Blueberry Waffles with Fast Blueberry Sauce

Sat, 02 Oct 2021 18:05:14 -0700
v121.n036.7
* Exported from MasterCook *

                Waffles with Fast Blueberry Sauce, Blueberry

Recipe By     : Swizzlesticks
Serving Size  : 6     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Bread-Bakers Mailing List       Fruit
                 Main Dish                       Pancakes/Waffles
                 Posted

   3                     egg yolks -- beaten
   1 2/3           cups  milk
   2               cups  all-purpose flour
   2 1/4      teaspoons  baking powder
      1/2      teaspoon  salt
      1/4           cup  butter -- melted
   3                     egg whites -- stiffly beaten
      2/3           cup  blueberries
   1 1/2           cups  blueberries
   3        tablespoons  honey
      1/2           cup  orange juice
   1         tablespoon  cornstarch

I am fortunate to have four blueberry bushes in my back yard, and
they supply me with fresh blueberries all summer long. This is one of
the recipes that I use to help use up the massive amount of berries
that I pick each summer.

Prep: 40 mins
Cook: 20 mins
Total: 1 hr

In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks and milk. Stir in flour,
baking powder and salt. Stir in butter, and set mixture aside for
about 30 minutes.

Preheat a lightly greased waffle iron.

Fold egg whites and 2/3 cup blueberries into the mixture. Scoop
portions of the mixture into the prepared waffle iron, and cook until
golden brown.

To prepare the sauce, in a medium saucepan over medium heat, mix 1
1/2 cups blueberries, honey and 1/4 cup orange juice. Bring to a
boil. Mix remaining orange juice and cornstarch in a small bowl, and
stir into the blueberry mixture. Stir constantly until thickened.
Serve warm over waffles.

Cal 365, Fat 12g, Carb 55g, Sod 445mg, Fiber 3g, Pro 10g

Review: I used buttermilk and I opted out of using blueberries in the
actual waffle recipe only because I didn't want to clean up the mess
of my waffle maker. I used Trop 50 orange juice in the sauce. Both
the waffles and the sauce were outstanding.....my boys ate themselves
silly and said this is my best waffle recipe EVER. The waffles turned
out crispy on the outside and tender on the inside--perfect!

Review: I have made about 5 waffle recipes recently searching for the
perfect one for my new highly-rated waffle iron. I needed waffles
that freeze well because I like to make a big batch and pull one out
of the freezer everyone morning. I'm happy to say my search is over.
I made this with chocolate chips and no sauce but I'm sure it's great
with the blueberries as called for. Great hot and fresh and great
from frozen too.

Review: The waffles were a 2 star but the sauce was a definate 4.5! I
can't tell what made the waffles so mediocre. Maybe some vanilla and
a bit of sugar would help? But the sauce was definately awesome. I
also used frozen organic blueberries since the fresh ones are out of
season. I will probably find an alternate waffle recipe but still use
the sauce.

Review: The waffle has such a light and fluffy texture. I made the
batter the night before and stored in fridge so I didn't have to wait
in the morning. The sauce is just perfect. So thick and full of
flavors. Leftover sauce went well on yogurt as well.

Review: This waffle recipe really has a lot of potential. After
reading a lot of the reviews I added 1T of sugar to the batter. I did
not want bland tasting waffles. I used buttermilk and I beat the heck
out of the egg whites until it was foamy frothy and stiff about 2
minutes. I added the egg whites to the batter and then the fresh
blueberries last. I folded the blueberries gently into the batter. I
scooped portions of the batter onto my waffle grill and cooked until
it was golden brown. I ended up with 12 waffles. The waffle is pretty
with the blueberries cooked right in. Some were oozing with its
purple berry juices right out of the waffles- nice. The waffles
itself tastes good with the addition of the sugar. However I strongly
feel that the star of this recipe is the blueberry sauce. It is
perfectly sweet with the right touvh of honey and fresh blueberries.
I love the addition of fresh orange juice. The sauce is easy to
prepare with a thick consistency. It is a beautiful smooth purple
bluish color. Next time I will double the sauce because this is just
enough for 4 waffles. I would make this again with my changes and
even use the sauce for other recipes.

Review: I only made the sauce but it was absolutely delicious and a
great change from syrup. Highly recommended!

Review: I did not have blueberries so I used cranberries. This is a
very good recipe. Our waffle iron hasn't been out of the cupboard for
over ten years. It was good to use it again. I can't wait to try the
blueberry syrup and to make the batter with blueberries. I will make
a special trip to the store next time if I don't have blueberries on hand.

Review: I have made this recipe twice now once with the sauce and
once without. My family loved them both ways. I did increase the
blueberries in the waffles to 1 cup. Thanks for the wonderful recipe.

Review: I have made the waffles twice now. Yum! For the sauce I used
a bag of mixed (blue black straw and raspberry) berries. I didn't
have orange juice so I used a "tropical" orange drink. My 8 year old
initially refused to try the sauce. Now I have been instructed to
never buy syrup again.

Review: I just made this for Sunday brunch and it came out
wonderfully! The batter recipe was very quick and simple and it
cooked up really well in my Belgian waffle maker (I was pleasantly
surprised since the recipe that came with the waffle maker is
complicated takes over an hour to be ready and the resulting waffles
were mediocre). The blueberry sauce was quite easy and quick to make
as well. I served the waffles with whipped cream and powdered sugar.
Great recipe!

Review: this is a yummy recipe...especially the sauce...i followed
the ingredients as is but i don't separate the eggs...like another
reviewer i made the batter ahead and let it rest for awhile...felt
like i was having dessert for supper...will make again...thanks for the recipe.

Review: I haven't tried the sauce but I tried the waffles. I must
admit I was skeptical at first. I have been making waffles for years
but never with blueberries. I did a few things differently. Iused 4
eggs. I seperated my yolk from the milk and blended the yolk until
lemon coloured then added the ingredients. 1TB of Vanilla. I blended
the egg whites until stiff peaks. I also added 2/3 C of buttermilk
and 1 1/4C of regular milk. The texture seemed wierd when everything
is mixed but as you let it sit it does work out in the end. I was
impressed with the waffles and I will use this again!

Review: For the people who said their waffles are getting soggy. Do
not remove them until the waffles stop steaming & You must put them
on a baking rack as soon as you remove them from the Waffle Maker. (I
use our grated Pizza Pan works GREAT! Hope that helps.

Review: Superb! Very easy and quick to make. I didn't wait the 30
minutes either for the batter and it turned out fine. However I would
put in a whole cup of blueberries to the batter if not more (but I
really like the blueberry flavor).

Review: the waffles themselves (without blueberries) tasted great. i
prefer without or maybe dice the bluberries before mixing with the
batter. for the sauce i used maple syrup because we didnt have honey
and it still had a rich flavor and consistency. same deal with the
bluberries though. my kids liked it but wouldnt eat the whole berries.

Review: This is the best waffle recipe I have ever made from scratch.
The bluberry sauce was perfect not too sweet. I can be used for
pancakes icecream etc as well.

Review: Have done the opposite of many others I have only made ther
waffles and not the sauce.. Very tasty! Much better than frozen
imitation blueberry waffles! I do use frozen blueberries rinsed and patted dry.

Review: Very good waffle recipe! I did read the reviews first and
made the following changes to make it a little loweer in fat/cals:
Used fat free milk 1/4 cup applesauce for the butter and I also added
1/2 cup splenda because posters had said it wasn't sweet enough. This
made a waffle so fluffy light and just the right amount of sweetness.
The sauce was really good too I didn't have any orange juice but was
needing to use up more blueberries so I just made it with apple
juice. Very tasty! This recipe makes an awful lot of waffles I'm
freezing some I hope they will toast up well.

Review: Light and fluffy and not too hard to do at all. Batter sat
for more like 40 minutes. Made about 7 waffles. It was fine without
sugar - no one noticed. The sauce was not such a hit; though I liked
it others found it odd. The only "problem" was that some blueberries
blew up in the waffle iron and made a mess of burnt stuff. Give these a try!

Review: I thought this recipe was great! I had just purchased a
waffle iron and this recipes worked great. I thought it would stick
but it didn't. My family really enjoyed the blueberry sauce.

Review: Very Good. I only made the waffles. Being a Blueberry fan I
found that I needed to almost double the blueberries. Probably had I
made the sauce I would have not needed to add more berries.

Review: I have had trouble finding a reliable recipe for homemade
waffles...until now. This recipe is easy to make delicious and
nutritious compared to conventional waffles. The batter needs a
little sweetening - I added about 2 Tb sugar with good results. The
sauce is head and shoulders above any commercially prepared syrup or
preserves you can buy. I used naked juice (blueberry/pomegranate)
instead of OJ and huckleberry honey. Fantastic! Cook about 5 to 6
minutes on standard non-stick waffle iron. I did not wait the whole
30 minutes...too hungry; it was great even after 10 to 15 minutes
wait. Try this one and you will not be disappointed!

Review: I added a Tbsp. of white sugar to the waffle batter
substituted 1Tbsp of butter with Coconut oil and chopped the frozen
blueberries... the waffles were perfect! The syrup was so amazing and
simple! I think I may try to substitute ALL the butter for coconut
oil and use honey instead of white sugar next time to make an even
healthier meal!

S(Internet address):
   https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/35756/blueberry-waffles-with-fast-blueberry-sauce/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 376 Calories; 13g Fat (31.1%
calories from fat); 10g Protein; 55g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber;
136mg Cholesterol; 507mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 1/2
Lean Meat; 1/2 Fruit; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 2 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2021 - 0102