweet, flavor
that is unlike many homemade or commercial desserts. The house
smelled wonderful when baking. Can't wait for next Easter to make it
again. Thanks Gary Rulli for bringing it to us!

Review: Excellent! A big hit at our big Easter dinner. I'm not an
experienced baker, but the recipe was easy to follow and straight
forward. Simple, but definitely time consuming- I worked on it on and
off all day Saturday, woke up super early Sunday morning for step 5,
and three hours later for step 6. I didn't have the dove molds or 9"
springform pans, so I instead used two tube pans. I split the dough
in half, made a roll of each, and circled each in the pan. It worked
great. Also I didn't have the candied organge- but managed to make
some by washing, drying in the oven and dicing up some marmalade.
That still didn't make enough so I had to also add in other diced
candied fruit. I think next time I'll try what another reviewer
suggests which was to add almond and lemon extract to the dough in
addition to the vanilla for extra punch. But as it is it's awesome,
it got compliments all day long from everyone who tried it.

Review: fabulous recipe! could not be easier to follow. I did stretch
some of the raising time, due to daily family schedule, and it worked
fine. Also, because I have 3 small children and none of them love
'canditi' (candied fruit peel)or raisin, I added about 1/2 cup
mini-chocolate chips to the batter, and a tablespoon or two to the
final glaze. Fantastic! Growing up in Italy in the '70s and '80s, I
got used mostly to the commercial Colomba and maybe, once in a while,
to the one the local bakery would make. This one tasted sooo much
better! Great recipe!!!

Review: This recipe looks like it would be difficult but it is simple
and is the closest recipe to my grandmothers easter bread I have
found. I usually use dried diced fruit instead of orange peel but it
is great either way. The hardest thing about this recipe is the
waiting until it's done and getting a second piece before it is gone.

Review: I've never rated an Epicurious recipe before, but this one is
truly exceptional...time consuming, but great fun--and the directions
are fantastic! It will definitely be an Easter tradition in our home.
I made three separate batches and baked them in 9 inch round paper
molds (couldn't find doves, even at Sur La Table, where I bought the
round ones). Three of our Easter guests were visiting from Italy, and
they absolutely RAVED about the bread. They said they'd never gone to
the trouble to make colomba pasquale at home, and joked about having
to fly all the way to America to find such an incredible recipe! The
only changes I've noted are that the final rise (in the paper molds)
took longer than indicated...closer to five hours or so...and the
oven temp was a little high. Next time I will do 375 or 400 for the
first 10 minutes to kick-start a nice oven spring and then turn the
oven down 25 degrees or so for the remainder of the time...and watch
it closely. Do try it! You'll LOVE it!

S(Internet address):
   https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/italian-easter-bread-106404
Yield:
   "2 loaves"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 206 Calories; 10g Fat (42.8%
calories from fat); 4g Protein; 26g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
59mg Cholesterol; 73mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 2 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2020 - 0308