Bread Machine Flavorful Herb Bread

Mon, 24 Jan 2022 20:17:19 -0800
v122.n003.6
* Exported from MasterCook *

                     Bread Machine Flavorful Herb Bread

Recipe By     : Gerri Hamilton
Categories    : Bread                           Bread Machine
                 Bread-Bakers Mailing List       Low Fat
                 Posted

   1                cup  milk -- warm whole, (70 to 80F)
   1              large  egg -- room temp
   2        tablespoons  butter -- softened
      1/4           cup  onion -- dried minced
   2        tablespoons  sugar
   1 1/2      teaspoons  salt
   2        tablespoons  parsley -- flakes, dried
   1           teaspoon  oregano -- dried
   3 1/2           cups  bread flour
   2          teaspoons  active dry yeast

This bread is one of my favorites. It has a wonderful texture and
slices beautifully, and the flavor of the herbs really comes through.
(Psst - If you don't have a bread machine on hand, learn how to make
bread without one!)

Prep: 15 min.
Bake: 3 to 4 hours
Makes: 1 loaf (16 slices)

In a bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by
manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf
size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions (check
dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons water or
flour if needed).

Editor's Note: We recommend you do not use a bread machine's
time-delay feature for this recipe.

Cal 125, Fat 2g, Carb 23g, Sod 248mg, Fiber 1g, Pro 5g

Review: You can find bread machines at Thrift Stores now, $5-10
each!  I bought 2 so I can make 1 more for a gift.  E-Z P-Z! This
worked well but I like to use Italian Seasoning from an herb
bottle.  It has a variety of seasonings.

Review: without a machine:
https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/how-do-i-make-the-dough-for-bread-machine-recipes-without-a-bread-machine/

Review: Best bread ever.  My daughter-in-law had to make it for me, as
I don't have a bread machine and there were no manual directions.
It's especially good toasted and slathered with butter-(OK I know
that's not healthy- but it's delicious!)

Review: The settings on bread machines bake the bread for a
programmed amount of time; then signal when the cycle is over. I LOVE
my machine!

Review: Was just looking for a herbed bread recipe to make for
supper, and this looked good - it was super good bread! I did add
another tablespoon of milk after the first 5 minutes of mixing, and
it came out beautiful. Smelled delicious while it was baking, too

Review: I tried this recipe today. I changed it slightly. I used 100%
whole wheat instead of white and 1/2 cup fresh green onions instead
of the dried onion. I also added a little garlic powder. I had a
little trouble with the wet/dry ratio on this recipe which I think is
why the top flopped in a little (maybe a little too much yeast for
how much flour). I ended up adding a LOT more milk than this recipe
calls for and 1/2 cup less flour. The flavor of this bread is
delicious. It would be awesome with cheese or anything tomato based. Mmmmm.

Review: For those of you who would like info on a traditional bread
making method for this recipe, it is no different than following any
other traditional recipe. Start with the liquids, egg, add the
instant yeast, then sugar (or pre-risen traditional yeast/sugar/
water for ten minutes) then half the flour; add the salt (never let
the salt touch the yeast directly or it can affect how the bread
rises).  Add the rest of the flour. Oil a bowl; let rise about an
hour and 15 to 30 mins. until double or when you poke your finger
into the dough your thumbprint leaves an indentation. Make into buns
or bread. Let rise until double about 45 to 60 mins. depending how
warm your kitchen is; I usually turn the thermostat up to 25c; the
dough will rise beautifully!  Bake 18 mins. @ 400 for buns until
golden or 20 mins. for small bread pans and 22-25 for  regular loaf
pans. I never use the cook cycle in the bread machine as I find this
is a good way to ruin a great recipe. For me it is a bread mixer
only. I've been making bread this way for over 30 years; including
sweet and specialty doughs. Any bread machine recipe can be converted
this way. I have used traditional, instant, pizza and bread machine
yeast interchangeably all this time. The only thing to remember is
that the yeast must be put into the liquids. If not, bits of yeast
will be throughout your cooked bread.  Regular recipes can be
converted to bread machine recipes in kind successfully by dividing
by the number of cups of flour your machine uses.

Example:  traditional recipe calls for 12 cups flour and your machine
calls for 4 cups; divide all the ingredients by 3 except the yeast
which I always use 1 1/2 for white flour only and 2 tsps for white
and grain flours because of their heavier weight. Hope this helps!

S(Internet address):
   https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/flavorful-herb-bread/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 144 Calories; 3g Fat (17.7%
calories from fat); 5g Protein; 25g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary
Fiber; 19mg Cholesterol; 228mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2
Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat; 0
Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2021 - 0430