15 Min Puff Pastry

Sat, 24 Apr 2021 16:08:58 -0700
v121.n020.2
* Exported from MasterCook *

                            Puff Pastry, 15 Min

Recipe By     : Christina Lane
Serving Size  : 6     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Bread-Bakers Mailing List       Hand Made
                 Posted

   1                cup  all-purpose flour -- (125 g)
      1/4      teaspoon  salt -- fine
   10       tablespoons  butter -- high-quality, cold, (5 oz)
      1/3           cup  water -- ice cold

Puff pastry recipes using my famous homemade 15-minute puff pastry-so
delicious and handy to keep around in the freezer. Plus, ways to use
homemade puff pastry!

PREP: 15 minutes
TOTAL: 15 minutes

In a medium bowl, add the flour and salt. Stir to mix.

Next, cube the butter and then add it to the flour bowl. Using a
pastry blender or two knives, cut the butter into the dough. It will
be very crumbly, and you're done when the butter is in uniform pieces
all about the size of peas.

Next, make a hole in the center of the dough and pour in all of the
water. Using a fork, stir to combine the dough.

Flour a cutting board, and add the dough. Pat it into a rough square.
You will still see chunks of butter and it will seem too dry, but do
not add extra water. The dough will come together with each roll.

Flour the rolling pin, and roll the dough out in front of you into a
rectangle about 10" long. No need to be too precise here.

Fold the bottom third of the dough over the middle of the dough. Fold
the upper third of the dough on top of the middle too. Rotate the
dough one-quarter turn, and repeat. Use additional flour as needed to
prevent the dough from sticking.

Roll out, fold, and turn the dough at least 6 or 7 times.

When done, wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill for at least one
hour, or overnight. Dough may be frozen, too.

Roll out with flour for desired puff pastry use. Please note that
this recipe does not have baking temperature and time, because you're
supposed to use this pastry in any recipe that calls for one sheet of
puff pastry. Understand?

Cal 245, Fat 19g, Carb 16g, Sod 242g, Fiber 1g, Pro 2g

Review: I just tried making the dough in my food processor. It came
out silky smooth and I didn't have to roll as many times. It is
resting in the fridge now, will roll it out and make something out of
it tomorrow. If it works it couldn't be easier! Thank you so much for
this recipe.

Question: I have no idea how this dough is made but I think that
there should be an instructions.
Response: This recipe is meant to be used with a recipe calling for
puff pastry. Make the dough using these instructions, and then use
the dough in another recipe that calls for puff pastry.

Question: It's not. Could you please say how long and at what temp?
Thanks.  Response: Ok, now I see what you mean. This recipe is meant
to be used in place of puff pastry in any recipe you chose. You could
make apple turnovers (https://www.dessertfortwo.com/apple-turnovers/)
or ham and cheese puff pastry squares
(https://www.dessertfortwo.com/ham-and-cheese-puff-pastry-squares/).
You're not really supposed to bake it and eat it on its own. Sorry.

Review: 450F 17-19mins, depending on recipe/ingredients

Review: For temperture, bake as directed for time listed on recipes ,
usually, 375 deg. farenheight. Time is not the same for all baked
products , as it depends on the ingredients used.

Review: Thank you so much for this recipe!! It was super easy and it
came our perfectly. I just made some puff pastrt wrapped jalapeno
poppers with it and I'm so glad i didn't use store bought dough.
Definitely a keeper recipe.

made this today: worked great with amounts given. Hint for anyone who
is lazy (like me) coarsely grate very cold butter into flour, which
makes for a very uniform mixture! Thanks for the recipe!!

Review: I need to make a few batches and keep them in my freezer! So
so much more affordable than the premade stuffs.

Review: Just made this to top a Curry Chicken Pot Pie and it was
absolutely amazing! Followed your instructions exactly, including the
Kerrygold butter. It was so delicious, we had to stop ourselves from
eating it off the leftover pie. I'll be making this so often it's
ridiculous. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Review: Okay, just made my first batch! It was super easy just like you said.
I was wondering how longer this would keep in the freezer?
I am going to try this as a "pie crust" for some mini quiches that I
make ahead every week for a quick on the go breakfast.

Review: Waouh!! from enemy to best friends ! i can't stop any more. i
do two doughs per week. thanks for sharing.

Review: I have a food intolerance mainly gluten intolerance. I am
going to try subbing my flour mix 125 grams plus 1/4 tsp xantham for
the flour and follow rest of recipe. It should work. Just too hot out
right now to bake or would be pulling out everything to make
something. I have usually ignored puff pastry since going gluten free
but this might work out with just the minor adjustment I mentioned.
Will let you know once weather cools a bit.

Review: This was so easy to make. It tasted wonderful. Thank you for sharing!

Question: Do you know what will happen if you don't use a high
quality butter? Will it still turn out just not as well?
Response: ALL butter has some water. But the highest quality butter
(Grade AA) has less water, more milkfat. Google 'Butter Grading' to learn more.

Review: Just be careful with the butter. Don't cut it in too fine.
Those nice pieces are what makes the puff, well puff.

Review: I've always hesitated to make puff pastry because I've failed
so miserably with other pastry type things. I made this yesterday; not
only was it easy but it tasted WAY better than store bought. So many
buttery layers of flaky goodness! I also have to say thanks for the
Kerrygold butter tip! I've been hunting for the perfect biscuit recipe
and it turns out I had it but just needed quality butter. Life =
changed.

Review: Thanks for posting this so I can Pin It! I made this in
culinary classic techniques class a long time ago. We used it to wrap
beef Wellingtons, also nice for so many other savory dishes too. I
learned that, if you have time, you can wrap in plastic and put it in
the fridge to chill for about 15 minutes between each turn. Keeping
the butter cold is what forms the layers and the puffiness, so
working the 5 turns at once may cause the butter to melt in,
especially if you have hot hands. Mine are usually freezing in the
winter though.

Source:
   "adapted from Clotilde Dusoulier"
S(Internet address):
   https://www.dessertfortwo.com/15-minute-puff-pastry/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 245 Calories; 19g Fat (70.5%
calories from fat); 2g Protein; 16g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
52mg Cholesterol; 285mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 4 Fat.

NOTES : 2020 - 1215