Honey Bagels

Mon, 27 Apr 2020 23:26:43 -0700
v120.n018.1
* Exported from MasterCook *

                               Bagels, Honey

Recipe By     :Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Categories    : Bread-Bakers Mailing List       Hand Made
                 Low Fat                         Posted

   1         tablespoon  active dry yeast
   1 1/4           cups  warm water -- (110 to 115F)
   3        tablespoons  canola oil
   3        tablespoons  sugar
   3        tablespoons  honey -- plus
      1/4           cup  honey
   1           teaspoon  brown sugar
   1 1/2      teaspoons  salt
   1              large  egg -- room temperature
   4               cups  bread flour -- (to 5C)
   1         tablespoon  dried minced onion
   1         tablespoon  sesame seeds
   1         tablespoon  poppy seeds

Who has time to make from-scratch bagels? You do, with this easy
recipe! The chewy golden bagels offer a hint of honey and will win
over even the pickiest eaters.

Prep: 1 hour + standing
Bake: 20 min.

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the oil, sugar, 3
tablespoons honey, brown sugar, salt and egg; mix well. Stir in
enough flour to form a soft dough.

Turn onto a floured surface; knead until a smooth, firm dough forms,
8 to 10 minutes. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.

Punch dough down. Shape into 12 balls. Push thumb through centers to
form a 1 1/2" hole. Stretch and shape dough to form an even ring.
Place on a floured surface. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes;
flatten bagels slightly.

In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, bring 8 cups water and remaining
honey to a boil. Drop bagels, 1 at a time, into boiling water. Cook
bagels for 45 seconds; turn and cook 45 seconds longer. Remove bagels
with a slotted spoon; drain and sprinkle with minced onion, sesame
seeds and poppy seeds.

Place bagels 2" apart on baking sheets lined with parchment. Bake at
425F for 12 minutes. Turn and bake until golden brown, about 5 minutes longer.

Cal 265, Fat 5g, Carb 48g, Sod 303mg, Fiber 2g, Pro 7g

Review: This is the best bagel recipe I have tried. They came out
beautifully! The flavor and texture delightful. My husband, who
doesn't care for bagels, even commented on how good they were. I
topped them with sesame seeds but plan to try adding blueberries to
the mix next time around.

Review: Excellent recipe. Bagels were easy to make and came out with
great flavor, a nice chewy crust, and a soft tender interior.
Followed the recipe as written except that I did not use the topping,
I made some plain and used Trader Joe's everything bagel seasoning on
others. Thanks for sharing.

Review: Followed recipe as stated except before baking, I brushed
with egg wash and sprinkled with pre-soaked dried onions. It turned
out just the way we liked. Soft, chewy and very tasty. Will make this again.

Review: I made this using all purpose flour, rapid rise yeast and
without poppy seeds because that is what was in my house. They turned
out great - except for the fact that I didn't quite master the
shaping of the bagels until the last two or three so they looked a
bit odd. In the future I would reduce or even eliminate the onion
flakes as they had a very strong flavour and tended to overcook in the oven.

Review: I'm not sure where you see 1 1/2 hours of resting & rising
because this recipe calls for 20 minutes total (2 ten minute
segments) and way, I love this recipe and love even better that I
KNOW what is going into the bagels and they do not have
unidentifiable ingredients. Yes, you can use your bread machine to do
the mixing & kneeding and 1st proof for you. Mine has an alarm that
sounds after the 1st proof to let you know that it is time to remove
your dough.

Review: These are surprisingly easy to make, and my coworkers love them!

S(Internet address):
   https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/honey-bagels/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 263 Calories; 5g Fat (18.1%
calories from fat); 7g Protein; 48g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
18mg Cholesterol; 275mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2020 - 0427