Old-Fashioned Brown Bread

Tue, 28 Apr 2020 17:39:40 -0700
v120.n018.4
* Exported from MasterCook *

                         Bread, Old-Fashioned Brown

Recipe By     :Patricia Donnelly
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Low Fat                         Posted
                 Side Dish

   2 1/3           cups  boiling water
   1                cup  old-fashioned rolled oats
      1/2           cup  butter -- cubed
      1/3           cup  molasses
   5 1/2           cups  all-purpose flour -- (to 6 1/2C)
   5          teaspoons  active dry yeast
   2          teaspoons  salt

This chewy, old-fashioned bread boasts a slightly sweet flavor that
will transport you back to the old days.

Prep: 20 min. + rising
Bake: 35 min. + cooling

In a large bowl, pour boiling water over oats. Stir in butter and
molasses. Let stand until mixture cools to 120-130F, stirring occasionally.

In another bowl, combine 3 1/2 cups flour, yeast and salt. Beat in
oat mixture until blended. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.

Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6
to 8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the
top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in
half. Shape into loaves. Place in two greased 9x5" loaf pans. Cover
and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375F. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until
golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.

Cal 124, Fat 3g, Carb 21g, Fiber 1g, Sodd 170mg, Pro 3g

Review: One of my favorite breads. The molasses add just the right
amount of sweetness plus a beautiful color.

Review: This bread is incredibly moist with the perfect subtle sweetness. Love!

Review: This bread was very good with a subtle sweetness. However, I
feel like all the dough would have fit into a 2 quart round dish. And
I could have baked it all together.

Review: This bread was pretty good, but I would make a few changes in
the recipe. I would only use 2 cups water. It required about 7 1/2
cups of flour and then it was still very sticky. I would increase the
molasses to 1/2 cup. My bread wasn't nearly as dark as in the photo.
I would decrease yeast to 4 tsp. mine raised in 40 mins it was ready
to run over the top of the pan. I also made rolls instead of bread.
They were extremely light and fluffy. They went over very well with
my guests. Will definitely make again.

Review: This bread turns out perfect every time I make it. It is
amazing and I have made and recommended it several times to friends
and family. i add a scant 1/2 c cracked wheat to the oatmeal and
boiling water. It is so delicious! You cannot eat just one piece!

Review: Wonderful loaves. Slightly sweet, soft, lasted a while.I had
to add maybe another cup of flour for the kneading process during the
first rise and the shaping.It smelled wonderful while baking, cooled
well. I'm about to make it a second time, right now!

Review: I made homemade bread for the first time a couple weeks ago,
and this was the recipe I choose, it is wonderful, very easy to
follow the recipe, and this past week I changed up the recipe and cut
back on the amount of molasses, and used honey to make the 1/3 cup,
and added 1 cup of raisins. It turned out so good. I am going to bake
more this week, I just love this bread with Cheese Whiz on it.

Review: A friend brought this to work and I loved it. It was Firm and
chewy. I did do it in my Bread Machine and it worked out great. I
made the mistake of using bread flour. It made it not as chewy but it
was still great. I will make it with the right flour the next time. I
started with 2 1/2 cups of flour and divided everything else in half.
In with the flour I mixed 2 T. cracked wheat & sunflower seeds and 1
T. Sesame seeds. If you have a bread machine the you use you know
what the dough should feel like to the touch after the first mix. So
then add some flour or water depending on the day. I had to add a
little more flour a few T. at a time. My son loved it and I will be
making more. I think this will be I bread this winter with Lots of yummy soup.

Review: This was my first attempt to make real homemade bread; what a
wonderful experience. My children just loved it...it didn't last
long. Super easy; I followed directions as written and was
delightfully satisfied with the results. I plan to bake some again tomorrow.

S(Internet address):
   https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/old-fashioned-brown-bread/
Yield:
   "2 loaves"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 124 Calories; 3g Fat (23.8%
calories from fat); 3g Protein; 21g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
8mg Cholesterol; 165mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2020 - 0428