Boston Brown Bread 1

Fri, 04 Sep 2020 15:51:04 -0700
v120.n033.8
* Exported from MasterCook *

                           Bread, Boston Brown 1

Recipe By     :Hank Shaw
Serving Size  : 4     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Fatfree                         Fruit
                 Hand Made                       Posted

                         Butter for greasing loaf pans -- or coffee cans
      1/2           cup  all-purpose flour -- heaping
      1/2           cup  rye flour -- heaping
      1/2           cup  finely ground cornmeal -- heaping (Note)
      1/2      teaspoon  baking powder
      1/2      teaspoon  baking soda
      1/2      teaspoon  salt
      1/2      teaspoon  allspice
      1/2           cup  molasses -- any kind
   1                cup  buttermilk
   1           teaspoon  vanilla extract -- optional
      1/2           cup  raisins -- optional

Note: the cornmeal must be finely ground.

Classic Boston brown bread studded with raisins and steamed in a coffee can.

Traditionally brown bread is made in an old coffee can, but it can be
made in any small loaf pan. Brown bread is dense, so you don't need
too much to get filled up. I recommend making only one batch at a
time, I have found it works better than doubling up a batch.

Do your best to find the rye flour. It adds a lot to the flavor of
the finished bread.

One metal 6" tall by 4" diameter coffee can, or a 4x8" loaf pan

Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 2:15

Prepare for either stovetop or oven methods: You can either make the
bread on the stovetop with a coffee can, or you can make it in the
oven with a coffee can or loaf pan.

Stovetop: If you are using the stovetop method, set the steamer rack
inside a tall stockpot and fill the pot with enough water to come 1/3
of the way up the sides of your coffee can. Turn the burner on to
medium as you work.

Oven: If you are using the oven method, preheat the oven to 325F and
bring a large pot of water to a boil.

Grease pan: Grease a coffee can or small loaf pan with butter.

Mix dry ingredients:  In a large bowl, whisk together the all-purpose
flour, rye flour, corn meal, baking powder and soda, salt and
allspice. Add the raisins if using.

Mix wet ingredients, combine with dry: In another bowl, mix together
the buttermilk and vanilla extract if using. Whisk in the molasses.

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir well with a spoon.

Pour batter into can or pan, cover with foil: Pour the batter into
the coffee can or loaf pan taking care that the batter not reach
higher than 2/3 up the sides of the container.

Cover the loaf pan or coffee can tightly with foil.

Prepare steam environment on stovetop or oven:

Stovetop: If you are using the stovetop method, set the can in the
pot on the steamer rack. Make sure there is enough water in the pot
to come up 1/3 of the way up the sides of your coffee can or loaf
pan. Cover the pot and turn the heat to high.

Oven: If you are using the oven method, find a high-sided roasting
pan that can hold the coffee can or loaf pan. Pour the boiling water
into the roasting pan until it reaches one third up the side of the
coffee can or loaf pan. Put the roasting pan into the 325F oven.

Steam the bread: Steam the bread on the stovetop or in the oven for
at least 2 hours and 15 minutes.

Check to see if the bread is done by inserting a toothpick into it.
If the toothpick comes out clean, you're ready. If not, re-cover the
pan and cook for up to another 45 minutes.

Allow bread to cool: Remove from the stovetop or oven and let cool
for 10 minutes before putting on a rack. Let the bread cool for 1
hour before turning out of the container.

Slice and eat plain, or toast in a little butter in a frying pan.

Review: It's interesting how families develop their own traditions.
In all my years of eating (and making) brown bread I had never heard
of frying it, as Hank describes.

Review: I make Baked Beans regularly, in an old traditional bean pot.
325f about 5hrs. I look forward to steaming (baking) this bread at
the same time. If I start the bread early enough, it will be cooled &
set in time.

My oven has room for a deep roasting pan for my old pudding mold (why
not use it, right?) but I'm unclear on whether to cover the roaster,
since you cover the stove pot. The instructions don't say. My pudding
mold seals tightly, but my oven doesn't seal well, so the "water
bath" might just boil off.

Review: Does anyone know how to adapt this for the instant pot? Seems
like a great candidate.

Review: Boston Brown Bread has been a family staple at Christmas for
years in my family. My dad came across a recipe years ago in The New
England Yankee Cookbook. The only way we ever had it was with cream
cheese or butter. I've never heard of it toasted in a pan with butter
topped with maple syrup. Sounds heavenly!

Review: I cannot wait to try this recipe . When I moved from Vermont
I couldn't find it in the stores in the south. We ate this as a
special treat as kids and man o man do I like it. My mom sliced it,
spread butter on it wrapped it up in foil a warmed it in the oven.
The butter would soften the bread. My brothers and I would scrap over
that bread.

S(Internet address):
   https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/boston_brown_bread/
Yield:
   "4 to 6"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 357 Calories; 1g Fat (3.3%
calories from fat); 7g Protein; 81g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber;
2mg Cholesterol; 568mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1
Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 0 Fat; 2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2020 - 0904