Yellow Fever Bread

Sun, 25 Jul 2021 23:03:18 -0700
v121.n028.6
* Exported from MasterCook *

                            Bread, Yellow Fever

Recipe By     :John
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Ethnic                          Low Fat
                 Posted

   2 1/4            tsp  active dry yeast -- 1 (.25 oz) pkg
   1           teaspoon  granulated sugar -- white
   3               cups  warm water -- (110F/45C)
   8 1/2           cups  all-purpose flour -- divided
   1           teaspoon  salt
   2          teaspoons  curry powder
   2          teaspoons  ground turmeric
      3/4           cup  clarified butter -- divided

If you like soft bread and the taste of curry, then you will like this bread!

Prep: 25 min
Cook: 45 min
Ready In: 7 hr 10 min

In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Let stand
until creamy, about 10 minutes.

In a separate bowl, sift together 4 1/2 cups flour, salt, curry
powder and turmeric. Make a well in the center of flour mixture. Pour
in yeast mixture and 1/2 cup clarified butter. Stir in the remaining
4 cups flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until a stiff dough is formed. When
the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured
surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes.

Grease a bowl with remaining clarified butter, place the dough in the
bowl and turn to coat with butter. Cover with a damp cloth and let
rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 4 hours.

After 4 hours punch dough down, flip over and let rise for 2 more hours.

Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface.
Divide the dough into two equal pieces and form into loaves. Place
the loaves into two lightly greased 9x5" loaf pans. Preheat oven to
400F (200C).

Bake dough in preheated oven for 45 to 60 minutes, until loaves are
golden brown and sound hollow when tapped.

Reviewer:  I made it into rolls and used my breadmaker to do the
dough. The rising times are very long--wasn't sure if that was for a
reason or not. It can take that long for me if I just leave the dough
out but if I put it in the oven with the light on it doubles in about
1/2 hour. I didn't use clarified butter--just regular margarine and
they were fine. The baking times seem long, but it did take about 1/2
hour at 400F for my rolls to bake. I halved the recipe and made 8 rolls.

Source:
   "allrecipes.com"
S(Internet Address):
   http://allrecipes.com/recipe/24935/yellow-fever-bread

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 220 Calories; 7g Fat (28.3%
calories from fat); 5g Protein; 34g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
16mg Cholesterol; 91mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 1 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2016 - 0519