Maple Oat Bread

Fri, 08 Jan 2021 19:30:55 -0800
v121.n003.2
* Exported from MasterCook *

                              Bread, Maple Oat

Recipe By     : Kevin Lynch
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Grains                          Low Fat
                 Posted

      3/4           cup  hot water -- +
   2        tablespoons  hot water
      1/2           cup  rolled oats
      1/4           cup  maple syrup
      1/4           cup  butter -- melted
   1 1/4      teaspoons  salt
      1/2      teaspoon  cinnamon
   2               cups  all-purpose flour
      3/4           cup  whole wheat flour
   2 1/4      teaspoons  instant yeast
                         water
   3        tablespoons  maple sugar

I had been taking a little break from maple but then I came across
this recipe for a maple oat bread that I just had to try. This bread
is baked with maple syrup in it and maple sugar is sprinkle on top.
The maple-y goodness does not stop there though as I had a jar of
maple butter that I was just itching to try. In addition to using the
rolled oats this recipe also includes some whole wheat flour which I
always like to see. This is a yeast based bread so it takes a bit
more effort than the quick breads that I more usually make but it is
well worth it. The smell of the maple bread baking was just amazing
and only built up the anticipation even more. I could barely wait for
the bread to cool down enough to cut of a slice to enjoy. The maple
bread was great! It had a nice crisp crust with a light and soft
inside and the smelled just like maple syrup. The maple flavour
however was more subtle and I really enjoyed it. The maple butter
that I served with the bread with added a ton of maple flavour as
well. The maple butter tasted just like maple syrup but it had the
texture of butter. I will definitely be making this bread again.

Cook Time: 4:20
Total: 4:20

Mix the hot water, oats, maple syrup, butter, salt and cinnamon in a bowl.

Add the flours and yeast and stir to form a dough.

Knead the dough for 10 minutes.

Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover and let it rise to double
its size, about 60 to 90 minutes.

Deflate the dough and form it into an 8" long log.

Place the dough into a greased loaf pan, cover and let it rise over
the edge, about 60 to 90 minutes.

Brush the top with water and sprinkle with the maple sugar.

Bake in a preheated 350F/180C for 35 to 40 minutes. Cover in foil
after the first 15 minutes to prevent burning.

Let cool for 5 minutes and remove from pan.

Review: Oat and maple sounds like a great combo

Review: Yum! I love fresh baked bread. Maple and oats sounds awesome!

Question: wow, it looks delicious. I plan on trying it for Sunday's
brunch, and I was wondering if it would be okay to start it the night
before (let it rise through all night the 1st time)? Thanks.
Response: I have not tried that. It might be better to let it do the
second rising in the fridge overnight. Then let it come to room
temperature before baking.

S(Internet address):
   https://www.closetcooking.com/maple-oat-bread/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 132 Calories; 3g Fat (22.5%
calories from fat); 3g Protein; 23g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber;
8mg Cholesterol; 198mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2020 - 0314