Blitz Puff Pastry

Sat, 02 Oct 2021 18:19:30 -0700
v121.n038.3
* Exported from MasterCook *

                             Puff Pastry, Blitz

Recipe By     : Frances Crouter
Categories    : Bread-Bakers Mailing List       Breakfast
                 Posted                          Snacks

   1 1/4           cups  cake flour
   3 3/4           cups  bread flour
   1 1/2      teaspoons  salt
      1/4           cup  sugar -- white
   1 1/4           cups  butter -- cold, Note 1:
   1 1/4           cups  water -- cold
   1 1/2      teaspoons  lemon juice

What puts the puff into puff pastry? It's not yeast or any other
leavening agent, so it must be magic. Okay, so it's not magic, it's
chemistry. Read on to learn how to make an easy version of puff
pastry in your own kitchen - no magic tricks necessary.

Before You Start
Unlike making pie pastry, you don't want the butter to be stone cold.
It should be at a cool room temperature, almost waxy, but not too
soft. I recommend using the paddle attachment on a stand mixer or
using a food processor's "pulse" function to make the dough. You can
also make this dough by hand, using a kitchen knife or a baker's bench knife.
Basically, you want big, big chunks of butter: Cut the sticks
horizontally, so you've got pieces about a quarter inch thick and as
long as your butter stick.
They'll break up a bit in the mixer, but you're really trying to keep
long flakes of butter that will be distributed throughout the dough
(mimicking the effect of a solid sheet of butter in classic puff pastry).

Classical puff pastry has close to a thousand separate layers of
butter and dough. Blitz puff pastry doesn't puff as high, but it sure
is easier to make at home!

Note 1: cut into tablespoon-sized pieces

Prep: 2 hrs
Total: 2 hrs

In a large bowl, stir together the cake flour, bread flour, salt and
white sugar. Stir in the chunks of butter so that each one is
completely coated in flour. Combine the cold water and lemon juice;
stir into the bowl while lightly tossing the ingredients to moisten
them evenly. Gather the dough into a ball.

On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a rectangle
about 1/2" thick. Keep the edges as square as possible. The dough
will look terrible, but don't worry, it will shape up. Fold the dough
into thirds like a business letter, wrap in plastic wrap and
refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

Place the dough on the floured work surface and turn at a 90 degree
angle from the last time you rolled it out. Roll again into a
rectangle again and fold into thirds. If the dough is still cold and
manageable, rotate and roll again, then fold into thirds, or
refrigerate and continue in 30 minutes. Finish by rolling the dough
out to the size of a baking sheet. Place on a lightly floured baking
sheet and wrap in plastic. refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before using.

To use, roll out dough to 1/4" thickness and cut into shapes with a
sharp knife. Use as directed in recipes calling for puff pastry, or
alternatively, enclose desired fillings and bake in a preheated 400F
(200C) oven until puffed and golden brown.

Cal 120, Fat 10g, Carb 8g, Sod 214mg, Fiber 0.1g, Pro 0.7g

Review: Beautiful recipe. I rolled it out a total of four times, and
it puffed up perfectly for both a galette and some palmiers. I will
certainly use this shortcut method again - making the real stuff is
just too much! The recipe is right - the dough looks terrible during
the first roll but it comes together very well by the second or third
rolling. Thanks!

Review: This stuff is awesome!! I'm now "Queen" of the kitchen says
my family. They say I should open a shop and sell this!! I did use
all the advice & tips from the chef Frances Crouter. She's a gem!!

Review: I did have a little difficulty with this pastry and I ended
up rolling it between two sheets of parchment paper (I make the
bottom sheet longer so I can hold it with my hip while I roll). But
the end result was very nice.

Review: This worked perfectly! I was worried I didn't roll it out
right (the rotations confused me) but it was great. Even the scraps
worked well in the oven! I used this recipe for bear claws. I think I
left the dough too thick when I baked it because I didn't get as many
as I expected. Also I rolled the dough out on wax paper. This really
helped when I had to fold the dough the first few times (it would
have just fallen apart).

Review: it was good and as the submitter mentioned it doesn't puff
high but I still have enough layers in m pastry. I used AP flour for
the bread flour I used the same mount of AP flour 1 TBS wheat gluten
and for the cake flour I used 1 1/4 cup sifted AP flour. I had to
make more folding and rolling coz the butter was still visible after step 3.

Review: This worked perfectly! I was worried I didn't roll it out
right (the rotations confused me) but it was great. Even the scraps
worked well in the oven! I used this recipe for bear claws. I think I
left the dough too thick when I baked it because I didn't get as many
as I expected. Also I rolled the dough out on wax paper. This really
helped when I had to fold the dough the first few times (it would
have just fallen apart).

Review: this pastry recipe was absolutly amazing.

S(Internet address):
   https://www.allrecipes.com/article/puff-pastry-dough/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 191 Calories; 10g Fat (47.1%
calories from fat); 3g Protein; 22g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary
Fiber; 26mg Cholesterol; 232mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2
Grain(Starch); 0 Fruit; 2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2021 - 0608