Multigrain Raisin Sourdough Bread

Fri, 10 Jul 2020 23:18:25 -0700
v120.n027.6
* Exported from MasterCook *

                     Bread, Multigrain Raisin Sourdough

Recipe By     :
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Posted

   113                g  ripe sourdough starter -- (fed) (1/2C or 4 oz)
   340                g  lukewarm water -- (1 1/2C or 12 oz)
   43                 g  honey -- (2 Tbsp or 1 1/2 oz)
   28                 g  soft unsalted butter -- (2 Tbsp or 1 oz)
   188                g  Super 10 Blend -- (1 3/4C or 6 5/8 oz) Note
   361                g  Unbleached Bread Flour -- (3C or 12 3/4 oz)
   2          teaspoons  salt
   2          teaspoons  instant yeast
   223                g  raisins -- (1 1/2C or 7 7/8 oz)

This rustic-style loaf features a gentle balance of tanginess from
the sourdough, plus sweetness from the raisins. We like it for toast
in particular, but slices of it also make super-tasty grilled cheese
sandwiches, with the sweet raisins complementing just about any
version of melted cheese there is.

PREP: 25 mins.
BAKE: 40 mins. to 45 mins.
TOTAL: 3:40
YIELD: 1 loaf

Mix and knead together all the ingredients except the raisins - by
hand, mixer, or bread machine - to make a smooth dough. Add the
raisins and knead until evenly incorporated.

Keeping the dough in the mixing bowl or bread machine bucket, allow
it to rise, covered, until it's doubled in size, about 90 minutes.

Transfer the dough to a lightly greased surface, gently deflate it,
and form it into a smooth 13" log.

Place the log into the bottom of a lightly greased long covered
baker, cover the baker with its lid, and let the dough rise for 45 to
60 minutes, until puffy but not quite doubled in size.

Just before putting the loaf into the oven, slash the top several times.

Place the covered baker into a cold oven and set the oven temperature
to 425F. Bake the bread for 40 minutes, starting the timer when the
bread goes into the oven.

Remove the cover of the baker and bake for about 5 minutes longer,
until the bread is golden brown and its internal temperature measures
190F on a digital thermometer.

Remove the bread from the pan, and allow it to cool on a rack.

Store bread at room temperature for up to three days, or freeze for
longer storage.

TIPS: Want to substitute whole wheat flour for the Super 10 Blend?
Use 1 1/2 cups (170g) King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour + 1/4 cup
(57g) mixed seeds/flaked grains of your choice (e.g., barley flakes,
sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, red wheat flakes, etc.) in place of
the Super 10 Blend called for.

If your oven is slow to preheat, you may find it necessary to bake
the bread for an additional 5 to 10 minutes, for a total of 45 to 50 minutes.

If you don't have a long covered stoneware baker, form the dough into
a round (boule) and bake it in a covered Dutch oven or bread baking
crock following the same recipe instructions.

Review: I baked this as written (including the Super 10 flour),
except that I put it into two 8x4.5" Lodge cast iron bread loaf pans
for the second rise. I followed the suggestions of other reviewers to
put the dough onto a greased parchment paper sling and to bake for 35
minutes at 400 degrees with convection and a pan of water in the
oven. I put the loaves into the oven without pre-heating the pans.
The rising times in the recipe were spot-on for me. The loaves turned
out wonderfully....crispy brown on top and moist open crumb inside.
Thank you KA for all the fabulous recipes and thanks you to all the
reviewers with great suggestions!

Review: I have made this twice now, first with raisins, then
craisins. Both times I subbed in sorghum flour for the Super 10, and
it was so delightful! I baked in my Corningware casserole with my
dutch oven lid (and parchment paper liner) for the first 30 minutes
or so, then remove the lid for the rest of the time. Thanks for the recipe!

Review: First, I have the long baker. I am happy to have another
recipe that is suitable. I am also happy to have a use for "unfed"
starter. I did substitute white whole wheat plus a quarter-cup of
crumbs from the bottom of a bag of Kashi shredded wheat cereal. (I
mix those shreds into oatmeal, too.) The bread looked just like the
pictures. It was delicious and didn't need extra butter or jam. Tips:
I used a parchment sling inside the bottom of the baker to make it
easy to lift out without compressing the hot bread. I thought the
instruction to knead to a smooth dough was vague. I used the dough
hook to mix until it all came together into a smooth, thick dough
(maybe a minute or so.) Next, I mixed in the raisins. It rose
beautifully without 5 to 10 minutes of kneading. Thanks, KAF, for
another winning recipe.

Review: Agree with other reviewers, delicious bread. Looks like no
one was willing to buy yet another bread baking pan. I find it a
little annoying that so many kaf recipes call for yet another variety
of baking pan. I'd be more willing to indulge if the shipping rates
were lower. I appreciate the alternatives provided on the website. I
used a pullman pan and it worked fine, though the crumb was probably
a bit denser.

Review: I followed the recommended substitution for whole wheat flour
and grain blend, used KAF's harvest grains blend. I really enjoyed
the texture that way, you get a little seedy crunch with the raisin.
Made a loaf for dinner and my family devoured it. I will make it
again becaus my kids all love it.

Review: This bread turned out great and is so delicious. I like the
generous amount of raisins and after reading reviews I refrained from
adding cinnamon. The final result has such a wonderful flavor that
this addition isn't needed. I baked in batard that I recently
purchased. This is much easier to make and much better than a
traditional cinnamon-raisin bread. Highly recommend and this is now
my favorite. Envisioning toasted with butter, peanut butter or a nice cheese.

Review: Made this on Friday. My husband is the raisin bread fanatic
but "hates" sourdough. He loved this bread. I tell him I use wild
yeast. I didn't have the 10 grain so I used 75% whole wheat flour/25%
whole spelt flour in its place. I used 2 - 8" loaf pans so the slices
would go into the toaster easily. 1 loaf is half gone, the other is
in the freezer. I'll definitely make this again

Review: Ordered the Glazed long Emilie Henry to bake this and it is
really so great now. Toaster sized slices, rises beautifully and so
easy to serve and cut. If I use this wonderful baker just for this,
it would be worth it! Did the cold oven method and perfect! Tried it
as a boule, in bread pans as suggested and this is my favorite. And
my go to recipe for raisin bread. 2T honey for a 13" loaf isn't much
at all. We never miss the sugar & cinnamon mix with the messy rolling
and it saves us calories in the end. Our favorite!

Review: This may be one of my new favorites. I thought about adding
cinnamon but wanted to try the recipe as written first and now don't
think it needs it. Marvelous flavor, plenty of raisins (I used
golden), great interior texture, wonderful crisp crust (I did spritz
the top with water right before putting the lid on and putting it in
the oven, but crisp all around). It got a lovely oven-rise. I'll be
making this again!

Review: Excellent bread, easy to work with dough. I made the dough in
my breadmaker and baked it in my crock. It rose quite high; I
couldn't put the lid on so I covered it lightly with aluminum foil. I
used cranberries and added some of KAF Winter Spice. I also added a
TBL or so of Vital Wheat Gluten. The crust was crispy and the crumb
soft and delicious. A huge hit with the family. Definitely will make
this one again.

Review: This really is marvelous bread. Made as directed and baked in
a long covered baker. Very high-rising, beautiful loaf.

Review: Made this bread this past weekend, didn't have a long covered
baker, so I thought I would use my dutch oven to bake it. The full
recipe totally filled up the dutch oven. Made it again at half recipe
and it fit my dutch oven nicely. Loved the flavor and will make again.

S(Internet address):
   https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/multigrain-raisin-sourdough-recipe

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 141 Calories; 1g Fat (9.0%
calories from fat); 4g Protein; 29g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber;
3mg Cholesterol; 190mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 1/2 Fruit; 0 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 0505