Bacon-Kale Cornbread

Mon, 21 Feb 2022 22:14:06 -0800
v122.n006.5
* Exported from MasterCook *

                           Cornbread, Bacon-Kale

Recipe By     : Food Network Kitchen
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Cast-Iron Skillet               Grains
                 Hand Made                       Posted

                         Cooking spray
   1 1/2           cups  cornmeal -- yellow
      1/4           cup  all-purpose flour
   2        tablespoons  sugar
   1           teaspoon  baking powder
      1/2      teaspoon  baking soda
                         Kosher salt
   1                     egg
   1                cup  milk
   1                cup  sour cream -- or plain Greek yogurt
   2        tablespoons  unsalted butter -- melted
      1/2           cup  onion -- chopped & sauteed
      1/2           cup  kale -- chopped & sauteed
      1/2           cup  bacon -- or pancetta, cooked & crumbled

Prep: 20 min
Cook: 35 min
Total: 55 min

Preheat the oven to 400F. Coat a 9" square baking dish or a 9"
cast-iron skillet with cooking spray. Whisk the cornmeal, flour,
sugar, baking powder, baking soda and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large
bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg, milk, sour cream and melted
butter; whisk into the dry ingredients until combined. Fold in the
onion, kale and bacon.

Pour the batter into the prepared dish or skillet. Bake until the
cornbread springs back when pressed in the center, 25 to 35 minutes.
Let cool 15 minutes in the dish, then loosen the edges and slice.

Review: I substituted two boxes of Jiffy corn bread mix for the dry
ingredients to save a little time, and this turned out wonderfully.
Using the timing guidelines in the recipe resulted in a pretty wet
"corn pudding"-like consistency. It tasted good after cutting out a
slice, but I decided to cover the rest with foil and throw it back
into the oven until more cooked through. It actually took about
another 30 to 40 minutes covered at 350F to cook all the way through,
but I definitely preferred it this way. I used a ten inch cast-iron
skillet, so a larger skillet would probably cook more quickly, though
I prefer the thicker results of a smaller diameter pan. It turned out
about two inches high.

S(Internet address):
   https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/bacon-kale-cornbread-recipe-2269241

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 131 Calories; 7g Fat (50.5%
calories from fat); 4g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
25mg Cholesterol; 167mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2
Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2021 - 1011