Seedy-Beer Heavy Dark Rye

"Ken Vaughan" <kvaughan@acsalaska.net>
Mon, 08 Nov 2021 16:47:59 -0500
v121.n041.1
* Exported from MasterCook *

            Seedy-Beer Heavy Dark Rye

Recipe By   :
Serving Size : 0   Preparation Time :0:00
Categories  :

  550            grams  all purpose flour
  250            grams  dark rye flour -- whole grain rye flour
     1/2           cup  margarine -- or butter or neutral oil
  12            ounces  Alaskan Amber beer -- or porter or stout at room temperature
  1         tablespoon  bread spice -- Brotspice- See notes
  6             ounces  molasses -- weighed (1/2 cup volume) not black strap
  1           teaspoon  kosher salt
  1         tablespoon  King Arthur deli rye or rye improver -- optional but adds flavor
  2        tablespoons  caramel color -- optional
  2 1/4      teaspoons  instant or rapid rise yeast -- 1 packet
  1                cup  hemp hearts
  1                cup  sunflower seeds

Weigh flours into the bowl of a stand mixer. Add bread spice, King
Arthur improver (if using), salt, and yeast. Mix well to distribute
evenly. Add hemp hearts and sunflower seeds.

Weigh molasses into a separate bowl. Add margarine and warm to melt
margarine(microwave). Add the beer (It does not need to be stale -
foaming is just fine) and mix to assure the molasses is not on the
bottom in a mass. Add Carmel color if using

Add liquid to the mixer bowl and using low speed mix the dough until
all flour is moistened and the dough is uniform pulling away from the
side of the bowl. About 5-7 minutes.

Have the oven warmed to about 110 degrees as a rising environment (we
keep the house about 65 degrees) and turned off.  v Cover the mixer
bowl (I use a disposable shower cap with elastic bands over the top of
the bowl) Let rise in the warmed oven about 2-3 hours or doubled in
volume.

Shape the dough in the form desired.

My spouse likes "english muffin shapes" so I line a 1/2 sheet pan with
parchment and spray with cooking spray oil. I use a second sheet of
parchment to spread 1 pound pieces of dough to about 1/2 in thickness
and cut into 3 inch disks with a biscuit cutter. Rounds are place on
the sheet pan (about a dozen) and put back into to the warm oven for
about an hour or two. Additional dough is processed to rounds on
another sheet pan. After raising, in the warm oven remove the pans and
heat the oven to 350 degrees F. The raised rounds are cooked on a
griddle or skillet at medium heat until lightly browned on both sides
(3-4 minutes per side). They are placed back on the sheet pan and once
pan is full, baked at 350 degrees F for 10-15 minutes - until an
instant read thermometer reads 190 degrees F.  After cooling to
lukewarm the rounds are "forked" for easy splitting.

Use of other forms will require appropriate baking times to reach
internal temps of 190 degrees or more.

  "A flavorful pumpernickel style rye that can be made into rolls,
"english muffins" or loaves. Stand mixer recommended, but can be
mixed by hand" Yield: "3 pounds of dough" - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 1630 Calories; 78g Fat (39.4%
calories from fat); 69g Protein; 200g Carbohydrate; 72g Dietary Fiber;
0mg Cholesterol; 18mg Sodium; 9g Total Sugars; 0mcg Vitamin D; 202mg
Calcium; 20mg Iron; 2696mg Potassium; 2172mg Phosphorus. Exchanges: .

NOTES : Seed density based on Polish Rye bread sold by Barrio Bakery
in Tucson AZ.  James Beard Finalist bakery with some great breads!!

Bread spice, also called brotspice is a mixture of anise seed, caraway
seed, fennel seed, and/or dill seed.  I use equal parts by volume of
anise, caraway, and fennel. Seeds may be crushed or ground. I used
whole seeds.

Different rye flours can be used. Suggest that pumpernickel meal not
exceed 100 grams unless you really want a strongly coarse chewy
pumpernickle style bread

Cocoa or instant coffee powder can be used instead of carmel color, or
may be omitted entirely.

Don't have or want beer in this bread -- fruit juices work
instead. especially orange juice for a limpa style flavor
profile. Sour pickle brine/juice or saurkraut brine can be used with
water to make the liquid quanity. If using brines, they contain
considerable salt so skip adding the kosher salt. Or just water will
get the bread made.

Want a stronger texture, use bread flour instead of all purpose.

All whole grain can be achieved by using whole wheat, white whole
wheat, or spelt flours.

Like a smooth glaze appearance on loafs of rye bread -- heat 1/2 cup
water with 2 teaspoons of corn starch (Great Britian Corn Flour) in
the microwave in short bursts until it comes to a boil and the
cornstarch turns clear.  Cool to lukewarm and brush over the surface
of the rye bread as soon as it is removed from the oven. The result is
a shiny chewy coat on the surface of the loaf after it has cooled.

Ken