English Muffin Bread

Sat, 11 Apr 2020 20:21:18 -0700
v120.n015.5
* Exported from MasterCook *

                           Bread, English Muffin

Recipe By     :Jane Zielinski
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Low Fat                         Posted
                 Stand Mixer

   5               cups  all-purpose flour -- divided
   4 1/2            tsp  active dry yeast -- (1/4 oz each)
   1         tablespoon  sugar
   2          teaspoons  salt
      1/4      teaspoon  baking soda
   2               cups  whole milk -- warm,  (120 to 130F)
      1/2           cup  warm water -- (120 to 130F)
                         Cornmeal

Many years ago, a good friend gave me her mother's recipe for this
delightful bread, and I've made it ever since. It's perfect for a
hearty breakfast, especially when smothered with you favorite jam.

Prep: 15 min. + rising
Bake: 35 min.
Makes: 2 loaves

In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, yeast, sugar, salt and baking
soda. Add warm milk and water; beat on low speed for 30 seconds,
scraping bowl occasionally. Beat on high for 3 minutes.

Stir in remaining flour (batter will be stiff). Do not knead. Grease
two 8x4" loaf pans. Sprinkle pans with cornmeal. Spoon batter into
the pans and sprinkle cornmeal on top. Cover and let rise in a warm
place until doubled, about 45 minutes.

Bake at 375F for 35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans
immediately and cool on wire racks. Slice and toast.

If Cooking for Two: Freeze one loaf to enjoy weeks later.

Cal 111, Fat 1g, Carb 22g, Sod 219mg, Fiber 1g, Pro 4g

Review: I am not a big fan of white breads, but this was so easy,
quick and delicious for breakfast that I will definitely make it again!

Review: So good, they were gone in two days!

Review: I have this bread in the oven. It seemed to me that two 8 x 4
pans were too small, thinking I could have used three 8 x 4 pans.
Anyway, I turned on the fireplace; on a bench covered with a clean
sheet, I placed the cotton tea towel covered bread, then covered over
one more layer with the sheet. Timer set for 45 minutes, I was very
surprised at the hugely risen bread dough. What a mess!! End result
came with a good taste, texture seemed good, although this after I
cut off all the overflow. I would suggest 3 - 8 x 4 pans. An
interesting, fun recipe, while confined at home. Had I not run into
these issues, I'd rate a 5 star.

Review: This is the best . My family loves it.

Review: I finally figured out why it was turning out wrong. My pan
9x5. Still tasted delicious, but didn't get very high. I'm buying new
8x4 pans and trying again. I always spray my hands with the spray Pam
to make getting it into the pan a little easier, then I just eyeball
and divide it into two balls and place in the pans. It's delicious
and I make it all the time in my Kitchen Aid mixer.

Review: My loaves are baking now. From the sight and smell I don't
doubt it will be tasty. I wanted to share a way to handle sticky
dough. If you use cooking spray on spoon, spatula or hands with
sticky recipes it helps tremendously.

Review: Guaranteed winner! Dough makes up fast and easily. Trickiest
part is dividing the sticky dough into equal portions and spreading
it in the loaf pans.

Review: Excellent recipe! I used my kitchenaid mixer and it did all
the work. This is our favorite bread!

Review: Have been using this recipe for nearly 40 years, & sharing it
for nearly 40 years! I have even mailed it from PA to Texas to
friends that could no longer make it themselves. Great recipe & very
easy to make!

Review: I have made this recipe many times and it has always been
GREAT! I gave tried twice now to make with almond flour and almond
milk. The first attempt was with artificial sweetener. Figured out
that the sugar is what activates the yeast. BIG FLOP! Today is the
second time and I'm not sure it's going to work this time either.
Used the sugar this time but it doesn't have the elasticity as with
regular flour. I'm also using flax seed meal in place of the
cornmeal. Any suggestions or words of advise? Trying to go low carb
and this isn't working! Thank you!

Review: This is FANTASTIC. I make this at least once a month if not more.

S(Internet address):
   https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/english-muffin-bread-loaf/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 112 Calories; 1g Fat (7.9%
calories from fat); 4g Protein; 22g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
3mg Cholesterol; 202mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 0 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2020 - 0411