90 Minute Buttercrust Bread

Mon, 24 Jan 2022 20:21:44 -0800
v122.n003.7
* Exported from MasterCook *

                        Bread, 90 Minute Buttercrust

Recipe By     : Stephie Cooks
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Low Fat                         Posted
                 Stand Mixer

   5 1/2           cups  bread flour -- (to 6C)
   4 1/2            tsp  yeast -- (2 pkgs)
   2               Tbsp  sugar
   1               Tbsp  salt
   1                cup  milk
   1 1/4           cups  water
   3               Tbsp  butter -- or margarine
   1               Tbsp  butter -- or margarine, melted

A traditional, basic white bread made easy by a streamlined method.
Made special with butter in the bread and on top too!

Yield: 2 loaves

In a large mixer bowl, combine 2 1/2 cups flour, yeast, sugar and
salt; mix well. In saucepan or microwave-safe bowl, heat milk, water
and 3 Tbsp butter until warm (120-130F, butter does not need to
melt). Add to flour mixture. Beat at low speed until moistened; beat
3 minutes at medium speed. By hand, gradually stir in enough
remaining flour to make a firm dough. Knead on floured surface until
smooth and elastic, 5 to 8 minutes. Place in greased bowl, turning to
grease top. Cover; let rise in warm oven (Turn oven to lowest setting
for 1 minute, TURN OFF.) or warm area for 20 minutes.

Punch down dough. Divide into 2 parts. On lightly floured surface,
roll or pat each half to a 14x7" rectangle. Starting with shorter
side, roll up tightly, pressing dough into roll with each turn. Pinch
edges and ends to seal. Place in greased 8x4" bread pans. Cover; let
rise in warm oven (Turn oven to lowest setting for 1 minute, TURN
OFF.) or warm area until almost doubled, about 30 minutes. With a
very sharp knife, make a slash across the top of each loaf and pour
melted butter into each slash. Preheat oven to 400F. Bake for 20 to
25 minutes until golden brown. Remove from pans; cool.

Review: Oh dear Lord Phenomenal recipe, I made one of the loaves and
the other half I place in a large muffin tin and frizzed the butter.
Can't say enough, even the picky one broke his diet and ate a roll or two.

Review: I love this recipe - it makes wonderful white bread. I
recently got a grinder and have been grinding hard white wheat. I am
wondering about trying this recipe with 1/2 freshly-milled whole
wheat flour. I would probably add some vital wheat gluten. Should I
do anything else different? Longer rising times or longer kneading? Thanks

Review: I recently halved this recipe and the bread was delicious
tasting. I did find it to be a little dense so next time I'll try to
reduce the amount of salt.

Review: I made this in my bread machine and it came out delicious!

Review: I made this bread for the first time today, and I didn't have
bread flour. I planned on adding some gluten flour, but forgot! It
turned out nicely in spite of that. Next time, I'll add some gluten
or use bread flour.

Question: I made this bread last night. It's delicious - and so easy!
Can I freeze the dough? Before or after the first rise? Also - can I
do the first rise overnight in the refrigerator or will it overproof?
Response: I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the recipe! We don't
recommend freezing the dough - it will damage the gluten network in
the dough as well as the yeast cells, which will result in poor
rising. Here's a link to some tips on freezing finished breads:
https://redstaryeast.com/yeast-baking-lessons/postpone-baking/. If
you do the first rise in the refrigerator, make sure to cover tightly
with plastic wrap so the dough doesn't dry out. You may need to punch
the dough down a few times so it doesn't overflow.

Review: I make bread every week so consider myself a baker. This was
very good and my hubby loved it. I mixed it in my Kitchen Aid and let
it rise about an hour the first rise, punched down and rolled into
ball and let it rise a second time on parchment. Then slipped it into
my pre heated le crueset iron pan, on the parchment, covered and
baked at 425 for 30 minutes. It was fantastic. Did not put butter on
top. We like a crispy crust, so left it in the oven uncovered for
another 5 minutes. Easy, peasy.

Review: I have been making this bread every week since I first tried
it about 2 months ago. One loaf goes to my daughter and one I keep.
Absolutely love it! I layer Swiss cheese on it before I roll it, and
the flavor is fantastic.

S(Internet address):
   https://redstaryeast.com/recipes/90-minute-buttercrust-bread/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 214 Calories; 4g Fat (17.9%
calories from fat); 7g Protein; 37g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary
Fiber; 10mg Cholesterol; 439mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 2 1/2
Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 0909