Best Ever Breadsticks

Tue, 28 Apr 2020 16:13:52 -0700
v120.n018.2
* Exported from MasterCook *

                           Breadsticks, Best Ever

Recipe By     :Carol Wolfer
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Fatfree                         Hand Made
                 Posted                          Side Dish

   3               cups  all-purpose flour -- (to 3 1/4C)
   2 1/4            tsp  instant yeast -- (1/4 oz)
   1         tablespoon  sugar
   1           teaspoon  salt
      3/4           cup  whole milk
      1/4           cup  water -- plus
   1         tablespoon  water -- divided
   1         tablespoon  butter
   1              large  egg white
                         Coarse salt

Present these delicious breadsticks alongside an Italian favorite
like lasagna or spaghetti. They're an attractive and edible addition
to the table setting!

Prep: 20 min. + rising
Bake: 10 min. + cooling

Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, yeast, sugar and salt. In a small saucepan,
heat milk, 1/4 cup water and butter to 120-130F. Add to dry
ingredients; beat on medium speed just until moistened. Stir in
enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.

Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and
elastic, 6 to 8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to
grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.

Punch down dough. Pinch off golf ball-sized pieces. On a lightly
floured surface, shape each into a 6" rope. Place on greased baking
sheets 1" apart. Cover and let rise for 15 minutes.

Preheat oven to 400F. Beat egg white and remaining water; brush over
breadsticks. Sprinkle with coarse salt. Bake until golden, about 10
minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.

Cal 69, Fat 1g, Carb 13g, Sod 108mg, Fiber 1g, Pro 2g

Review: These were very straightforward to make. The recipe was easy
to follow and the breadsticks turned out delicious. Loved the
non-uniformed look of them, too!

Review: These were really good, but I did have to make a few changes.
I was out of milk and so used heavy whipping cream diluted with water
(half and half to make 3/4 c) and added garlic and increased the salt
to 1 Tbsp. Out of butter, I subbed for an equal amount of olive oil (
like I would for pizza dough) . Also rather than using instant yeast,
I used regular since I had a morning. Just before putting them in the
oven for lunch, I brushed with the egg white and sprinkled with
Italian herbs. They were very soft, fluffy and oh so good! We just
ate them with a side of from-scratch marinara for dipping, made two
days prior for mini pizzas. Perfect snack! I got 15 and they were
done in 12 minutes at 400F.

S(Internet address):
   https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/best-ever-breadsticks/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 70 Calories; 1g Fat (11.8%
calories from fat); 2g Protein; 13g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
2mg Cholesterol; 100mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 0 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2020 - 0428