Garden Vegetable Cornbread

Tue, 22 Sep 2020 16:59:47 -0700
v120.n036.4
* Exported from MasterCook *

                        Cornbread, Garden Vegetable

Recipe By     :Kim Moyes
Serving Size  : 9     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Low Fat                         Posted

   1                cup  yellow cornmeal
      3/4           cup  whole wheat flour
   2 1/2      teaspoons  baking powder
   2          teaspoons  minced fresh chives
      3/4      teaspoon  salt
   2              large  eggs -- room temperature
   1                cup  2% milk
   2        tablespoons  honey
      3/4           cup  shredded carrots -- (about 1 1/2 carrots)
      1/4           cup  finely chopped sweet red pepper
      1/4           cup  finely chopped seeded fresh poblano pepper

When I was a kid, my parents would make cornbread for my siblings and
me. We would slather butter and maple syrup over the warm bread - it
was delicious. Today, I experiment a lot with recipes, just as my
grandma and mom did, and that's how my version of their easy
cornbread recipe was born!

Prep: 20 min.
Bake: 20 min.

Preheat oven to 400F. Whisk together the first 5 ingredients. In
another bowl, whisk eggs, milk and honey until blended. Add to
cornmeal mixture; stir just until moistened. Fold in carrots and peppers.

Transfer to a greased 8" square baking pan. Bake until a toothpick
inserted in center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve warm.

Cal 149, Fat 2g, Carb 28g, Sod 367mg, Fiber 2g, Pro 5g

Review: This recipe has something going for it and that's why I'm
going to try some adjustments next time. The flavors of the finely
chopped vegetables really add something to this cornbread, a depth of
flavor you don't expect. That said, the bread needs just a bit of fat
to really make it enjoyable - the tiny amount of fat from the cup of
2% milk is not enough. I plan to add some butter or olive oil next time.

S(Internet address):
   https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/garden-vegetable-cornbread/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 142 Calories; 2g Fat (13.0%
calories from fat); 5g Protein; 26g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber;
49mg Cholesterol; 347mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 0 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2020 - 0120