Turkish Pide

Mon, 03 May 2021 17:07:47 -0700
v121.n022.3
* Exported from MasterCook *

                                Turkish Pide

Recipe By     : Analida Braeger
Serving Size  : 4     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Ethnic                          Hand Made
                 Posted                          Stand Mixer

                         Dough:
   1 3/4           cups  flour
      3/4           cup  water -- warm
   2                tsp  active dry yeast
   1                tsp  sugar
   2                tsp  salt
      1/2          Tbsp  olive oil -- Note 1:
                         Filling:
      3/4           cup  Feta cheese -- crumbled
      2/3           cup  mozzarella -- shredded
                         parsley -- curly, finely chopped
      1/4           tsp  cinnamon
      1/8           tsp  black pepper -- crackecrackecracked
                         Egg wash components:
   1                     egg -- beaten with
   1         Tablespoon  water -- + added to it for egg-wash and olive oil
      1/4           tsp  nigella seeds -- for sprinkling
   1               Tbsp  cornmeal -- for dusting board

I've never met a carbohydrate I didn't like! I am in love with
Turkish bread: pide. So what exactly is pide? Well, it's a Turkish
bread that can be eaten plain or stuffed. Some of the most popular
stuffing choices are: seasoned lamb, feta, or spinach.

Note 1: for oiling the bowl to prove the dough and egg wash

Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 15 minutes
Total: 35 minutes

In a large bowl place flour and salt.

In a small bowl place the warm water (the water should be between
100F-110F). Add the yeast and sugar, stir lightly and let it sit
until frothy. This will take about 5 to 10 minutes.

Add the yeast mixture to the flour and blend well until a soft dough
forms. I like to use my hands but a dough hook on a stand mixer will
work fine too.

Place inside a bowl that has been rubbed with a little of the olive
oil. Cover and let it sit until double in size. Save the remaining
olive oil for the egg wash.

Preheat oven to 400F.

Turn dough onto a floured surface. Punch down and knead for about 5 minutes.

Mix beaten egg, water and remaining olive oil to make an egg wash.
Stir and place in fridge until ready to use.

Roll dough into a ball and divide into 4 equal parts.

Using a rolling pin roll out into 12" x 3" oval shape. It will be thin.

Place filling down the center of the oval.

Pinch the top and bottom of the oval to create a boat shape, and fold
sides inwards.

Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with nigella seeds.

Place individual pide on a baking sheet that has been sprinkled with cornmeal.

Bake for about 12 to 15 minutes, or until pide appears golden and crispy.

Recipe Notes: How long can I store the pide in the refrigerator? Once
they have completely cooled you can store the in the refrigerator for
up to 3 days. Place them in an airtight container or zip top bags.

How can I reheat the pide? Reheat in the oven at 250F for 10 minutes
until warm in the center. I like to put them in my Cosori Air Fryer
for 5 minutes at 250F.

Can I freeze the pide? Yes, you can freeze these for up to two months
in an airtight container after they are completely cooled. Reheat in
the oven at 250F for 10 to 12 minutes or 10 minutes in an air fryer at 250F.

How long does it take for the dough to double in size?  The rise time
is largely depends on the room temperature where you prove the
dough.  Typical times are 45 minutes for a 70 F room.  Proofing
drawers are usually 80-90F with 75% humidity and can cut the time in half.

Cal 385, Fat 14g, Carb 47g, Sod 163mg, Fiber 3g, Pro 18g

Question: Hi, I made this recipe last night and there were a couple
of instructions that I struggled with. The ingredients list says that
the egg wash is 1 egg, 1 Tblsp water, but then instruction step #2
says to mix the egg with olive oil, so I wasn't sure if the egg wash
was meant to contain water, oil or both.
Then, instruction step 8 says: "Roll dough into a cylinder and divide
into 4 equal parts", so I cut the dough into 4 smaller cylinders. But
I couldn't make sense of this because each ball of dough wasn't large
enough to make a 12" x 3" oval shape, so I ended up combining it all
back together and making 1 single pide, rather than 4 smaller ones.
Was that right?
I'd love clarification on these problems because this recipe was
absolutely delicious and I'd love to make it again. I didn't have
feta, so my mix was grated haloumi, cherry tomatoes and spinach.
Response: Thanks for your questions. I just updated the Turkish Pide
recipe this morning with all new step-by-step photos and some
clarifications on steps.
To answer your questions:
A little olive oil is used to oil the bowl to prove the dough in and
the rest is put in the egg wash.
The dough is rolled into a ball and cut into 4 pieces. Take a look at
the update and let me know if you have any questions.

Question: Can you please tell me roughly how long will it take for
the dough to get double in size?
Response: The rise time is largely depends on the room temperature
where you prove the dough.  Typical times are 45 minutes for a 70 F
room.  Proofing drawers are usually 80-90 with 75% humidity and can
cut the time in half.

S(Internet address):
   https://ethnicspoon.com/turkish-bread-pide/#wprm-recipe-container-7247

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 385 Calories; 14g Fat (33.6%
calories from fat); 16g Protein; 47g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber;
95mg Cholesterol; 1479mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 3 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2
Lean Meat; 2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2021 - 0120