Caraway Seed Rye Bread

Sun, 30 May 2021 16:22:21 -0700
v121.n023.4
* Exported from MasterCook *

                          Bread, Caraway Seed Rye

Recipe By     : Millie Feather
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Fatfree                         Grains
                 Posted

   4 1/2      teaspoons  active dry yeast -- (2 pkgs/1/4 oz each)
   2               cups  water -- warm, (110 to 115F), divided
      1/4           cup  brown sugar -- packed
   1         tablespoon  caraway seeds
   1         tablespoon  canola oil
   2          teaspoons  salt
   2 1/2           cups  rye flour
   2 3/4           cups  all-purpose flour -- divided, (to 3 1/4C)

My parents were immigrants from Czechoslovakia and my mother would
pull out this rye bread recipe when guests came over for dinner.
Every time I bake it, I get nostalgic for those days.

Prep: 20 min. + rising
Bake: 25 min.
Makes: 2 loaves (10 slices each)

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Add brown
sugar, caraway, oil, salt and remaining water; mix well. Stir in rye
flour and 1 cup all-purpose flour; beat until smooth. Add enough
remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.

Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6 to 8
minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover
and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

Punch dough down; divide in half. Shape each half into a ball; place
in 2 greased 8" round baking pans or ovenproof skillets. Flatten
balls to a 6" diameter. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled,
about 30 minutes. Bake at 375F for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.

Cal 126, Fat 1g, Carb 26g, Sod 238mg, Fiber 3g, Pro 3g

Review: Pretty good, I didn\'t have caraway at hand so I did a tsp
each of rosemary, oregano and thyme. I think I would give this 5
stars if the recipe was also formulated with weights for those if us
who want to assure consistency, but that\'s just me.

Review: I had to join just to leave a review on this one. I\'ve
looked for a good rye bread recipe for a while now and this one is
perfect! I was trying to get away from all the recipes that call for
molasses which I\'m not a big fan of (tried a couple of them).  Gave
this recipe a shot and it was perfect! I used two 9x5 bread pans to
bake it and they turned out wonderfully. Highly recommended.

Review: This recipe makes delicious, caraway-rye bread.  I used
medium rye flour and the texture was wonderful.  Not heavy at all
--  more like rye, sandwich bread.  Perfect for enjoying with a
schmear of butter still warm from the oven..  Unlike many breads,
this did not start to dry out and get hard the next day or
two.  Flavor-wise, texture-wise, storage-wise, this recipe is
definitely a keeper.  If your bread doesn't rise, it's NOT the
recipe's fault. This is a well-hydrated dough that responds well to
yeast.  Even with my 2 year old yeast, my bread rose
beautifully.   My first rise always climbs the large bowl.   So this
recipe should also do well when baked in bread pans.  I'm thinking it
would also be excellent for hoagie-style rye sandwich rolls. However,
be sure your yeast is not dead, or that your yeast is exposed to
liquid that it too hot -- especially if you're using instant
yeast.  If using instant yeast, best to keep the water's temperature
to 110 degrees or under, or it may kill the yeast..

Review: I have made this several times now.  An excellent Rye bread
that rises and bakes beautifully and  smells so good while it's baking!

Review: Followed exactly as stated and boy I became a superstar at
home and at work! Very good recipe! The bread is moist and the
caraway is not overpowering.

S(Internet address):
   https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/caraway-seed-rye-bread/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 122 Calories; 1g Fat (8.3%
calories from fat); 3g Protein; 25g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
0mg Cholesterol; 215mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
Vegetable; 0 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2021 - 0430