Glazed Cinnamon-Cardamom Buns

Mon, 21 Feb 2022 22:15:45 -0800
v122.n006.6
* Exported from MasterCook *

                       Buns, Glazed Cinnamon-Cardamom

Recipe By     : Kat Boytsova
Serving Size  : 8     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Bread-Bakers Mailing List       Muffins/Rolls
                 Posted                          Stand Mixer

                         For the Dough:
   1                cup  whole milk
   1              Tbsp.  active dry yeast
   1              large  egg
   1              large  egg yolk
   3 1/2           cups  all-purpose flour -- (475 g)
      1/2           cup  granulated sugar -- (105 g)
   1 1/2           tsp.  ground cardamom -- (3 g)
   1               tsp.  kosher salt
   6              Tbsp.  unsalted butter -- room temp, plus more for bowl
                         For the Filling and Assembly:
   6              Tbsp.  unsalted butter -- room temp
   3              Tbsp.  ground cinnamon
   1 1/2           cups  packed brown sugar -- divided
                         All-purpose flour -- for surface

After seeing the cinnamon roll from Paris's Circus Bakery pop up
everywhere on Instagram, we developed this recipe as an homage. (Hey,
it was cheaper than a plane ticket.) Circus Bakery's roll is made
with sourdough, but our cardamom-scented version is more briochelike;
of course, they're both streaked with a sweet, buttery cinnamon
filling. It takes some practice to master the distinctive twisted
shape - try it out a few times with a twisted-up towel or piece of
parchment paper to get a feel for it. And if your knot isn't perfect,
don't worry! The buns will be delicious no matter what.

ACTIVE: 1:10
TOTAL: 5:20, plus an overnight proof

For the Dough:

Heat milk in a small saucepan over low until just warm; an
instant-read thermometer should register 105F-115F. Pour into the
large bowl of a stand mixer. Whisk in yeast and let sit until foamy,
10 to 15 minutes. You should see a layer of foam on the surface; this
means that the yeast is active.

Add egg, egg yolk, flour, granulated sugar, cardamom, and salt to
yeast mixture and mix with dough hook on low speed until well
combined. Increase speed to medium and continue to mix until dough is
smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Gradually add butter 1 Tbsp. at
a time, mixing to incorporate slightly before adding more. When 6
Tbsp. butter are incorporated, mix until dough is smooth, supple, and
shiny, 10 to 15 minutes longer (you need to mix this long to develop
the gluten).

Transfer dough to a large buttered bowl, cover with plastic wrap and
a kitchen towel, and let sit at room temperature until doubled in
size, 1-1 1/2 hours. Punch dough down, cover bowl tightly in plastic
wrap, and chill overnight (the slow proof creates more flavor because
it gives the yeast more time to process the sugar).

Filling and Assembly:

Mix butter, cinnamon, and 1/2 cup brown sugar in a medium bowl until combined.

Have your tools and filling nearby; you want to work quickly and keep
dough as chilled as possible to make rolling more manageable. Turn
out dough onto a lightly floured piece of parchment paper and roll to
a 1/4"-thick rectangle, about 16"x12". Cover with plastic and chill
until dough is firm, 30 to 60 minutes.

Spread butter mixture over two-thirds of dough. Fold plain side over
the middle, then fold opposite third over (like folding an envelope).
Roll to a 12"x8" rectangle about 1/2" thick. Slice lengthwise into
eight 1" thick strips.

Working one at a time, lay strip on clean work surface with long side
facing you. Using your palms, gently twist each end in opposite
directions until entire strip is spiraled. Hold one end of strip
between a thumb and index finger. Working away from you, tightly wrap
strip around 3 fingers. Wrap around fingers again, placing second
loop closer to the palm of your hand. As you bring strip across the
back of your hand, cross over first loop, angling toward the end of
your index finger. Cross dough over front of your hand and tuck the
end into the center while removing your fingers and pushing through
to the other side to create a knot. Check out step-by-step photos
here. You want to twist these tightly so that they rise while baking.
If you're having trouble, twist them into any kind of knot that you
can - just make sure it's wrapped tightly.

Divide cinnamon twists between 2 rimmed baking sheets, spacing evenly
apart. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let sit at room
temperature until doubled in size, 45 to 60 minutes.

Place racks in upper and lower thirds of oven; preheat to 325F. Bake
cinnamon buns, rotating pans from top to bottom halfway through,
until deeply golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes.

Bring remaining 1 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup water to a boil in a
small saucepan. Generously brush syrup over hot buns. If you like a
sweeter pastry, wait 5 minutes, then brush again.

Do Ahead: Buns can be made 2 days ahead. Tightly wrap with plastic
and store at room temperature.

Cal 630, Fat 20g, Carb 105g, Sod 275mg, Fiber 4g, Pro 9g

Review: SO GOOD! This was one of the first things I've ever baked and
it turned out ah-mazing. Coworkers and friends were so impressed. I
don't have a stand mixer, so I had to mix / knead the dough by hand
and they still turned out delicious and fluffy. I added some crushed
walnuts for some crunch and would love continue experimenting with
the filling - but the cardamom + cinnamon are delicious together.
Will definitely make these again!

Review: Make these, now. I'm no pastry chef, and yet they turned out
perfect. PS - the recipe works in a bread-maker on the dough cycle.

Review: The first time I made these I didn't divide the brown sugar
and the filling oozed out a bit. They were still delicious. I'm
making them again. This time I feel that I mastered the knot and they
look really good. I divided the brown sugar this time and I know they
are going to be awesome.

Review: The texture of these is perfect. I didn't bother with the
fussy shaping, and I prefer confectioners' sugar icing. I had guests
and we all enjoyed them. I like the cool rise aspect to this recipe
because you don't have to get up at the crack of dawn to make them.

S(Internet address):
   https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/glazed-cinnamon-cardamom-buns

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 603 Calories; 20g Fat (29.8%
calories from fat); 9g Protein; 99g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber;
104mg Cholesterol; 281mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 3 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 4 Fat; 3 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 0704