Country Herb Rolls

Fri, 22 Oct 2021 19:18:21 -0700
v121.n039.4
* Exported from MasterCook *

                            Rolls, Country Herb

Recipe By     : Red Star Yeast Co.
Categories    : Bread-Bakers Mailing List       Hand Made
                 Low Fat                         Muffins/Rolls
                 Posted

   3               Tbsp  oil -- or melted butter
   1                cup  water
      1/2           cup  milk
   3               Tbsp  sugar
   2 1/4           tsp.  Active Dry Yeast -- (1/4oz, 7g)
   1                     egg
   3 1/2           cups  bread flour
      1/2           cup  cornmeal
   1                tsp  dried minced onion
      1/2           tsp  garlic salt
   1                tsp  Italian seasoning

These rolls are a delicious and savory addition to any meal.

In large pot over medium heat, or microwave-safe bowl, add oil (or
butter), water and milk. Heat to 110-115F. Pour into a mixing bowl.

Add sugar and egg; stir in yeast. Whisk until mixture is smooth.

Add flour, cornmeal, onion, salt and seasoning. Stir with heavy
wooden spoon. If necessary, work in a little additional flour with
your hands until the dough is no longer sticky. Knead on floured
surface for 2 to 3 minutes. Place dough in lightly oiled bowl and
turn to grease top. Cover; let rise until dough tests ripe.

Punch down, cover and let rest 10 minutes. Turn out onto a lightly
floured surface. Divide into 24 portions (cut dough into 4 pieces,
the cut each of those into 6 pieces). To shape, roll each piece into
a 6" long rope. Tie in loose knot. Place rolls into greased 9x13-inch
pan. Cover and let rise until indentation remains after lightly touching.

Preheat oven to 375F. Brush tops with 2 tbsp melted butter or oil.
Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack.

**You can substitute Instant (fast-rising) yeast in place of Active
Dry Yeast. When using Instant Yeast, expect your dough to rise
faster. Always let your dough rise until ripe. Traditional methods:
use equal amounts; Bread Machine: use 1/2 tsp Instant Yeast OR 3/4
tsp Active Dry Yeast per cup of flour in your recipe.

Review: Just got done making these for my Thanksgiving dinner
tomorrow. I had to taste test one, and they are amazing! My whole
house smells wonderful, and these rolls are going to be the perfect
complement to all the other food I will be serving at dinner tomorrow.

Question: I'd like to make these early for Thanksgiving. Is it
possible to freeze them either before or after baking? If before
baking, do I just thaw them Thanksgiving morning and stick them in
the oven for a few minutes to warm them up? Thanks very much!
Response: It is best to par-bake yeasted rolls. To par-bake rolls,
bake them at 275-300F for about 20 minutes or until the crust begins
to form, but before it starts to brown. The next day, or when you
will serving them, bake them at the normal baking temperature until
they are the desired color.

Review: Made these tonight for a family dinner tomorrow. Oh my
goodness! I am going to have to make another batch. My husband and I
had to try them.and.oops we no longer have enough for our dinner
tomorrow! Light, fluffy, the herbs are wonderful. No need to put
additional butter on these rolls. They are delicious!

S(Internet address):
   https://redstaryeast.com/recipes/country-herb-rolls/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 111 Calories; 2g Fat (20.2%
calories from fat); 3g Protein; 19g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary
Fiber; 10mg Cholesterol; 49mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 1219