Failproof Fluffy Butter Biscuits

Mon, 08 Nov 2021 19:32:05 -0800
v121.n041.2
* Exported from MasterCook *

                     Biscuits, Failproof Fluffy Butter

Recipe By     : Robin T
Categories    : Biscuits/Scones                 Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Posted

   8               Tbsp  butter -- salted, cold
   1                tsp  sugar -- or sugar substitute, optional
   2 1/2              c  flour -- plain white
   1                  c  light cream -- or half and half
   4                tsp  baking powder

After attempts to make fluffy but buttery tasting biscuits, I think I
finally came up with a terrific recipe. I hope you enjoy it!
Sweet or savory, these homemade biscuits are a delight! It's a basic
old-fashioned biscuit. They are nice and fluffy thanks to the baking
soda. Baked until golden brown, they're warm and flaky on the inside.
The biscuits have a slightly buttery taste. Try them with marmalade
or some creamy sausage gravy. The Test Kitchen

PREP: 10 Min
COOK: 10 Min

Preheat oven to 375F.

Slice cold butter into pieces. Combine with sugar, baking powder, and flour.

Mix (using your hands or a pastry cutter) until the mixture is
crumbly and combined.

Add 1 cup light cream or half and half; knead until just combined.

On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to about 1" thickness.
Using a biscuit cutter, cut out biscuits.

Place biscuits on an ungreased cookie sheet.

Brush a little bit of leftover cream on top of each biscuit.

Bake for approximately 12 to 15 minutes or until very lightly golden
on top. Watch carefully, do not over bake.

Review: THESE NEED SALT! I made these for a large family get together
and they were an embarrassing basket of hockey pucks. My fault for
not realizing that salt is essential to any bread.

Review: if you make sure to use salted butter it should turn out
fine. I've made this recipe exactly as written 5 times now, even
tripled it one time, and have had no problems. Most of the time the
"hockey puck" dilemma comes from overworking the dough. Once you add
the liquid, mix as little as possible. This is the first recipe I've
ever made that DIDN'T turn out like hockey pucks!

Review: I have a tiny wonderful secret to share that I wanted to try
first. .....and it turned out amazing with your recipe also!!! And a
littlle lemon juice (about a tsp). See how fluffier and softer they
become... years I spent looking...years.!!! I add lemon juice to all
my rising doughs and batters now. I was a great cook before...now I
am an Awesome Chef. Please try and Enjoy!

Review: I just had to comment again....these were so good this
morning, I made a double batch again for dinner and we did breakfast
for my bday dinner! :D Thanks again for the foolproof recipe! I'm
hooked! (and on my way to being huge! LOL!)

Review: I have read through the comments about this recipe and just
have to say this:... Make it as it is.. with the original
ingredients. You have disappointments when you get creative and alter
the original... never overstir biscuit dough.. as said above .. just
until moistened... if you are diabetic, or ill with something you are
allergic to, or not able to eat..then don't make the recipe. Sugar is
optional! If you are used to altering recipes to be sugar free, gluten free,

S(Internet address):
   https://www.justapinch.com/recipes/bread/biscuits/failproof-fluffy-butter-biscuits.html

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 175 Calories; 10g Fat (51.8%
calories from fat); 3g Protein; 18g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
29mg Cholesterol; 213mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 2 Fat; 0
Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2021 - 1108