Muenster Bread

Fri, 30 Apr 2021 15:39:52 -0700
v121.n020.5
* Exported from MasterCook *

                              Bread, Muenster

Recipe By     : Melanie Mero
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Posted

   4 1/2            tsp  active dry yeast -- (2 pkgs/1/4 oz each)
   1                cup  2% milk -- warm, (110 to 115F)
      1/2           cup  butter -- softened
   2        tablespoons  sugar
   1           teaspoon  salt
   3 1/4           cups  all-purpose flour -- (to 3 3/4C)
   1              large  egg -- plus
   1              large  egg yolk -- room temp
   4               cups  Muenster cheese -- shredded
   1              large  egg white -- beaten

Many years ago my sister and I won blue ribbons in 4-H with this
bread. The recipe makes a beautiful round golden loaf. With a layer
of cheese peeking out of every slice, it's definitely worth the effort.

Prep: 20 min. + rising
Bake: 40 min. + cooling
Makes: 1 loaf (16 slices)

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in milk. Add the butter, sugar, salt
and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour
to form a soft dough.

Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6 to 8
minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover
and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

In a large bowl, beat egg and yolk; stir in cheese. Punch down dough;
roll into a 1" circle.

Place in a greased 10" cast-iron skillet or 9" round baking pan,
letting dough drape over the edges. Spoon the cheese mixture into
center of dough. Gather dough up over filling in 1 1/2" pleats.
Gently squeeze pleats together at top and twist to make a topknot.
Let rise 10 to 15 minutes.

Brush loaf with egg white. Bake at 375F for 40 to 45 minutes. Cool on
a wire rack for 20 minutes. Serve warm.

Cal 237, Fat 16g, Carb 22g, Sod 399mg, Fiber 1g, Pro 11g

Review: Along time ago, I was fortunate to work with a young lady
from Ida, MI. She brought this magnificent Muenster Bread in to share
at a pot luck we were having.  Oh my gosh, I have made it for special
occasions, gift giving and just because I was hungry for it.  It is
delicious!!!  If I can make this bread anyone can, just follow the
directions. You won\'t be sorry.

Review: This recipe is a family favorite now.  The bread has a great
density to it that balances well with the muenster cheese.  For
variety, we will sometimes add pepperoni to it and dip our slices in
pizza sauce.

Review: I make this bread a few times a year. It is great!

Review: My daughter made this for a New Year's Eve party.  I'd give 10 stars!

Review: This makes a great Lenten or meatless day meal for a
family!  Just dip slices in pasta sauce & enjoy!

Review: I was beyond excited to find this recipe. My neighbor gave us
a very large block of muenster. I have been baking scratch bread for
5 years now so I  have developed enough skills and confidence to try
new recipes. I have no idea what I did wrong. If anyone reads this
and has any ideas, please, please, please let me know. I have read
the recipe dozens of times as well as reviewed my actions. I did
think it was a lot of butter, but I continued  on...  For some reason
that eludes me, I couldn't get gluten to form. I barely got a slight
stretch much less the desired "window pane" bread makers look for.
The other 4 reviews are positive,  but unfortunately no one mentioned
any pitfalls that I might have fallen in to. Bottom line: I made a
very, very dense disc, but the gooey cheese was great when warm.
After that it was trash. My main lesson learned was to never try new
recipes for my mother on Mother's Day.

S(Internet address):
   https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/muenster-bread/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 274 Calories; 15g Fat (50.9%
calories from fat); 11g Protein; 22g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
70mg Cholesterol; 386mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1
Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 2 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2021 - 0430