Pancakes with Bacon, Sweet Corn

Fri, 22 Oct 2021 18:45:04 -0700
v121.n039.3
* Exported from MasterCook *

                      Pancakes with Bacon, Sweet Corn

Recipe By     : Kelly Senyei
Serving Size  : 4     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Bread-Bakers Mailing List       Grains
                 Low Fat                         Pancakes/Waffles
                 Posted

   4             strips  thick-cut bacon -- uncooked
      1/3           cup  sliced scallions -- plus more for topping
   1 1/4           cups  sweet corn -- fresh or frozen (thawed)
   1 1/2           cups  all-purpose flour
      1/2           cup  cornmeal
   2 1/2      teaspoons  baking powder
      1/2      teaspoon  baking soda
      1/4      teaspoon  salt
   1 3/4           cups  buttermilk
   1              large  egg
   2        Tablespoons  unsalted butter -- melted
                         Maple syrup -- for serving

To magnify the corn flavor and add a bit of textural intrigue to this
recipe, I've included a touch of cornmeal. It makes the resulting
pancakes a bit more dense, but the flavor and contrast in consistency
with the fluffy standard pancake batter can't be beat.

PREP: 15 MINUTES
COOK: 5 MINUTES

Dice the bacon into 1/4" pieces then add it to a large skillet set
over medium-low heat. Cook the bacon until all the fat has rendered
off. Using a slotted spoon, remove the bacon from the pan into a
small bowl and set it aside. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the
fat, reserving any extra drippings to cook the pancakes (optional).

Add the scallions to the pan and cook, stirring, until sauteed, about
3 minutes. Add the scallions to the bowl with the bacon and stir to combine.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder,
baking soda and salt.

In a separate medium bowl or liquid measuring cup, whisk together the
buttermilk, egg and melted butter. Add the wet mixture to the dry
ingredients and stir just until combined. (The mixture should be
lumpy.) Stir in the bacon-scallion mixture and the corn.

Heat a large griddle or skillet then grease it with the reserved
bacon fat or butter. Drop 1/4C portions of the batter onto the heated
griddle. Once bubbles form across the tops of the pancakes, flip them
once and continue cooking an additional 1 to 2 minutes or until cooked through.

Serve the pancakes warm with maple syrup.

Cal 572, Fat 26g, Carb 66g, Sod 659mg, Fiber 4g, Pro 17g

Review: I made these this morning for breakfast as it's Shrove
Tuesday. I didn't want to do sweet pancakes for breakfast and prefer
savoury. These were super delicious. I added an egg to the stack at
the end which was a tasty addition to the pancakes. Great recipe, thank you!

Review: Excellent! We started out Thanksgiving Day with a stack of
these delicious fluffy pancakes. We loved it, this is a do again!

Review: Great recipe! Me and my husband do not get the American hype
for sweet-sour combination, but these were really good and fluffy! We
ate it with sour cream. Thanks!

Review: I made these pancakes for dinner and everyone loved them.
They're light, fluffy and packed with flavor!

Question: Does the bacon make or break these savory pancakes? I'm a
vegetarian and thinking about omitting the bacon.
Response: You can definitely omit it! Just sauté the scallions and
corn in olive oil or any other preferred oil.

Review: You had me at "crispy lardons of thick-cut bacon," This looks
like an interesting and unique recipe. Going on my 'to try' board.

S(Internet address):
   https://www.justataste.com/sweet-corn-pancakes-bacon-recipe/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 429 Calories; 12g Fat (25.8%
calories from fat); 15g Protein; 65g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber;
78mg Cholesterol; 837mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 4 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean
Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2020 - 0423