Almost-Famous Cheddar Biscuits

Fri, 10 Jul 2020 23:14:20 -0700
v120.n027.5
* Exported from MasterCook *

                      Biscuits, Almost-Famous Cheddar

Recipe By     :
Categories    : Biscuits/Scones                 Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Food Processor                  Posted

                         For the biscuits:
                         Cooking spray
   1 3/4           cups  all-purpose flour
   1         tablespoon  baking powder -- plus
   2          teaspoons  baking powder
   2 1/2      teaspoons  sugar
      1/4      teaspoon  salt
   3        tablespoons  vegetable shortening -- at room temperature
   4        tablespoons  cold unsalted butter -- cut into 1/2" pieces
   6             ounces  grated yellow cheddar cheese -- (about 1 1/4C)
      3/4           cup  whole milk
                         For the garlic butter:
   3        tablespoons  unsalted butter
   1              clove  garlic -- smashed
   1           teaspoon  chopped fresh parsley

Just like the buttery biscuits you order at your favorite lobster
shack, these easy-to-make baked goods are laced with yellow cheddar
cheese and topped with garlicky butter.

Prep: 15 min
Cook: 20 min
Total: 35 min

Position a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 425F.
Lightly mist a large baking sheet with cooking spray.

Pulse the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a food processor.
Add the shortening and pulse until combined. Add the butter; pulse 4
or 5 times, or until the butter is in pea-size pieces. Add the cheese
and pulse 2 or 3 times. Pour in the milk and pulse just until the
mixture is moistened and forms a shaggy dough. Turn out onto a clean
surface and gently knead until the dough comes together. Do not
overwork the dough or the biscuits will be tough.

Drop the dough onto the baking sheet in scant 1/4C portions, 2"
apart, and bake until golden, 15 to 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, make the garlic butter: Melt the butter with the garlic in
a small saucepan over medium heat; cook for 1 minute. Remove from the
heat and stir in the parsley. Brush the biscuits with the garlic
butter and serve warm.

Review: Delicious! Made this recipe several times now, it's hard not
to eat too many each and every time. Be sure to make the garlic
butter and pour it all over them! Mmmmm.

Review: I made them for the first time last night for dinner. After
reading the reviews and before making them I decided to use less
baking powder. They are SOOOO good and better, I think, than the
originals from Red Lobster. I scooped the dough right out of the food
processor so think no kneading added to their light and airy
consistency. We only put a few for each of us on the table as think
it would have been too easy to eat lots more.

Review: I don't have neither a mixer or processer, using clean washed
hands, sift the dry ingredients first, rub butter into dry mix add
chedder then liquid fold gently little as possible. Leaving dough
sticky, slightly roll into 2 1/2 tbsp balls. Hope this helps.

Review: These biscuits taste so good. Made them many times for
company and they are always a hit.

Source:
   "Food Network Magazine"
S(Internet address):
   https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/almost-famous-cheddar-biscuits-recipe-1973038
Yield:
   "12 to 14"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 226 Calories; 15g Fat (60.8%
calories from fat); 6g Protein; 16g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary
Fiber; 35mg Cholesterol; 344mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch);
1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 2 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 1013