Freezing Pizza Dough

"Ken Vaughan" <kvaughan@acsalaska.net>
Sat, 16 Oct 2021 10:12:43 -0400
v121.n038.2
Re: making your own pizza dough. This is a pretty basic question, but
figured I'd ask. At what point can you freeze the dough? After mixing
and kneading?

Thanks!
Susie
Atlanta

I find myself using Jim Lahey's no-knead pizza dough a lot. It is an
easy dough but it works best to start Thursday night for Friday
evening pizza. His book is available used for about $5 shipped. The
recipe is in the archives and all over the internet.

Jim recipe uses 500 grams of flour and 12 ounces of fluid with a tiny
amount of yeast. After the long rise (about 18 hours) the dough is
ready to be split into portions and either be:

Used immediately for great pizza.

Put into the fridge and stored for up to a week After a week it has
lost a lot of spring, but makes good thin crust up to 2 weeks.

Frozen for up to 2-3 months. Thaw in the fridge works well

Jim suggests 4 portions per batch, but it depends on the crust
thickness and style of pie.

I fridge or freeze in zip lock bags. Oiled with cooking spray makes it
easier to extract, but works without too.

Long way to say --- after the rise it is ready to freeze.

Ken