Rye Soda Bread

Sun, 12 Sep 2021 17:40:02 -0700
v121.n032.3
* Exported from MasterCook *

                              Bread, Rye Soda

Recipe By     :King Arthur Baking Co.
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Fruit                           Grains
                 Posted

   1                cup  All-Purpose Flour -- Unbleached, (120g)
   1                cup  flour -- pumpernickel, (106g)
   1                cup  Flour -- Irish-Style Wholemeal, (110g)
      3/4           cup  Harvest Grains Blend -- (113g)
   1 1/2      teaspoons  baking soda
   1           teaspoon  salt
   1        tablespoons  caraway seeds -- Note 1:
      1/2           cup  vegetable oil -- (99g)
   3        tablespoons  maple syrup -- (57g)
   2               cups  buttermilk -- (454g)
   1                cup  currants -- or raisins, (142g)

When this soda bread came out of our test kitchen, it was a big hit
with practically everyone who took a bite (or three, or five). The
moist crumb counterbalances the crunchiness from the grains and
seeds, and the slight sweetness complements the subtle earthiness of
the whole grains. If you prefer the more traditional flavor of rye,
we recommend you add the optional caraway seeds; we like the bread
both with and without.

Note 1: (to 2 Tbsp), (7g to 14g), optional; for traditional rye flavor

PREP: 10 mins
BAKE: 1:10 to 1:15
TOTAL: 1:30

Preheat the oven to 375F. Lightly grease a 9"x 4"x 4" loaf pan or a
9" x 5" loaf pan.

Combine the flours, Harvest Grains Blend, baking soda, salt, and
seeds in a large bowl.

In a separate bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the oil, maple
syrup, and buttermilk.

Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry, stirring just until blended.

Fold in the currants or raisins.

Transfer the batter to the prepared pan, smoothing the top with a spatula.

Bake the bread for 70 to 75 minutes (60 to 65 minutes for a 9" x 5"
pan), tenting it with foil if the top becomes too dark; a toothpick
inserted into the center should come out clean.

Remove the bread from the oven. After 10 minutes, turn it out onto a
rack to cool completely.

Tips: You may notice some green spots when you slice into this loaf
after it's cooled. Don't panic; these spots are sunflower seeds that
have chemically reacted with the baking soda while in the oven. The
bread is perfectly safe and tasty to eat.
If our Irish-Style Wholemeal Flour isn't a pantry staple in your
home, our Premium 100% Whole Wheat Flour or White Whole Wheat Flour
are fine substitutes.
To make soda bread muffins: Divide the batter evenly among 12 lightly
greased muffin cups. Bake for 16 to 18 minutes, until a toothpick
inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Remove the
muffins from the oven, and after 5 minutes turn them out onto a rack to cool.

Cal 220, Fat 9g, Carb 30g, Sod 300mg, Fiber 4g, Pro 5g

S(Internet address):
   https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/rye-soda-bread-recipe

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 194 Calories; 7g Fat (33.8%
calories from fat); 4g Protein; 29g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
1mg Cholesterol; 285mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0
Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2021 - 0912